Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
jerry shook

Smile speedo lube

What do you use as speedometer lube. My car has a t-5 5 speed in it that works great. Other then the cable after a wile makes a noise and i lube it i use the lube from the local parts store , what do you use . With a t-5 the cable goes all the way to the rear end is about 4ft long any suggestion . God bless.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Earle

Default Re: speedo lube

I have a '31 roadster. I may just be imagining things, but I believe (hope?) my speedometer cable is getting lubricated from my periodically pumping grease into the universal joint housing. I remove one of the speedo cap bolts and pump the grease in until it starts coming out of the bolt hole and give it a few more good, fast pumps. I would think that the churning action of the universal and the softening/liquifying of some of the grease on a hot day, long drive, works some grease into the cable. The spinning action of the cable in its sleeve then distributes the grease on up the cable assembly.

I do know that after a universal lube job and a few miles of driving I see excess grease oozing out around the cable attachment nut at the universal housing and through the cable sleeve a little distance up the cable. The grease is definitely getting into the cable.

All I know is that in the 25 years I've owned and driven the car I've never had any speedo cable noise or other speedometer functional issues.

for what it's worth...

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
jerry shook

I said in the first thread my cable was 4 ft long , with the t-5 i have it is about 8 ft long, my noise is in the cable not the trans or the universal .
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
john in illinois

I take the cable out and apply a thin coat of chassis grease . Other greases work fine too.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

Jerry, is it a "stock" t-5 cable? What did chevy/pontiac/olds recommend for cable lube?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Earle

Jerry, I did understand that your problem was with noise in your cable. I was just saying that a side benefit I get (I think) from lubricating the universal is that some grease gets into the speedo cable too and keeps it lubricated.

As long as my cable stays quiet and the speedometer works smoothly I'll keep doing it this way to avoid having to remove the whole cable assembly for lubrication.

I hope you get a good solution to your problem. Maybe you're at the point of having to remove your cable assy as John says.

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
RonC

The cable should be removed from the housing, wiped clean with a rag and coated with fresh cable lubricant.

I sent the following email to the Lubriplate Lubricants Company:

What type of grease should be applied to automobile speedometer cables?

Response from Lubriplate: We recommend LUBRIPLATE Aero.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote