Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2023, 08:52 PM   #21
Fordors

Default Re: just a heads-up

Well I watched the video and I’d say Matt and crew get kudos for saving another old Ford, and it was a tub too! Oops, I meant to say it’s a Convertible Sedan. I don’t agree about the “reality TV” mentality some here described, they are just a group of guys searching out and rescuing old cars and parts. For sure Matt isn’t running his operation as a charitable organization, certainly he buys right and hopes to sell what he doesn’t decide to keep but they all deserve some credit. How many of you naysayers would deal with what was seen on just this one video, shoveling all types of vermin feces, the fallen insulation and who knows what else might be found in an old neglected building like that. Not everyone in the hobby has the pleasure of just buying and driving their dream early Ford V8 and I would think at least a few of you guys would be happy to see the younger generation involved in saving old Fords for posterity. Apparently some are just predisposed to see fault in the younger generation. And BTW, I’m 74 and happy to see them saving old tin.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:57 PM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
It is the manufactured drama and misleading statement that bothers me.
I went and watched parts of the last video on the car. They got the engine to run, removed trash from the car, and fixed the brakes. There are no gauges, the throw-out bearing was making horrible noises, the cooling system was totally unknown, the wiring was non-existent, etc. The people in the video were even joking they might not make it to the gas station five minutes away.

That is not running and driving. That is reality TV drama.
THIS AIN'T REALITY TV DRAMA! It's a bunch of pretty dedicated guys out there spending their own personal money to save old Ford (& others) parts, many of which are eventually offered for sale to us folks TOO LAZY to go out and hunt the good stuff on our own. It's YouTube stuff, guys. Anyone out there on planet Earth can do the same thing ...... go out there on your own, spend your own money, and film the adventure for YouTube so that the appreciative folks can see what it takes to save so many treasures. And how about all those crummy, nasty old flatheads some of these guys go to the trouble of saving, proving that they at least are candidates for an expensive rebuild? I still don't see what all the negativity is about! Every one of these folks is doing each of us old car people a favor and a service.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:51 AM   #23
38 coupe

I find most old car related Youtube channels are more about entertainment than about information. I'll bring up two Youtube channels as examples.
First example is Derek Bieri from Vice Grip Garage is definitely more entertainment than information. He add bits of information into most episodes, but the point of the episode is entertainment. I occasionally enjoy watching Derek screw around with cars I usually don't care about. He does a lot of hack jobs on late model crappy cars. Almost all his episodes are "car revival" stories. Lots of old fuel systems, bad brakes, and marginal radiators. This is typical of lots of old car channels on Youtube.

The hard work of actually making a car reliable isn't particularly entertaining and isn't included in these Youtube channels. That type of work includes replacing wiring harnesses, brake lines, hoses, water pumps, throw out bearings, u-joints, exhaust systems, etc. It is typically slow, grimy, boring work. At the end of all that work you have a reliable car that can go places.

In contrast is Mart. His episodes are primarily about information such as how to repair something or what old car events are going in in England. He occasionally drives his cars across England. They get fixed so they are reliable.

Iron Trap Garage is closer to the entertainment end of the spectrum than to the information end of the spectrum. His information is typically not as good as you get on this forum, and is directed to hot-rodding cars. The big text at the beginning for the video about "driving" the 39 Convertible Sedan states "BARN FIND TO CRUISIN' IN 2 WEEKS". At the end of the video the car is not cruising, it is limping. Given the entire lack of gauges and terrible condition of the throw-out bearing there might be irreparable damage done to the drive train. I'm not impressed.

Two things for the record:
1 - I am less than 45 years old, in the same age category as the people on Iron Trap Garage. I am increasingly finding people my age without any previous experience with old cars are turning to sources like his channel for information. Old Fords are getting cut up instead of repaired and enjoyed for what they are based on the advice from channels like Iron Trap Garage.

2 - I have worked on a lot of nasty old cars. Here is a recent example, I helped a friend revive this 54 sedan that sat in a field for years. I had been in a wreck, then converted to mobile welding service, then park against the fence row. We got it to the point it is a reliable car. We vacuumed out several pounds of rat/mouse crap, pulled the engine & transmission, refreshed both, replaced the rear end, installed all new brake parts, installed a new radiator, pieced together a new exhaust system, pushed the driver side pillar out enough to latch the door, and installed a new wiring harness. It was a lot of slow, grimy, tedious work that wasn't entertaining. It took months to do all this. I doubt very few people would watch a Youtube channel about getting that thing going again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221108_203526.jpg (47.3 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by 38 coupe; 11-21-2023 at 07:02 AM.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:54 AM   #24
GB SISSON

Quote:
It is a convertible sedan. It looks like a big project from the first video they posted, junk and garbage up to the tops of the doors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrj1Vanpbk8
I was absolutely riveted to this video. This is the car hobby for me, the part I like best. Haven't seen the 'get it running' episode yet, but that's next and I have a feeling I will like it even more than this one. Once they are all 'done', I get bored with them and often move them down the line and start looking for something else to drag home. Putting 50 K into a car and taking it to car shows has never interested me in the least, but still I live and breathe for this hobby that I continue to do my way. The last 3 trucks (early fords) that I sold went to a 27 year old, a 31 year old and a 40 year old. It is not at all unusual for me to pull into the grocery store parking lot and see one of my former projects parked amongst the sea of unidentifiable SUVs.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:57 AM   #25
deuce5wndw

Well, I for one thoroughly enjoy Iron Trap Garage! Being a subscriber and watch all the episodes I know where Matt is getting a Ardun built!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #26
IronTrap

Reality TV BS? We didn’t say it was restore to show quality. It ran and drove. Guess you guys don’t remember having fun with this stuff.. getting a car running just for fun and trying to make it around the block? Or have you all gotten so old, stuffy, and close minded that young guys can’t do anything but buy a car and tear it into a million pieces to make it a perfect 100 point car? This hobby is supposed to be FUN and the same guys that talk negative about what we do are the same ones standing around at Hershey and other meets proclaiming “no one is into this stuff anymore”, “the hobby is dying no young guys are into this stuff” etc etc etc.

Quit being so stuck up and snobby and just enjoy the fact that there’s some “young” guys passionate about this stuff.. even if what we’re doing isn’t up to your points judging, award winning close minded version of what the hobby should be…

P.S.- we’re offering it for sale so it gets taken from the grips of some hot rodders hands before it gets chopped, dropped, and blown..

Last edited by IronTrap; 11-22-2023 at 12:07 AM.
IronTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:51 PM   #27
IronTrap

Quote:
I find most old car related Youtube channels are more about entertainment than about information. I'll bring up two Youtube channels as examples.
First example is Derek Bieri from Vice Grip Garage is definitely more entertainment than information. He add bits of information into most episodes, but the point of the episode is entertainment. I occasionally enjoy watching Derek screw around with cars I usually don't care about. He does a lot of hack jobs on late model crappy cars. Almost all his episodes are "car revival" stories. Lots of old fuel systems, bad brakes, and marginal radiators. This is typical of lots of old car channels on Youtube.

The hard work of actually making a car reliable isn't particularly entertaining and isn't included in these Youtube channels. That type of work includes replacing wiring harnesses, brake lines, hoses, water pumps, throw out bearings, u-joints, exhaust systems, etc. It is typically slow, grimy, boring work. At the end of all that work you have a reliable car that can go places.

In contrast is Mart. His episodes are primarily about information such as how to repair something or what old car events are going in in England. He occasionally drives his cars across England. They get fixed so they are reliable.

Iron Trap Garage is closer to the entertainment end of the spectrum than to the information end of the spectrum. His information is typically not as good as you get on this forum, and is directed to hot-rodding cars. The big text at the beginning for the video about "driving" the 39 Convertible Sedan states "BARN FIND TO CRUISIN' IN 2 WEEKS". At the end of the video the car is not cruising, it is limping. Given the entire lack of gauges and terrible condition of the throw-out bearing there might be irreparable damage done to the drive train. I'm not impressed.

Two things for the record:
1 - I am less than 45 years old, in the same age category as the people on Iron Trap Garage. I am increasingly finding people my age without any previous experience with old cars are turning to sources like his channel for information. Old Fords are getting cut up instead of repaired and enjoyed for what they are based on the advice from channels like Iron Trap Garage.

2 - I have worked on a lot of nasty old cars. Here is a recent example, I helped a friend revive this 54 sedan that sat in a field for years. I had been in a wreck, then converted to mobile welding service, then park against the fence row. We got it to the point it is a reliable car. We vacuumed out several pounds of rat/mouse crap, pulled the engine & transmission, refreshed both, replaced the rear end, installed all new brake parts, installed a new radiator, pieced together a new exhaust system, pushed the driver side pillar out enough to latch the door, and installed a new wiring harness. It was a lot of slow, grimy, tedious work that wasn't entertaining. It took months to do all this. I doubt very few people would watch a Youtube channel about getting that thing going again.

Guess you missed our HUNDREDS of other videos where we showed the ENTIRE process of bringing a car back to reliable.. I’m sure you skipped those? Or where I’ve shown building entire body panels and cars from scratch. I’m also the first one to say that I’m still and always will be learning and we share what we’ve learned both good and bad with people in the channel. All for armchair quarterbacks to comment on how they’d do it better or how we’re fake or it’s reality tv bs..

Cliff Notes: Gent Bent.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTrap View Post
Guess you missed our HUNDREDS of other videos where we showed the ENTIRE process of bringing a car back to reliable.. I’m sure you skipped those? Or where I’ve shown building entire body panels and cars from scratch. I’m also the first one to say that I’m still and always will be learning and we share what we’ve learned both good and bad with people in the channel. All for armchair quarterbacks to comment on how they’d do it better or how we’re fake or it’s reality tv bs..

Cliff Notes: Gent Bent.

Iron Trap Garage ..... Both of your responses ABOVE are 110% SPOT-ON! In the "REAL World" of things, there is no justifiable criticism pertaining to what you guys do for the promotion of our old Ford hobby. The only thing I see you guys do that deserves a little criticism might be some of your methods of cleaning-out mouse turds without the use of adequate protective gear.

Coop

The Coopman

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-21-2023, 02:19 PM   #29
tubman

I'm with "Coop" on this. I wrecked a few pre-war Fords back in my day (fifties-early sixties). Even these days, some of these guys would throw rocks at my cars.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #30
Fritz

I don’t see why anyone is so negative about Iron Trap. It’s great content, great cars. They’re not into butchering anything. Since when have traditional hot rods been verboten here?

And for the record, I’m also a younger guy and I also like restored cars.

Keep it up Matt! Your channel is the highlight of YouTube for me.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #31
Tim Ayers

I'm not here to take sides, but I agree 100% with what Matt said about some of the divisions between stockers and hot rodders.

We all know someone or, some here may be one of these guys, that keeping saying they will restore that old Ford "one day." Sadly, this story most often doesn't end well and "one day" never comes.

In my opinion, any old Ford that is put back on the road and running around is better than one stuck in barn somewhere rotting away for no one to enjoy.

Some of the joy of being a hot rodder is one can leave their car unfinished or keep the "patina". A lot of died in the wool stocker guys turn up their noses at such a notion.

I really hope this age old argument of stocker vs. hot rodder can be put to rest. One side is not better than the other. It's just different points of view or paths to take when looking at the same starting point.

I'm sorry to break the news to some of you, but we aren't getting any younger. Drive your car or sell it someone who will why someone still wants it. Just like Henry intended them to do.

Added this morning: While mulling over this thread, I remembered a thread that was posted on the Model A side. A few guys were complaining about the high cost of just attending Hershey if you don't live local. It seems like whenever money is involved, some people are very hard to please no matter what. LOL.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 11-22-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #32
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Reality TV B.S. ...Did you see, they actually tried to pull that barge out of the mud with a chain wrapped around the front bumper. Gotta give credit where due, though, they correctly identified '36 fenders. (Someone must have told them.)
To be honest, Matt likely knows more about early Fords than the majority of members on the forum. Including ones who are likely reading this thread.

His embellishment is on par with that of the average old Ford enthusiast. He doesn't have a TV contract and his videos aren't scripted.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:30 PM   #33
tom1948

BTW, I just watched them pull a 1938 deluxe convertible coupe out of a shed in upstate NY.
not stock (pontiac engine) but a pretty solid looking car. Also, I'm still learning the early v-8 thing, so bear with me on this. I can probably answer any air-cooled vw questions anyone may have. lol
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:41 PM   #34
sshep

US Naval Commander Mike Metcalf of the Navy Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor program gave some great words of wisdom once.

"Just remember when it's over out there, we are all on the same team"
sshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:11 PM   #35
FHFD

Thanks for posting the You Tube video....and special thanks for Iron Trap to create it...well done.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:34 PM   #36
38 coupe

I find there is a third option being missed. I don't restore 1000 point cars but I do appreciate the cars that other people put the effort into making near perfect. I don't care for hot rods. I don't care about car shows. I enjoy repairing old Fords properly and doing this:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80_mph.jpg (36.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Customline headlights.jpg (11.9 KB, 33 views)
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #37
Robz51

Although most people here seem to like Iron trap other comments puzzle me. I hear lots of guys bitching that the younger generation isn't interested and the hobby will die but here are 2 young guys who genuinely love this hobby and are actually actively and PHYSICALLY (not virtually) participating our hobby! Somehow what the do is BS??? They are exactly what this hobby needs! So they are hot rodders- who cares?? You know, the hot rodders have been doing this stuff much longer than the purist guys. I always look forward to their stuff.
Rob
Robz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #38
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
I find there is a third option being missed. I don't restore 1000 point cars but I do appreciate the cars that other people put the effort into making near perfect. I don't care for hot rods. I don't care about car shows. I enjoy repairing old Fords properly and doing this:

While you write you don't care about Hot Rods here's a fact. There was Hotrodders well before there was restorer's. Many restored cars previously led a life first saved by a Hot Rodder that eventually was restored back to original.

Case I point a certain restored 1932 Ford roadster acquired from the Ford V-8 foundation was saved by a Hotrodder in its previous life this allowed it to survive and then eventually be restored to its original condition. I have personally come across many restored Fords which had been Hot Rodded previously obviously saved by some Hot Rodder.

One last point Hot Rods are built to drive that's the best part heck I only have over 100,000 miles on my little old Hot Rodded Deuce roadster always powered by Ford flathead V-8 blocks.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
While you write you don't care about Hot Rods here's a fact. There was Hotrodders well before there was restorer's. Many restored cars previously led a life first saved by a Hot Rodder that eventually was restored back to original.

Case I point a certain restored 1932 Ford roadster acquired from the Ford V-8 foundation was saved by a Hotrodder in its previous life this allowed it to survive and then eventually be restored to its original condition. I have personally come across many restored Fords which had been Hot Rodded previously obviously saved by some Hot Rodder.

One last point Hot Rods are built to drive that's the best part heck I only have over 100,000 miles on my little old Hot Rodded Deuce roadster always powered by Ford flathead V-8 blocks.
Ronnieroadster

Amen, AGAIN! This is the second one that you've hit out of the ballpark in this thread alone, Ronnie!

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-22-2023, 04:38 PM   #40
Don W/Norfolk

For the "purists", on Instagram under Iron Trap Finds, Matt and Mike list all those rare and valuable original parts they uncover during their picking. Lots of great items at a reasonable price. Check 'em out!
dw