Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Need advice from the pros about paint

Can one get the original Washington Blue color in PPG Concept?

Larry
Old 10-20-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Need advice from the pros about paint

take the original paint chip from the official paint and finish guide to your paint jobber, have them digitally scan it
i did that with the ford maroon and got a 100% match...

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-20-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:46 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
take the original paint chip from the official paint and finish guide to your paint jobber, have them digitally scan it
i did that with the ford maroon and got a 100% match...
It all depends of the color and the skill of the jobber. The computer will give the closest color to what they have in the computer, not necessarily the actual color that is on the car. Once it is close the jobber will tweak the color for an exact match.

Midnight Cordovan in a fairly recent ford color (1970's Ford, lincoln, Mercury) and just happens to match the Ford Maroon of the A era so it would show up as a 100% match.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
It all depends of the color and the skill of the jobber. The computer will give the closest color to what they have in the computer, not necessarily the actual color that is on the car. Once it is close the jobber will tweak the color for an exact match.

Midnight Cordovan in a fairly recent ford color (1970's Ford, lincoln, Mercury) and just happens to match the Ford Maroon of the A era so it would show up as a 100% match.
i was assuming he was doing a full repaint>>>>>>
of course if your trying to match original paint thats on the car get a panel scanned...
a body shop paint supplier can digitally do this expertly

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-20-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
It all depends of the color and the skill of the jobber. The computer will give the closest color to what they have in the computer, not necessarily the actual color that is on the car.
Mike, honestly while this rumor has floated on here for years, it really is not all that accurate. The computer actually matches it based on the toners they have, -not the colors they have formulated. The brutal truth is, they can match any color closer than the average eye can distinguish the difference.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Mike, honestly while this rumor has floated on here for years, it really is not all that accurate. The computer actually matches it based on the toners they have, -not the colors they have formulated. The brutal truth is, they can match any color closer than the average eye can distinguish the difference.
Hi Brent i believe what mike is reffering to is when i had the maroon scanned it actually matched a pre made color they had already midnight cordovan which was a 100% match...
of course any scan can be mixed and they can supply the percentage of match as you mentioned

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-20-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

More information..

This will be a total paint job over primer. I have no color chips. I assume that PPG Concept paint can be formulated for any old Ford color? Mine is a 1930 CCPU.

I'm looking for the original Washington Blue. Marco's Roadster has it.

Thanks for the great responses so far..

Larry
Old 10-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

buy the official paint and finish guide, it has all the color chips

https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129
Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
wrndln

The color codes for Washington Blue are: DuPont G8381, PPG 1246. I have had problems with two PPG color mixes - Copra Drab and Bonnie Gray. Both PPG colors didn't match the Paint and Finish Guide paint chips. I am positive it wasn't the paint supplier mixing errors. If you have the PPG Concept mixed by the codes above, I would advise having the paint supplier mix a small amount first and see that it matches the Paint and Finish Guide color chip. I learn this the hard and expensive way.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
I'm looking for the original Washington Blue. Marco's Roadster has it.
Better check again Larry.

If memory serves me correctly, Marco's car has an engine that was manufactured on the last day of August and the build date is Sept. of '30. I'm pretty sure it is Lombard Blue as evidenced by the Hessian Blue striping which was a special order color combination.

The other thing is Washington, -nor Lombard was a correct color for a '30 CCPU. The Blue Rock Green, The Rock Moss Green, and Black were factory specified colors unless it was special ordered as a fleet vehicle.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Marco's car is Lombard blue.

A true Lombard will be almost black looking in the shade.

It is possible to get the original formulas from back in the 1930's to get an idea of the tint colors used to make up the paint. I know PPG has a modern formula for Lombard blue. I also know it is not right. The modern formula has all the basic tints from the 30's (there is a hint of green in it), but they added a touch of white. I should have had them not add the touch of white as my Lombard is too light, it looks good- but is not quite right knowing what I know now. Does not matter cause I am not doing a show car.

Just do your best and know the car mostly has to look right to you.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #12
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Better check again Larry.

If memory serves me correctly, Marco's car has an engine that was manufactured on the last day of August and the build date is Sept. of '30. I'm pretty sure it is Lombard Blue as evidenced by the Hessian Blue striping which was a special order color combination.

The other thing is Washington, -nor Lombard was a correct color for a '30 CCPU. The Blue Rock Green, The Rock Moss Green, and Black were factory specified colors unless it was special ordered as a fleet vehicle.
Brent..

I stand corrected. And, I know Washington Blue is not correct for a 1930 CCPU, but I like the color and it matches so well with Tacoma Cream wheels. No point car here..

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I read that there is many "shades" of Washington Blue and I'm looking for the original one.

Larry
Old 10-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Brent..

I stand corrected. And, I know Washington Blue is not correct for a 1930 CCPU, but I like the color and it matches so well with Tacoma Cream wheels. No point car here..

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I read that there is many "shades" of Washington Blue and I'm looking for the original one.

Larry

Yes Larry, there are many shades of blue that folks tout as being Washington Blue, --but to my knowledge there really is just two shades, Washington Blue, and Washington Blue Medium which was used on the mid-thirties Ford V-8s. Both of them are 'original Ford colors' however the Washington Blue is era-correct for the Model-A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Yes Larry, there are many shades of blue that folks tout as being Washington Blue, --but to my knowledge there really is just two shades, Washington Blue, and Washington Blue Medium which was used on the mid-thirties Ford V-8s. Both of them are 'original Ford colors' however the Washington Blue is era-correct for the Model-A.
Brent.. Your opinion..

Would you paint a CCPU the normal WB color or the Medium WB?

Didn't the 37s use the Medium? Normal might be more "rich".. Maybe contrast better with the TC wheels.. Your take?

Larry