Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
mikhett

Default Richporter FD06?Is this a y-block dizzy?

I was told by advance auto that the richporter FD06 was a replacement for a 64 f-100 292 y block,I ordered from amazon 68.00.Now i find out its also listed for a 302 sbf?Am i screwed?Will it fit the y block? it does have an O ring. thanks Mike
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Richporter FD06?Is this a y-block dizzy?

Won't fit. Advasnce Auto shuld take it back, if their return policy is as good as NAPA.

YBlock distributors do not have an O ring.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
YBlock distributors do not have an O ring.
Paul, not entirely true. I have two Motorcraft Y-Block distributors that have O rings. I believe they are late model service replacements. Both have the triangular body.

Mikhett, you say you got the distributor from Amazon? You should be able to return it no problem.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-29-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
darrell

you can tell by the look of it if it fits a yblock.replacement ones did have an o ring.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
you can tell by the look of it if it fits a yblock.replacement ones did have an o ring.
Just checked out some pictures,CarDone,Mallory and MSD Y-block units all have O-rings.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

I think some of the confusion, regarding the Motorcraft distributors with the O ring anyway, is that they are late Service Replacement distributors as indicated by the part #C9ZF-12131-A. The C9 tells us it was manufactured in 1969, 5 years after the last Y's were installed in trucks.

Also, I have heard, and take this as an Ol' Dude tellin' ya, that the service distributors used a 289/302 body with a Y-Block shaft and gear. In fact if you do a search for the C9ZF-12131 part # it will tell you this is a 302 distributor. The A at the end indicates it's for a Y-Block.

I think this is also the distributor that is recommended for Dura-Spark conversion for the Y-Block. Maybe GreenBird will chime in here because I'm not sure about the Dura-Spark conversion.

Mikhett, Sorry about the detour on your thread.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
mikhett

Im sending it back thru Amazon.Iheard the shaft is too long.I found a cardone 30-2808 on Napa they have in stock 105.00 im ordering it friday.
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

There are a couple on e-bay. Cardone 30-2808
Old 12-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
darrell

yes the o ring can be turned into a dura-spark I had one and did just to see if I could.easy job.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
paul2748

You learn something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Paul, not entirely true. I have two Motorcraft Y-Block distributors that have O rings. I believe they are late model service replacements. Both have the triangular body.

Mikhett, you say you got the distributor from Amazon? You should be able to return it no problem.
Y
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
LOWRIDER

When I converted my Yblock to Duraspark II I looked all over for a triangle body dist. All I got was dumb looks from the parts places. Guy at the junk yard at least tried to find one looking at the remaining Ford trucks in the yard but they all had the older type. Ended up taking the original shaft to a machine shop & showed him what I wanted done. Ended up costing about the same as a later rebuilt but everything worked out good.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWRIDER View Post
When I converted my Yblock to Duraspark II I looked all over for a triangle body dist. All I got was dumb looks from the parts places. Guy at the junk yard at least tried to find one looking at the remaining Ford trucks in the yard but they all had the older type. Ended up taking the original shaft to a machine shop & showed him what I wanted done. Ended up costing about the same as a later rebuilt but everything worked out good.
Dan,how about a detailed posting about converting to Dura-Spark ? It seems a much more reliable alternative than using Pertronix which lately has had an increased failure rate.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
GREENBIRD56

When you do this conversion with one of the Autolite Y-block distributors, it takes one fancy machine shop part and a Duraspark II donor. The upper rotor shaft of the Y distributor has to be turned down to remove the point cam and sized to suit the Duraspark reluctor / armature (8 bladed trigger rotor). The cam is hardened so I usually grind it off (carefully) before I give it to the machinist. The Y distributor is then assembled with the Duraspark stator plate instead of the old point plate over the modified upper rotor.

Send me a PM with return email address and I'll forward a PDF drawing file that details the modified part for your machinist to use.

Last edited by GREENBIRD56; 01-01-2014 at 01:03 PM.
GREENBIRD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENBIRD56 View Post
When you do this conversion with one of the Autolite Y-block distributors
Thanks, Steve. Just so I understand, it's the Autolite distributor not the Motorcraft distributor you use?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
LOWRIDER

To add to what Steve mentioned, I took the upper rotor shafts from both the Duraspark & yblock dist, along with the armature & just showed the machinist what I wanted. Got it back a couple days later just like I needed it. After it was assembled it looked like a 70's Duraspark dist.
When I picked up the donor dist. at the wrecking yard I also got the short wiring loom that goes between the ignition module & dist. Helps with wiring the new system up & looks better. Wiring diagrams can be found online & they're easy to read. I did away with the ignition resistor that bolts onto the intake manifold. In its place I installed a later model resistor wire under the dash. Again, it makes for a cleaner appearance under the hood.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #16
GREENBIRD56

The common Y block distributor - post '57 - is the Autolite, has the round grooved base and the internal flyweights like this photo ... slots in the older upper rotor control the advance.

The newer Motorcraft version has the triangular base described earlier - often used by rebuilders to make a more "modern" Y block distributor. That unit can be modified by replacing its point plate and upper rotor with parts from a '75 and up Duraspark unit.

Last edited by GREENBIRD56; 01-02-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
GREENBIRD56

I believe someone mentioned (earlier in the thread) - the need for a wiring schematic, especially when you are using the Duraspark in an older model vehicle.

This shows how the system is arranged - color coding etc. - and my preferred wiring set-up, which is to use a removable (plug-in) Bosch lighting relay to provide separate power to the coil and control box. As originally constructed, the '75 and up vehicles used a 1.4 OHM ballast resistor wire going to the coil - and full voltage was delivered to the control module. The N.O. lighting relays provide power on both output legs when energized - there are others so beware. The Duraspark had a specific coil and a snap on connector cap but other arrangements can be used.

You don't have to connect the white wire to the starter solenoid for the system to work. But if you do - energizing the solenoid will then notify the Ford design controllers that starting is underway and it will retard the spark by about 6 degrees. A nice feature in cold climates.

The system ground was routed by Ford back to the controller and grounded there to the fender. It caused some service problems and it is best that the distributor end of the arrangement has an engine block ground - as well as the black wire back to the controller.

Ford design controllers use the same "dwell" to charge the coil as the single point distributor, and the coil resistance is limited to a minimum of about 1.5 OHMs. This basically limits the ignition system to the same performance as a basic single point ignition when running. Other controllers are adaptable - MSD - GM - MOPAR and once you have the trigger installed - a lot is possible.

The life of the Ford/Motorcraft controllers has been an issue. It needs to be mounted in a cool convenient location - not adjacent to the exhaust manifold. You want easy access to the controller - and to graft the Ford plug ends into your wiring system - because their service life is spotty......some last forever - and some for a year or two. Carry a spare - they are cheap - and can be changed pretty easily with screwdriver in a few minutes. Serviceability can be maximized with a little forethought.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Good stuff, Steve. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
rick55

Steve, you give the best explanation of this modification than any I have ever read, bar none. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise in this subject. You are truly what these forums are about.
Thanks once again.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote