Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
tribouboys

Default Model A Engine Rebuild

I'm considering having A's and More in CT rebuild my Model A engine. Does anyone know anything about them???
tribouboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Reds34

Default Re: Model A Engine Rebuild

I actually worked there for a little while 10+ years ago.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
tribouboys

Will I be happy with the job they do??? I really only want to put one enigine in this car
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Reds34

It's hit or miss with anyone it seems. I've heard good and bad. Have to talked to him?

Red
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
tribouboys

Yes I have talked to him. He seems very honest but his price is lower then the others for the same work. Maybe low overhead he can keep is price down. Would you have him rebuild one for you??
Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Reds34

I have. That's why I worked there.

Red
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
28Annie

Reds - It would be a little bit of a drive for you, but what you end up living with is probably worth it. I posted this after I had Bob do my engine & all is well:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ebuilder+maine

David
28Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
1931 flamingo

Where is "A's and More" located?? There's one in CT I've heard about that doesn't stand behind his work.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I bought a lot of parts from Eric at A'a and more back in the 90s. I have got to say that Eric is very Model A knowledgable, honest and one of the best model A guys that I have ever done business with. I never had him rebuild an engine, but he has been at it a while and I would trust him with anything model A. He is a small business with lower overhead, That is where you can get the best prices.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Reds34

A's and more is located in Stafford, right across from the speedway.

Red
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Red, thanks, that's what I thought and who I'd heard about. Fellow there about 4-5 yrs ago on a fri night "picnic" turned me onto the FordBarn.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Reds34

I remember those friday night picnics.

Red
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Mikeinnj

I love these threads where people with no knowledge of the answer make vague comments or hijack the thread.

If I was looking to have a shop rebuild my engine I would go there and look around at the condition of the place, the type of machinery and tools he uses, ask a lot of questions, and ask for some names of people he has rebuilt engines for, contact them and find out about their experience and satisfaction with his work.

If you decide to have him do the work ,get a written detailed estimate and completion date. Ask him to include any warranty info on the estimate and final bill.Good Luck !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #14
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
I love these threads where people with no knowledge of the answer make vague comments or hijack the thread.

If I was looking to have a shop rebuild my engine I would go there and look around at the condition of the place, the type of machinery and tools he uses, ask a lot of questions, and ask for some names of people he has rebuilt engines for, contact them and find out about their experience and satisfaction with his work.

If you decide to have him do the work ,get a written detailed estimate and completion date. Ask him to include any warranty info on the estimate and final bill.Good Luck !
Man, what planet you on. There is nothing the matter with looking the shop over, and asking questions, but a good way to get your a%$ chewed is give out a customer's phone number, and about the 3rd call, the guy would call me. People don't like to be bothered, as in a no call list, ask me how I know this. Wow a written detailed estimate, Gee, that sounds easy, it only takes about 3, or 4 hours of wasted time on just one Guy, Ya why not, make a career of writing estimates, and with all the other jobs in the shop, that would shoot time frames all to H#$%. In 43 years, I have yet to write an estimate. There were 2 times I wrote 6 Months, or 6,000 miles for the warranty, on the itemized bill, when they asked, that was about 30 years. I don't have come backs!. The last thing is, you get what you pay for. How can some rebuild an engine for 2/3rd's less then other rebuilders, I know, Do you. Over Head My A*%. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Mike & Herm both make solid arguments and as someone who is "in the hobby" I can tell you that the biggest problem with estimates is you must always defend them. If an engine rebuilder says a rough estimate will be between $2k and $4k, the customer always hears the $2k, ...and when the internal damage is found, it is closer to $3k but the customer is arguing the $2k quoted number.

The 2nd side of this is that in a small shop with few employees, yes the overhead is less because the owner is in the shop working too. Add to that situation that many people in today's society like to dream, so they call asking questions while posing to be a serious potential client. The shop owner is trying to be patient and give due-diligence to the person on the phone yet all the while, the caller knows that he won't really be ordering an engine anytime soon but just wants to know more facts to dream about. It is definitely a two-edged sword for the shop owner.

And finally, a warranty is worth nothing more than the paper it is written on. If a loophole is needed, the builder can usually find one leaving the customer hanging. To me it is all about the Integrity and the Relationship of the shop owner. As a customer you need to pay for what you receive and be as honest with him as you want him to be with you.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
Mike Petrosino

I also used J&M machine and am very satified with the completed work, good guys to work with in every aspect of engine rebuilding...I would also recommend there shop.
Mike Petrosino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Mike Petrosino

Now with that my fingers are working correctly....lets try it with the proper spelling, my apologies.

I also used J&M Machine and am very satisfied with the completed work, good guys to work with in every aspect of engine rebuilding...I would also recommend their shop.

My engine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6dhlKMSzM
Mike Petrosino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
Mikeinnj

Gee Kohnke, sorry it takes you three to four hours to write up an estimate. I would never do business with a shop that could not tell me how much a rebuilt engine would cost. I have been able to recieve phone numbers for the purpose of references from many people in business. I have called the owners of homes to find out how their builders treated tham and if they were satisfied with the work provided. I have contacted customers of auto repair facilities to know their impression of the services rendered.These phone numbers were freely provided by the owners of the business and showed me that they stood by their reputation.This is the way things are done in business. Remember,if you run a reputable, honest business, an informed educated consumer is always the best customer.

P.S. - If you can offer a good product, you might ask future customers if they would be willing to have potential customers call them regarding their experience dealing with you, your services and products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohnke Rebabbitting View Post
Man, what planet you on. There is nothing the matter with looking the shop over, and asking questions, but a good way to get your a%$ chewed is give out a customer's phone number, and about the 3rd call, the guy would call me. People don't like to be bothered, as in a no call list, ask me how I know this. Wow a written detailed estimate, Gee, that sounds easy, it only takes about 3, or 4 hours of wasted time on just one Guy, Ya why not, make a career of writing estimates, and with all the other jobs in the shop, that would shoot time frames all to H#$%. In 43 years, I have yet to write an estimate. There were 2 times I wrote 6 Months, or 6,000 miles for the warranty, on the itemized bill, when they asked, that was about 30 years. I don't have come backs!. The last thing is, you get what you pay for. How can some rebuild an engine for 2/3rd's less then other rebuilders, I know, Do you. Over Head My A*%. Herm.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #19
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Gee Kohnke, sorry it takes you three to four hours to write up an estimate. I would never do business with a shop that could not tell me how much a rebuilt engine would cost. I have been able to recieve phone numbers for the purpose of references from many people in business. I have called the owners of homes to find out how their builders treated tham and if they were satisfied with the work provided. I have contacted customers of auto repair facilities to know their impression of the services rendered.These phone numbers were freely provided by the owners of the business and showed me that they stood by their reputation.This is the way things are done in business. Remember,if you run a reputable, honest business, an informed educated consumer is always the best customer.

P.S. - If you can offer a good product, you might ask future customers if they would be willing to have potential customers call them regarding their experience dealing with you, your services and products.
Well, Mikey it is like this, 95 % of our business, is repeat business, or word of mouth from repeat business. I have had 1 Ad in a magazine for about 22 years and some free ones on the net since early 90's. We always have work, why have to turn it down. We rebuild mostly all bearings, and motors, as I like it. Here is some real good advice for you FREE, don't every confuse a cheap price job, with an expensive job, and think your getting the same Quality of rebuild. You can have good, or you can have cheap, but not at the same time. It doesn't happen very often, but every few years we would get a call from a guy like you. Your first post, and your first sentence from your first post, told me every thing about you that I needed to know.
( Quote )I love these threads where people with no knowledge of the answer make vague comments or hijack the thread. ( END QUOTE ) If somebody called me with your arrogance, I would tell them to P&%# up a rope.
An ARROGANCE, and ESTIMATE FREE ZONE!! Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
29SCOUPE

I get a kick out of the price wars on having there engines rebuilt! If it makes you feel better to spend 5 to 6 thousand go for it. I have had Eric rebuild three engines and been real happy with all. I have one now approx 3 years still no leak from rear main and real sweet runner.No way would I spend the money guys are talking. Eric has ALWAYS stood behind his stuff and has offered to help come to the house to help get it started? Not bad for the price he gets. Eric does not even have a web page and goes by word of mouth for busines and is always busy? That should say something in this hobby.
29SCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote