Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
flatheadfan

Default Pilot Bearing options

I am working on a flywheel which needs a new pilot bearing. I have a couple available. One is a sealed bearing and the other is an oilite bushing. Which one would you chose for trouble-free longevity?

Thanks

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Pilot Bearing options

The sealed bearings hold up well and last a long time. By the way what is the number on the bearing?
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
JWL
Member Emeritus

The only choice is the bushing if you want 100% foolproof operation. Only one bearing has to lock-up for the message to come through loud and clear. As for wear? I don't think anyone will have a problem within the balance of their lifetime.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
richard crow

bushing. if bearing fails it can destroy the input shaft .also if it gets stuck to the shaft either by heat when bearing fails or rust to the shaft you have some job removing the trans.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
flatheadfan

Terry-

There is no number on the bearing. I suspect it is a "well-traveled" (China).

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
bushing. if bearing fails it can destroy the input shaft .also if it gets stuck to the shaft either by heat when bearing fails or rust to the shaft you have some job removing the trans.
My opinion too BUSHING is better. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Flat Ernie

Bushing.

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Mac VP

Ordinarily we recommend a bushing too.....HOWEVER, if the main drive gear pilot (the front tip end that goes into the pilot bearing) is worn, a bushing can allow additional movement of the main drive gear. We're talking small amounts here, but the caged type roller bearing is not a precision fit in there. If the drive gear can move out of axial alignment, you could have a mild misalignment of the synchro teeth to the synchro sleeve as it shifts into high gear. Just food for thought.....
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

I prefer using a ball bearing as a pilot bearing with the following construction/qualifications:
1. Well known, high quality bearing manufacturer
2. Bearing must be packed with a good high temperature grease
3. Seals on both sides of bearing
Most of the failed ball bearings that I have seen on early V8's were open face or shielded face bearings. These type ball bearing constructions allowed the grease to come out and the dirt to get into the race area causing failure. I have seen the oil impregnated bronze bushings fail early when heat caused the impregnated oils to bleed out. If anyone wants to see examples of shielded vs. sealed pilot bearings I could add some pictures here. I may even have some failed bronze bushings that I could take pictures of for those who think they are not prone to failure.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
John R

John, Please post the pics. I've never seen a failed bushing.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
John, Please post the pics. I've never seen a failed bushing.
Here you go John R. and anyone else who cares to view these pictures. You really don't see that much on a failed bushing unless they are a real catastrophic type failures. I did have some like that but trashed them. Here are some pictures with descriptions/captions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 1.jpg (53.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 2.jpg (46.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 3.jpg (42.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 4.jpg (42.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 5.jpg (41.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 6.jpg (36.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 7.jpg (42.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 8.jpg (40.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 9.jpg (44.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 10.jpg (60.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 11.jpg (74.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 12.jpg (76.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 13.jpg (60.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 14.jpg (69.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Early Ford Pilot Bushings or Bearings 15.jpg (79.7 KB, 125 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
oldford2

John,
What is the mfg/part#/source for the sealed bearing you use?
Thanks
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
John R

John, A great set of pics. Thanks!
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
John,
What is the mfg/part#/source for the sealed bearing you use?
Thanks
John
John, The manufacturer is NSK. The part number is 6203DU. I worked for a company that used millions of bearings and bushings in their product line each year. I was able to pick up a small supply of these bearings before I retired. I'm sure similar bearings can be purchased but maybe not from the same manufacturer under the exact same P.N. given above. MAC's shows clutch pilot ball bearings on page 65 of their latest catalog but I don't know if they are sealed on both sides or who they are manufactured by.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
Ordinarily we recommend a bushing too.....HOWEVER, if the main drive gear pilot (the front tip end that goes into the pilot bearing) is worn, a bushing can allow additional movement of the main drive gear. We're talking small amounts here, but the caged type roller bearing is not a precision fit in there. If the drive gear can move out of axial alignment, you could have a mild misalignment of the synchro teeth to the synchro sleeve as it shifts into high gear. Just food for thought.....
MAC did you mean to say caged type roller bearing or did you really mean to say caged type "ball" bearing?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
Mac VP

I was referring to the caged roller bearing (B-7118) used on all 1932-48 passngr & pickup light duty 3 speed trannies. The ball bearing (51A-7025) that holds the main drive gear is another piece in the puzzle.

If you take a BRAND NEW main drive gear, with a BRAND NEW ball bearing, and a BRAND NEW roller bearing, on a BRAND NEW main shaft, you can still wiggle the front pilot end of the main drive gear/input shaft with your fingers. The pilot bearing (sitting in the flywheel) is an important final component in the general alignment of the input shaft/main drive gear.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
rotorwrench

This is one of those questions that I never really make up my mind on. I guess it come from too many years of working with sealed bearings on helicopters that ended up having to have the seals pulled and re-greased on a date schedule. Many of the sealed types can go for many years without a re-grease but it really depends on how long it is. Even the best grease will start to cake up in about 4-years from the time it is initially squirted in there. After that it is anyones guess how long it will be till it quits doing the job.

Then you have the phosphor bronze soft metal bushing alternative. It depends on the small amount of lubricant that was baked in at manufacture to lube it. They will wear more or less depending on the invironment as well.

The ball is the best if a person plans on yanking the engine out every 8 or 10 years to reservice it. Most of us probably don't drive our old Ford products every day. If it's a daily driver, you will be putting a clutch in there somewhere down the road in 5 to 10 years. If you only drive it a few times a month and keep it in the garage in bad conditions the phosphor bronze bushing would probably be OK.

Kerby

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-31-2011 at 06:48 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #18
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
If it's a daily driver, you will be putting a clutch in there somewhere down the road in 5 to 10 years. If you only drive it a few times a month and keep it in the garage in bad conditions the phosphor bronze bushing would probably be OK.
Therein lies the rub - if these were driven daily, I could go either way - a quality sealed bearing or a bushing. But since a good many of these cars see limited duty and long periods of standing, I think the bushing is the way to go most of the time.

Besides, bushings don't seize and to wear like the one in the picture either a) something is wrong, or b) there's a heckofa lot of miles on it. In either case, it will probably keep you out of trouble longer than a bearing!

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #19
JM 35 Sedan

This is a debatable subject that will never be totally agreed upon by everyone. I have some of these sealed clutch pilot ball bearings that have been in service for years on non daily drivers and they are working well. Anyone replacing a pilot bearing/bushing will need to make their own decision based on the facts and experience they have. Personally, I'll continue using quality sealed ball bearings w/high temperature grease as pilot bearings in my vehicles. If or when I can't get these ball bearings, I would probably use an oil impregnated bushing.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
Deuce Man

John the egged out id on those pilot bushings probably was the cause of someones annoying clutch chatter!
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote