Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Speedway 4 brl to Tri-power adapter

Hi guys, trying to set up a 4brl to 3x2 setup from Speed way. Had similar setup running for most of the season with Speedway's 2x2 adapter.
Setup sits on an Offy intake with a 4" tunnel ram adapter and looked pretty cool but I decided I wanted the 3x2's for now. Problem I ran into is the 3x2 setup is too long and interferes with the Alternator by approx 3/4" to 1". My Alternator bracket also from Speedway is the aluminum U bracket which mounts midships on the motor. I have to either get the alternator to a different position right, left or lower by 1 " or raise the 3x2 adapter another 1". I have seen the cast steel alternator brackets which appear to be a lower mount? Anybody know if true and how much lower? I have ordered another 1" adapter to add on top of the 4" tunnel ram but aren't sure if that wasn't getting a little high for the trips ( it would put the base of the carbs 6" plus above the intake manifold mounts). I like the height but am thinking engine tork and vibration might be amplified too much? Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
AnthonyG

Default Re: Speedway 4 brl to Tri-power adapter

Hi guys, trying to set up a 4brl to 3x2 setup from Speed way. Had similar setup running for most of the season with Speedway's 2x2 adapter.
Setup sits on an Offy intake with a 4" tunnel ram adapter and looked pretty cool but I decided I wanted the 3x2's for now. Problem I ran into is the 3x2 setup is too long and interferes with the Alternator by approx 3/4" to 1". My Alternator bracket also from Speedway is the aluminum U bracket which mounts midships on the motor. I have to either get the alternator to a different position right, left or lower by 1 " or raise the 3x2 adapter another 1". I have seen the cast steel alternator brackets which appear to be a lower mount? Anybody know if true and how much lower? I have ordered another 1" adapter to add on top of the 4" tunnel ram but aren't sure if that wasn't getting a little high for the trips ( it would put the base of the carbs 6" plus above the intake manifold mounts). I like the height but am thinking engine tork and vibration might be amplified too much? Any thoughts appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0977.JPG (41.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0979.JPG (31.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That is one strange setup!!! You are going to have to shift it all back somehow, are you willing to modify the parts you have? It would require cutting and re-welding on the riser I would think.

Other option is to go with the alt/dist offset like is required with a regular 3x2 setup.

I attached a photo of my offset generator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine Fan 4.jpg (53.4 KB, 85 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
JWL
Member Emeritus

Get one of those miniature alternators.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Good idea! I've got one in my vintage dirt car (from East Coast Electronics) and it has been trouble-free for 15 years. (I got it because it's hard to see on the car and I got tired of charging the battery between heats.) It's about the size of a grapefruit and puts out 65 Amps.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
35amps, 1-wire, $70

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-4700-n...ire-12180.aspx

Jack E/NJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini35.jpg (17.0 KB, 26 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
Walt Dupont--Me.

Don't plan on running that high setup in cold weather. I had a setup like that on top of a super charger, was driving up the pike about 70 and the outside temp 32* this was on my 40 with no hood, I let up on the throttle and it was stuck, I could see the carb through the windshield, the base of the carb was all white with frost, I had about 30 miles to go to my exit, the engine kept slowing down, it was down to 20mph coming off the exit, I only live a mile from the exit, I pulled in the drive, pushed the door opener drove in and got out and watch the engine running slow, in about a min. the ice was melting in the carb and the engine started speeding up, had to run around and shut it off, when all the ice melted the throttle worked fine. The carb don't like to run cold with no heat riser. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
rich b

Maybe another way to approach the situation; wouldn't it be easier to sell the 3x2 adapter along with the 4bbl intake and ram giz and get a 3x2 intake, you already have the carbs, etc and it may perform better.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
AnthonyG

JWL, tubman, and JackE, great idea, will check the 5.5" length on the dimension mini today and report back. Thx for the info.

Walt and Rich, I really like the look of the carb height. The look is kind of like the Sling Shot intakes and think it looks cool coming at you with the air cleaners / scoops higher than the radiator. I don't run it in the winter weather so the freeze up won't be an issue. In the warm weather I did notice a perf. acceleration increase with the 2 x 2 up on the 4" tunnel setup vs not. I live in the Pocono's in Pa. and we stay covered with snow pretty much all winter so she stays in the garage next to the 442.
Will report back with how I solved it.

Thx for all the good in-put,
Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
AnthonyG

Checked the dimensions on the car with the 5.51" length on the mini alt. and the math works. The part that makes it work is the terminations are on the top with no projections towards the back of it vs the 1 wire standard alt.. the standard is only 6" to the actual rear of the alt. but has the terminations sticking out the back adding another 3/4". So it looks like I'll have overall 1.25" shorter giving me more than 1/4"clearance.

Impatient as am as indicated I ordered the 1" spacer and will try it first to see how it works but will definitely keep the mini alternator resolve as a back up if the spacer incurs issues.
Thx again to all who posted comments.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
39topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Maybe another way to approach the situation; wouldn't it be easier to sell the 3x2 adapter along with the 4bbl intake and ram giz and get a 3x2 intake, you already have the carbs, etc and it may perform better.
Exactly, seems like a no brainer to me.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
33cabriolet

if the carb ices again just pull over and let the heat from the engine melt the ice ,hood on would help too. John
33cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote