Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
sssraj

Default Need Pictures of the 2 hood latch springs and mounting location on a 1939 Ford Deluxe

Anyone have a 1939 Deluxe Ford that could post some detailed pictures of the hood latch springs and there location.
The hood latch springs are the springs that mount behind the hood ornament and handle up inside the hood.
I'm missing the springs and I do not see where they attach.
Thanks
Bob
sssraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
klicker

Default Re: Need Pictures of the 2 hood latch springs and mounting location on a 1939 Ford De

I only have one spring on my hood latch. It goes on the small lever (that locks out the latch so you don't close the latch before the hood is closed, which damages the the top framework of the grille). I hope these pictures help. The spring goes from the lever to a hole int the framework towards the nose of the hood. Is this correct? I don't know for sure. If there is supposed to be two springs, I can't see where the second one would go.

I hope the pictures help.

Last edited by klicker; 05-03-2011 at 11:07 AM.
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
sssraj

Default Re: Need Pictures of the 2 hood latch springs and mounting location on a 1939 Ford De

Klicker,
Thank you for the pictures and the reply. I do not have any on mine and came across this spring kit in the Early Ford Store. I'm not sure either. One spring is large and the other small.

[URL="http://lbcunited.com/earlyford2/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/11/products_id/2239?"].

If I get a more detailed picture I'll post it. We have a big show coming up next week I'll see if anyone has a '39 Deluxe I can sneak a couple of photos from. Bob
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
38 coupe

Which hood latch do you have, early or late? The early latch has two thick wire hooks that latch on brackets on the left and right side of the grill. The late latch has one forged hook that latches in the middle of the grill. The mechanisms are different.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
sssraj

I have the early style hood latch.
thanks Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1271.jpg (59.2 KB, 169 views)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
38 coupe

I have an early 39 deluxe at my parent's place. Dad just volunteered to take pictures of the latch mechanism. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures in a day to two. Maybe someone else will beat me to it?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
sssraj

Thanks, any help would be appreciated. I took another close look and it is possible one of the springs loops around the pin in the picture that holds the rod to the latch handle, but hard to tell.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
I have an early 39 deluxe at my parent's place. Dad just volunteered to take pictures of the latch mechanism. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures in a day to two. Maybe someone else will beat me to it?
Any luck with the photos?
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Fourdy

I realize that this is a 40 but not knowing if there is any likeness, I offer this graven image as a possible help.

Fourdy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 221 Hood latching.jpg (29.8 KB, 132 views)
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdy View Post
I realize that this is a 40 but not knowing if there is any likeness, I offer this graven image as a possible help.

Fourdy
Appreciate the effort but early 39 is a completely different animal. thanks!
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
38 coupe

Dad couldn't get any pictures to come out. However, he did describe the spring. On my hood, there is one spring that goes from the top of the handle down and back to the middle of the cross piece. This spring holds the handle up when the latch is released. It is not a particularly strong spring, just strong enough to hold the handle above a 45 degree angle when the hood is down and the latch not closed.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
sssraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Dad couldn't get any pictures to come out. However, he did describe the spring. On my hood, there is one spring that goes from the top of the handle down and back to the middle of the cross piece. This spring holds the handle up when the latch is released. It is not a particularly strong spring, just strong enough to hold the handle above a 45 degree angle when the hood is down and the latch not closed.
Thanks for the effort
Bob

Mike .... No not yet but maybe I'll be able to find something at Jefferson this weekend.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
sssraj

I was able to get a picture of a 1939 Ford Deluxe with the old style hood latch, but it only had one spring?
Can any one verify if this looks correct and is accurate? Thanks for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1313.jpg (8.6 KB, 128 views)
Old 05-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
Terry,OH

I am not an expert but have looked at a very early 38-39-40 parts book. For the 39 Dlx, the upper connection point appears to be as 1940 a small bracket with a hole for the spring and attached to the screw through another hole 91A-16873. This bracket can be seen in the drawing attached by Fourdy above. It is missing in the photo you have posted. The longer spring that attach's to the bracket is 91A-16871 it is also used on the 40 Std. The shorter spring is most likely 91A-16635-C 2.6" long and used on the 39 Deluxe for 39. So this is where the water gets muddy, since Ford decided to redesign the catch for 39 there appear two other springs 91A-16635-A is 4.68" long and used on the 39 Deluxe and 40 Deluxe, as well as 91A-16635-B is 3" long and used on the 39 Deluxe and 40 Std. The 38-39 restoration book has a bit of information regarding the dates some of the springs went into use as well as drawings and photos, but not of the springs installed, also see the green parts catalog p 365 for drawing.The only drawings showing the installed springs, I can find, are for 1940.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img066.jpg (95.4 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 05-03-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
KGS

Bob, That picture isn't correct. The spring location that you're looking for is a little hole directly aft of the hood latch approximately and inch or two. the spring attaches in that hole and goes straight back about three inches (approx), to a small, 90 degree bend in the latch mechanism. I have both styles and can take a picture but I can't post them. Send me a PM and I'll try and send direct. Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
sssraj

Terry, OH

Thank you for all the information. This was very helpful.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #17
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Any luck with the photos?
Kube, I sent some pics to Bob. Do you need them as well? Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
Joe/Ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssraj View Post
Anyone have a 1939 Deluxe Ford that could post some detailed pictures of the hood latch springs and there location.
The hood latch springs are the springs that mount behind the hood ornament and handle up inside the hood.
I'm missing the springs and I do not see where they attach.
Thanks
Bob
I just took several pics of the hood latch spring on my '39 deluxe coupe, both from the left and right, with the latch down and up. Below I show only the right side, first with the latch down, then up. I've also included an outside pic of the grill. (If you need the others, I can send them direct.) Note that there is only one hood latch spring (about 7" long); one end is attached to the knuckle of the internal mechanism, the other to the hood ornament bolt.

Hope this helps...

Joe/Ct

"The older I get, the better I was"

Last edited by Joe/Ct; 05-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
sssraj

Joe/CT
Thank you very much for the detailed pictures. Yours looks similar to the ones I took. KGS also sent me some and looks similar to Klicker's pictures. KGS pointed out on my hood I appear to be missing the bracket that the spring attaches to. This bracket appears to be where the one end of the hood latch spring attaches, then the other end hooks to a hole in the brace that goes to towards the front the hood.
Klicker, you explained that but I guess I just did not grasp it. Thanks,
I just want to thank all of you for all the pictures and the help. KGS thank you for your offer as well. the attachment was one that KGS sent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 744.jpg (62.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
sssraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Kube, I sent some pics to Bob. Do you need them as well? Ken
Ken I sent Mike the photos. thanks