Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Is Authentic Really Worth It?

I have a 5 window '40 Ford V8 that has a very nice body. I wanted to restore the car as it is the best candidate I've seen in years at the price. The chassis is numbered 530***** which is fairly early with most early (standard) features. Although I appreciate the standard model, the market in this area heavily favors the deluxe coupe. Before I hear a chorus of those that say they prefer a standard, sometimes dollars have a voice that says "protect your investment!" The pieces to convert the car to Deluxe have been fairly easy to find with the exception that most of the essential Deluxe parts have been of the later style, like the deck lid which was a must to replace is a late style rather than the carryover from the '39. The Deluxe dash is with pullout ash receivers(late). The Deluxe window garnishes, the instruments, the clock box lid also have been found. There are probably scores of other characteristics that would be needed to consider to "Deluxeify" and I am aware of many. Still a bit choked up with the early vs late stuff. Aside from the bugs on the windows there is little for an observer to sense any conflict without knowing the place in the production history.
Is this what happens, such concerns about fine points while working toward as complete a restoration as can be afforded? Could it be worth it? Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote