Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
saltman

Default DUMBFOUNDED... still need help!

I see NO way to get the door side window out of my 28 coupe just happens to be the passenger). I have removed the upper trim and sweep, regulator and all window felt channel. Nothing left but door and window with lower metal channel still attached (which does not seem to make any difference). I see NO way it can come out the top... the window will not clear the metal side channels. And, after measuring, even if I took out the lower verticle brace, it would have less of a chance coming out of the bottom. Really need some help here! Thanks Always... SALTMAN
saltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Tinbasher

Default Re: DUMBFOUNDED... still need help!

Sounds like something is bent? Maybe the inner door structure or frame. Take a measurement from the other door from the front edge to the rear edge and see what you have. 3/16 of an inch will jam the window from coming out the top. You should be able to remove the top panel on the door (3 screws) the regulator and lift the window out the top.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
saltman

I don't know what 'top panel' with 3 screws you're talking about? Please respond... SALTMAN
Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
saltman

Hey Tinbasher...
You have made my day... after 3 days of headscratching and beginning to loose faith in my very own sensibilites, do I now see what panel you are talking about. After reading your response and replying to it, I immediately went out to take a closer look and there was that beautiful, most enlightening moment. Its the panel at the very top of the door. I never knew it was removeable...! I thought this part was welded in, a part of the door. The 3 screws you spoke of were not that visable due to rust/dirt. I was about to believe that Ford had hired Houdini to install these things. This is why I have NO fear of asking questions on Fordbarn... I have discovered that even simple things are hard to do if you don't know how to do them and nothing should be assumed by readers. Lastly, I never get tired of saying it... 'you guys are best'! SALTMAN
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Those 3 screws can be very hard to remove. I had to heat two of mine. Once you get the 3 screws out then there is a small peg on the edge of the panel that tucks into a hole in the door, so you may have to tilt the panel to the side a bit then lift.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 07-21-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

saltman: Do NOT hesitate to ask a question(s). By asking a question, others (me included) get educated about our cars. What may seem simple to you may be monumental for others.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
TommyCoupe

Saltman,

Don't feel bad. I was removing the glass from my doors this weekend also, and it was struggle.
Those 3 screws were pretty stubborn. Broke the heads off of 2 screws and now pieces are stuck in the D nuts. Replacing those D nuts doesn't look like fun, so I'm hoping I can extract what's left of the screws without damaging the D nuts.

TommyCoupe-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCoupe View Post
Saltman,

Don't feel bad. I was removing the glass from my doors this weekend also, and it was struggle.
Those 3 screws were pretty stubborn. Broke the heads off of 2 screws and now pieces are stuck in the D nuts. Replacing those D nuts doesn't look like fun, so I'm hoping I can extract what's left of the screws without damaging the D nuts.

TommyCoupe-
A dremel with a diamond bit should allow you to get a well centered hole started. Then drill to the edge of the threads and see if a tap won't grab and remove the remaining thread.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCoupe View Post
Saltman,

TommyCoupe-
That is where just a little heat and a dush of cold water makes the removal of stubborn screws a snap.

The heat "expands" the screw or bolt or nut or whatever it is...then the cold water shocks the part then with some WD-40 or your favorite stuff, off it comes...simple as that.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
1931 flamingo

TommyCoupe: Try putting some 50/50 ATF and acetone on the snapped screws/D-nuts and let it soak. Maybe a left turn drill? Or try drilling them out.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote