Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
ArcLighter

Default '53 Front Cam Gear

Front cam gear is the one that drives the dist; removed old one, got new one from Speedway. Checked online picture at Speedway, showed no mark on the gear; old one has a mark - called Speedway & Flathead Dept. said the new gear would have a mark; however, the new one has no mark. Page 43 of the 1952-54 Ford Shop Manual shows a mark on the gear and on the cam to match up. Wondering, if the gear doesn't really need a mark, only that it has to be on the cam shaft with a high tooth centered over the mark on the cam(?).

Any ideas on this?

Also, how best to get the gear on the camshaft. I've read elsewhere about heating the gear to 400 degrees in an oven before installing, but I'm thinking that that's one helluva hot potato to handle while trying to match a mark on the cam shaft. So, I've got a pack of ice formed around a small dowel that might cool the cam enough to get the gear on. Any ideas?

SOLUTION: I made a mark on the new gear, same place as on the old gear, and installed same-same place as removed. I did not heat or cool; used a nylon mallet to start the gear in right place, and finished with a brass mallet. While it may not be necessary to install the gear in any particular relationship, if installed as removed the rotor will be pointed exactly as it was when removed, and the relationship with #1 will remain the same - pointed at a right angle towards the pax side fender.

Last edited by ArcLighter; 11-04-2016 at 08:33 AM. Reason: SP; solution
ArcLighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
ArcLighter

Default Re: '53 Front Cam Gear

Speedway has replied to my question from earlier today:

“The gear referenced is the front cam gear that drives the distributor and does not have a specific location or clock position. It simply drives the distributor which is adjustable. The crankshaft timing gear number 56056323 and cam timing gear 56056322 are marked for correct alignment to achieve proper cam timing.”
John from Speedway Motors

I have not done a lot of business with Speedway before; but, from what I see they are a first class operation.
ArcLighter is offline   Reply With Quote