Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
PeteCruz2715

Default Early 28 braking system vs the "later" braking system

Can anyone help me understand the difference between the early 1928 braking system and the "later" system? My understanding is the early system is more complex and costly to restore.
PeteCruz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Early 28 braking system vs the "later" braking system

Your understanding is correct, but not to the extent that you might think.

The early system embodies an equaliziing linkage at the center bell-crank shaft. This to equalize the braking action between the two sides of the car. This in addition to possiblity of lost motion at each of the levers where the rods go out to the backing plates which equalize between front and back, each on it's own side.

The later system in simplification eliminated the side to side equalization and instead counted on some natural "give" to the system (i.e. lost motion in stretching of the rods or front to back movement of the center shaft/bell crank in it's bearings) to accomplish the same end.

Theoretically the earlier system is operationally superior and SHOULD result in more even braking between all four wheels. In practice, the difference is small and Ford took advantage of the simplification at the same time he had to confront the complication of adding emergency brakes to satisfy those pesky state boards of inspection.

The additonal cost to restore the earlier system is primarily in replacement "AR" parts that may or may not be restorable. The split center shaft and it's toggles and links are wont to wear and restoration frequently is not an option. And mostly replacement parts are not available reproduction. This is where costs can mount.

From the center shaft outward to the wheels, the setup is nearly the same, with the only differences being in the carriers and backing plates of the rear wheel where the emergency brake were later added. But wear of these parts frequently requires replacement - and frequently at cost because of the scarcity.

Hope this answers your questions.

Joe K
Old 04-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
glenn in camino

Default Re: Early 28 braking system vs the "later" braking system

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have the early system on my 28 tudor and will be putting the same system on my current 28 roadster project. It works great on my tudor.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote