Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Bob NH

Default Question ?

Two questions, I have purchased a new front mat and the backing (which looks like regular carpet padding for your home) is not attached to the rubber. If you were doing this would you attach it with some adhesive or leave it loose ? Second, the cuts in the rubber for pedals etc. are just that. I am wondering if cutting a very small hole with something like a leather belt punch at the end of these would prevent further tearing like the one I'm replacing ? Comments ? Thanks
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
L78CHEVELLE

Default Re: Question ?

Don't glue the carpet mat to the floor. When you get the mat around the pedals, gas pedal, headlight floor switch, and front seat the mat will be secure enough for normal use. Some of the front mats I install fit very well under the side stainless pieces in the door openings, and that helps secure the mats also. I don't do anything to mats around the pedal cuts and they work as designed. Nothing last forever so drive it and enjoy it what ever happens.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Bob NH

Guess I should have said, is it a good idea to glue the backing to the rubber mat, not glue the mat to the car, sorry bout that. Thanks for your input. B.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
RKS.PA

Bob, I'm in the same boat. I just got a new front mat for my '39 from Dennis Carpenter. Unlike the one I installed 15 years ago, the jute backing is not attached. So, I going to glue/attach the backing to the underside of the rubber mat with 3M mastic, thinking this will replicate my old one. Also, I notice the hole for the shifter boot is not large enough, so some delicate surgery will have to happen there.

I wish us both luck!!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
19Fordy

I used a few dabs of contact cement around the perimeter of the padding and in the center area to adhere the padding to the mat. No need to glue it to the floor as the rear portion of the mat is held in place by the seat floor brackets. (I am not sure if that's correct for a 100 pt. restoration, but it worked for me.) I put the mat under the floor brackets so the bolts hold it tight. You will have to place the mat in position and then use an awl to make the bolt holes. Be patient as you may need to enlarge the awl holes. You don't want to tear the mat. The edge of the mat tucks under the sill plate. It's a Dennis Carpenter 40 Ford mat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3898.jpg (40.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3899.jpg (48.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3901.jpg (51.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3897.jpg (53.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-17-2014 at 12:51 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Bob NH

Looks like a nice install fordy. I got up courage this afternoon to unroll the old mat and lay the new padding on top of the old backing and with a thin piece of plywood under and a straight edge on top cut the edges the same as the old one. I put it in the car and did a very minor surgery around the gas and brake and clutch then layed in the new mat and will let it take a shape for a bit. Seems a bit wide to tuck under the side trim right now. This is also one of Dennis Carpenter's new repos and so far I'm pleased. I ordered it from Joe's antique Ford in Uxbridge, Mass. Good guy to deal with if anybody want to know
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
RKS.PA

Bob, are you putting this mat in a '39 or a '40? I can't tell from your Avatar. I'm wondering about the shift boot hole.

Dick.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Bob NH

This is in a 1940 . Did you say the shift hole is there or do you need to cut one in ? Remember, measure several times and cut once !
Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
RKS.PA

Amen to that!! Hole is there but need to make it bigger to accommodate the boot. Keeping fingers crossed and taking my time!!

Dick.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
klicker

Dick, let us know how it turns out. My mat has some tears, and the hole for the shifter is pretty cobbled up, so I plan to replace it soon.
Roger
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #11
bobgrice

One thing that appears missing from the photos are the two small spring clips/buttons that go on either side of the transmission tunnel to help secure the mat/pad to the floor. This definitely goes a long way towards helping it from scooting around on you in regular use. The holes can be difficult to locate. I did mine by getting under the car with an awl and having a friend inside to help hold the mat in place while I made the mark. Then, I used a leather punch to make that hole slightly larger and neat. Then, install the clips which are available from Dennis Carpenter (and probably others).
bobgrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
RKS.PA

Bob, thanks very much for pointing this out as I had no idea those holes are there in the tunnel. My original mat didn't use these, so when I replaced it 15 years ago, I was clueless! I saw those clip/button in the Carpenter catalog, so I order them....still didn't know where were supposed to go. Just went out to my car. Sure enough the holes are there!!!

Thanks again for the heads up......Dick.