Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default 1933 rear seat lower removal?

I want to get under the rear seat cushion to install differental port and to add oil to my differental. Any help will be great appreciated because I don;t want to break something but removing it wrong.
Thanks for all your experience.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: 1933 rear seat lower removal?

Frank, I'm not sure quite why you want to take the seat out, but on my coupe I just crawl under the back and add the oil using the type of oil bottle that has a flexible spout.

It's not difficult.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
bobH

On mine, (33) sedan, the seat cushion is just sitting there. Lift it up and out. So, I'm wondering, maybe something is missing on mine????? There are a couple of 'nubs' on the floor-riser, one on each side, that locate the cushion. The 'nubs' are perhaps 3/4 to 1 inch tall, so the seat is not lifted very much to get it out.
If mine is not right, or something is missing, please tell me. Thanks.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
CC33

The cushion just lifts up and out. But that isn't how you fill the axle. Fill it from underneath with an oil pump. The pump can be purchased at any auto parts store. It screws right onto the oil bottle in most cases, and then work the plunger until full. Cheap too.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
Jim in Wisconsin

The rear seat cushion on my 33 2 door sedan also just lifts out. Probably wouldn't pass today's safety tests!
There is a canvas cover over the differential which could be removed to make it a little easier to get at the filler plug I suppose.
Jim in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Wisconsin View Post
The rear seat cushion on my 33 2 door sedan also just lifts out. Probably wouldn't pass today's safety tests!
There is a canvas cover over the differential which could be removed to make it a little easier to get at the filler plug I suppose.
Thanks!
That is strange that they had a canvas cover rather than a metal cover as issued later?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
bobH

The fabric cover, formed over a wire frame, is common enough that it is also on my very late/ early 34. I'm told that the fabric material varied - could also be the top-insert material. This is one of those areas where if you wanted to know more, I'd suggest contacting David G, or any of the other guru's that post here.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Mart

It might be, (just a hunch that there was contact between the axle and the floor during extreme bottoming out of the axle. To save things getting bent they may have used something that would give if and when contact was made.

Some roads were a lot rougher then than what we are used to today.

Just a guess, but why else would they do that?

My 33 coupe has a round metal panel in the trunk floor, but a sedan with 3 people in the back could be subject to a lot more weight over the back (especially if a trunk were fitted) and would experience more suspension movement.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
DavidG

Rear and rumble seat '33s and '34s had a scrap upholstery or top material insert with a spring wire stiffener sewn into the perimeter. There are three formed tabs in the wire that conform to the three horizontal slots in the short vertical section of the opening in the floor which hold the cover in place.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
It might be, (just a hunch that there was contact between the axle and the floor during extreme bottoming out of the axle. To save things getting bent they may have used something that would give if and when contact was made.

Some roads were a lot rougher then than what we are used to today.

Just a guess, but why else would they do that?

My 33 coupe has a round metal panel in the trunk floor, but a sedan with 3 people in the back could be subject to a lot more weight over the back (especially if a trunk were fitted) and would experience more suspension movement.

Mart.
Sounds logical! Most roads were dirt back then.
The metal cover they sell is domed so that if the differential bounces up it will not hit the plate. I was told that originally these differential floor covers were cloth in 1933 and in 1934 ford changed them to the doomed metal.
My original 1933 had no original plate but a piece of wood there, so I purchased the metal cover. The cloth covers were no longer sold.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
bobH

The 'piece-of-wood' did not work for me. Even minor bumps on decent paved roads would knock it out. I thought about the 'dog-dish' type of metal, but gave up the idea because my car has the three 'recesses' for the wire-framed fabric to fit into. I chose to leave it more-or-less 'stock', with the fabric. I would never have guessed that these might have been reproduced. I thought it was/is a DIY project.
(I didn't have much trouble locating original metal covers. Didn't try to use one, because of the three recesses being there.)
Old 10-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC33 View Post
The cushion just lifts up and out. But that isn't how you fill the axle. Fill it from underneath with an oil pump. The pump can be purchased at any auto parts store. It screws right onto the oil bottle in most cases, and then work the plunger until full. Cheap too.
Thanks.. My seat lifted out just like you said. I wanted to replace a wood metal plate I just bought.
I will fill from underneath as you said.