Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
ole39

Default 39 windshield regulator

tried opening my windshield the other day, and within 3-4 turns it barely came off the seal. do you have to take the dash out to get to the reglator?
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
39coupe

Default Re: 39 windshield regulator

Sorry to tell you, yes you need to remove the dash.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
wisbangman

Yes you do have to take out the dash, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Disconnect the battery terminals. Unscrew the windshield garnish moldings and remove. Remove the windshield regulator knob. remove the screws that hold the windshield regulator to the windshield frame. [ Pray they aren't rusted in. ] Remove the two ignition lock screws that hold the ignition lock to the dash board. Remove the screws that hold the glove box to the dash, and remove the glove box. Disconnect the choke and,throttle cables [ you can see everything very well after you remove the glove box. There are screws on both sides of the dash, on the bottom, that need to come out. If you have a radio, remove the head unit by removing the two j- hooks. Prior to trying to remove the dash, remove the 3 screws that hold the regulator to the cage that it sits in , the regulator is bolted in from the bottom of the cage. The cage is actually welded in to the car frame work. You are now at the point that you may be able to move the dash around enough to inch out the regulator. Remember, the speedo cable and the guages are still not disconnected, and the starter button and high beam indicator light have not been removed, but again,you may have enough slack to inch out the regulator. - if not, then disconnect and remove dash. I may have forgotten something, but you get the idea. Things to watch for - when you are trying to remove the dash, protect the steering column from the dash with a large rag. Things to try first. Even under the best circumstances that regulator gearing is under a lot of pressure . I have learned - the hard way ! that when I open or close my windshield, I always help it along with my hand on the windshield to take off the pressure from the gearing assembly. Remember, they are 72 years old! Another thing I would try FIRST is use your hand to put pressure on the windshield, THEN try to crank it open. While still removing the pressure from the gearing, try opening and closing, keep going back and forth, you just might get lucky and work out the binding - even if you break something it's not working anyway. I would try this back and forth stuff for quite a while. I had one thatIi fixed by this method - good luck !
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
ole39

wow!, thanks for the info! will try the in/out thing 1st.
ole39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
nick kerley

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You DO NOT have to take the dash out to get the windshield regulator out of the 39 ford.
1 Take the molding off from behind the windshield.
2 Take the regulator arms off the windshield frame.
3 Take the 3 bolts out of the regulator. The regulator sits under the dash on top of a steel shelf. These 3 bolts are under this shelf.
4 Take the screws out of the dash at the top, just behind where the windshield is if closed. They are on top very much in your face. This will allow you to pull the top of the dash foreword enough to slide the regulator out from over the aforementioned shelf. It is tight & takes a little patience, but that is how I got mine out, back in, & out again. Be careful that you do not bend the dash. Hope this helps.
Nick Kerley

Last edited by nick kerley; 03-31-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: forgot the garnish molding
nick kerley is offline   Reply With Quote