Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #1
mshmodela

Default Your first thoughts of wanting a Model A or similar car

Fellow Model A fans, kind of wondering your story on when you first wanted a Model A or similar car?

For me as young kid I put dozens of plastic car models together and dreamed of restoring old cars for a living...

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/jpegs/Mo...030FordCvg.JPG

God had other plans for me: Electrical Engineering, then Computer Science but I always had that dream of working on a real old car... well for the past 2 months after 40 years of waiting I've been living my childhood dream.... It has been fun... I still cannot help sometimes when I see my car and think of it as one BIG model .... That said, thanks to all who have shared their years and years of experience on this forum, without your help, I could not even start my car...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 05-09-2014 at 05:05 PM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
ericr

Default Re: Your first thoughts of wanting a Model A or similar car

Mike the origin of my interest in pretty unique, it came from watching the old Untouchables series back in the '50s, though looking at those episodes today on YouTube (many of which I remember seeing), there were no Fords used,,,,,,all large four-door sedans of unknown makes. They seem to have taken the nameplate off of the radiator shell though I have spotted Packards and Lincolns.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
donh

My interest came in a round about way. My first old car was a 38 Chevy Master deluxe. Bought it cheap and when I got it home and really saw it in the daylight, it wasn't pretty. Got it on the road and had fun with it. The look of the old cars always captivated me.
My first Model A came from a friend who had recently passed away. While helping the family settle his estate, the family asked if there was anything that I would like. I had seen the 31 Victoria all apart and in storage, so I purchased it from the family. Not too keen on a Ford but saw that the Victoria was a low production car, so that was neat! Took me a few years to get it together. Have had a lot of fun with it and my children enjoyed it too!
From there I now own a 30 Model a Blindback all original, 33 & 34 Ford BB 1 1/2 ton trucks and restored a 28 AC Mack flatbed truck for the company I worked for.
I think this hobby is more like a disease!! It is great fun and you meet a lot of neat people. Oh and my wife is 100% in favor of it.
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Ericr Concerning the Untouchables. I purchased the lead car in the Untouchables. Movie and television series. It is a 1931/32 Chrysler CD8 Deluxe. Ii is still in exceptional condition. I have had it for several years. A grand old lady that is kind of the prize in my collection. I likely get a dozen offers a year to sell it from people just like you. Regards, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Growley bear

I have had a love affair with Model A Fords and old Packards from a very early age.
The Model A is more in my price range. A childhood dream that took 50 years to realize.

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Bill Underwood

I had my first A when I was 14....now 66 and have had one (running and not) for most if the duration.
Have to say I have moved a bit toward 33-34 but so expensive all way around
B
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
Barber31

2 things brought me here. Building model cars growing up and the love of anything old and mechanical. My parents would tease me for staying in my room all night listening to oldies music and tinkering with my car stuff. I just love the feeling when you see something working just like it used to when it was brand new 50,60,70+ years ago. And knowing that I'm the one that did that makes it even more awesome.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Richard in NC

When I was a kid in the mid fifties, there were a few A models still being driven daily. I also saw a bunch of them in the junkyards. I always wanted an old car and had a couple of 30's Plymouths which were very good cars. Then, 30 years later I wanted a car and decided to not settle for less than a 28-31 Ford. I bought a 1931 2 door 11 yrs. ago and have enjoyed it ever since.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Aerocraft

Mike, for me it was the childhood inspiration from my father and a picture he gave to me. With the picture came a series of stories about his courting my Mom, his many trips, and about the mechanics of the car. I had to have one to be "just like Dad". Unfortunately, when I was a high school kid in 1953 with a new drivers license, I couldn't afford a Roadster so settled for a beat up Cabriolet. Finally, many years later I found an unrestored '31 40B. It was identical to his ! The black and white picture is of Dad in 1935. The middle shot is the Cabriolet. The color shot is my Roadster after a new top, interior and engine overhaul. The paint is a lacquer repaint done in 1961 or earlier.

Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad 1935.jpg (54.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Pictures from external drive 13272.jpg (65.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Pictures from external drive 13202.jpg (58.1 KB, 41 views)
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
glenn in camino

In 1958 my first car was a 31 standard coupe.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Ray64

Since I was 7 or 8 I wanted my DAD to save his for me Didn't happen. So 55 yrs later I bought my own LOL
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Ray in La Mesa

Before I knew it I was hooked on Model A's. When I was 5 or 6 I was awaken every morning by the sound of a Model A starting up at 4:30 AM. It was our next door neighbor, an old Italian fellow, readying his load of fruits & flowers for the L. A. flower market. It was a'29 delivery and was his only transportation.I guess my subconscious started liking A's before I did. He finally traded the A in for a new car--a 1954 Ford sedan delivery.
When I was 7 or 8 my dad bought a'28 chevy roadster p/u to haul loads to the dump, I guess those two events shaped my Model A future. I now have a '28 A roadster p/u and '30 cabriolet even though my first A was a '30 fordor the folks gave me for graduation from high school.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Ericr Concerning the Untouchables. I purchased the lead car in the Untouchables. Movie and television series. It is a 1931/32 Chrysler CD8 Deluxe. Ii is still in exceptional condition. I have had it for several years. A grand old lady that is kind of the prize in my collection. I likely get a dozen offers a year to sell it from people just like you. Regards, Wayne
Wayne that is quite a story. I always thought a Chrysler product back then stood out by the unusually narrow radiator shell. I've noticed that the series' sedans nearly always have fender spares and trunks on the back.

I saw an episode yesterday where Ness went somewhere out of town and drove a Hupmobile, judging by the tall radiator snout.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
foxfire42

When I was just out of diapers (sometime in the 40's) I saw a picture of the Model A my father courted Mom in. I promised myself I would own a car like it someday. Although his was a 31 Roadster and I ended up with a 30 Coupe it didn't matter. I finally reached my dream of owning and A. Of course one gets lonely in the garage so you have to get it company. Then, if you aren't careful they breed and you end up with a fleet. I now have a family of 10.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Wayne that is quite a story. I always thought a Chrysler product back then stood out by the unusually narrow radiator shell. I've noticed that the series' sedans nearly always have fender spares and trunks on the back.

I saw an episode yesterday where Ness went somewhere out of town and drove a Hupmobile, judging by the tall radiator snout.
You are right, it does have 2 side mounts, a rear trunk, vases, radio, etc. if I ever figure out how to do it I will have it as my avatar. By the way my name on AACA is AlCapone. Regards, Wayne
I don't know how to download photos but if you send me a private meaage with your email iwi. Send you a recent picture.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #16
Russ B

In the early 1950's Revell came out with the Highway Pioneers model cars. They sparked my interest in old cars. In 1958 AMT/SMP came out with the 3 in 1 model car kits that hooked me even more on cars, as they were a bigger scale. Then by late 1958 or 1959, my uncle brought me an old car that my dad bought new in 1929. It was the cabriolet I finally got back on the road earlier this week after fifty years in non-op! Since the fifties, I have always had one to three 1929 Model A Fords, mostly not running, and none a real restoration, but always a Model A.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Just like foxfire, my father inspired my interest. I wanted the car the car he treasured ( 1928 Model A Ford ) and I got it. I am just sorry that he was not around to see it. From there my interest continued to grow where I now have 5 A's and a total of 14 in the collection. All in excellent condition and none for sale. They are all in my estate so that the children and grandchildren can carry the dream forward !
Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 05-11-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
nhusa

I don't remember wanting a Model A when I was young.
The one I now own just showed up at our house in the late 50's. My dad use it to drive to work and I drove it to high school when my 1941 Ford coupe was broken.
Last year I move the A to my garage and it has grown on me so I could honestly say that I didn't want an A until last year.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
MikeK

When I was a grammar school brat my grandmother used to tell me stories about the new Ford A Coupe that was her car when she was single. My grandfather had a 12 cyl Lincoln, but my allowance was only 25c a week (If I did all my chores!) so I immediately started saving for the one I could afford. 40 years later I bought my first A. I don't think I'll ever have enough quarters for the V12 Lincoln.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
leo

As you may suspect I'm a big fan of Laurel & Hardy and of the cars I saw as a kid in their films. That is what sparked my interest. In some way when I'm in my Model A I feel like I've been able to go back in time to 1930 when my car was new and Laurel & Hardy were filming their antics in Culver City CA at the Hal Roach studios.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote