Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
arps corporation

Default Special tool.

I am working on a 1954 Ford F-100 and I am having a nasty time trying to remove the window and door handles. I know there is a Horse Shoe type clip that holds them on, I looked in the shop manual to find out how to remove them, and they show the special tool for removing them, but, nobody has that tool, anymore. Seems all that is available is the tool that you remove the Horse Shoe clips from a General Motors door and window cranks. The LMC Ford book shows this exact tool, but does not work. I tried the dish rag trick, and that didn't work either. How exactly, are yo supposed to get the door and window cranks off, correctly? And what tool are you supposed to use, exactly? If anybody has any ideas and pictures of tools that a person is supposed to use, please let me know. If the shafts were a bit longer, I would use a 1956 door and window crank on the 1954, as 1956 used set screws but looked like the 1954's. But tried that as well, and the shafts are just a bit too short.
arps corporation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: Special tool.

The tool on the far right is for the clips:http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-38386.html But I have also used this set too:http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-38386.html The one with the hook worked real well,I pushed in on the door panel and grabbed the clip with the hook and gave it a tug and bingo!
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Lanny

Loading media

$6.97

Molding Clip Pliers, Each
Estimated Ship Date: 3/7/2014 (if ordered today) Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

View Similar Products

Part Type:Interior Specialty Tools

Brand:Lisle

Manufacturer's Part Number:35200

Part Type:Interior Specialty Tools

Summit Racing Part Number:LIL-35200

UPC:083045352006

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.
================================================== =

The tool listed above is the one you need to get
from SUMMIT. 1-800-230-3030

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
The tool on the far right is for the clips:http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-38386.html But I have also used this set too:http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-38386.html The one with the hook worked real well,I pushed in on the door panel and grabbed the clip with the hook and gave it a tug and bingo!
Those sets are both the same...

I have one like Lanny, works great.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-20-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Yes the one suggested by Jeff B2 is the proper one. I just looked at the one Ive had for forty years. I use it to remove the handles on my corvette.
================================================

The push-in style like you say worked on your vette, is great, but that doesn't meen will work on the 50's Ford pickup, as their handle spring clips are only accessible from the backside of the clip, and the other end is enclosed, so you need to pull it out with the plier style.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
billwill

K.D.Tools
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
bob ford

The way I've been doing it for the past 50 + years on them *$@# clips is to make my own homemade tool . A 6" piece of thin stiff wire (like a coat hanger)
with a short hook on one end bent a little more than 90* then 4-5" long then another bend (I usually make a loop for my finger). I slip a flat blade screwdriver in between door panel and handle and use homemade tool to pull that @*#^ clip out. It will usually take some fiddling to git bends right BUT it will work. My dad used to call them "Jesus clips" and cuss a lot!!!
Worked on a lot of early-mid 50's FORDs Mercs,Lincolns with him way back in fiftys and still miss workin with him
bob ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

Snap-on Tools still sells some of the ones shown in the first set of pictures. I have also seen them at places like O'Rileys and other auto parts stores.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Ole Don

You can make a puller type clip remover from a broken hack saw blade. Our school shop teacher taught us this in our junior year. That would be 1959. Mine has been used regularly since. Grind a hook in the end, wrap tape around the other end.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
jimvette59

Smile Re: Special tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
================================================

The push-in style like you say worked on your vette, is great, but that doesn't meen will work on the 50's Ford pickup, as their handle spring clips are only accessible from the backside of the clip, and the other end is enclosed, so you need to pull it out with the plier style.

Ok Lanny.
jimvette59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
frank long island

you can modify the newer horseshoe clip remover the older shafts are wider then the modern ones so it won't slide in far enough to push the clip just open the middle so it will slide onto the handle and it will push the clip it worked for my 55 wagon you can get a cheap one at harbor freight

Last edited by frank long island; 02-23-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
jimvette59

Quote:
Originally Posted by arps corporation View Post
I am working on a 1954 Ford F-100 and I am having a nasty time trying to remove the window and door handles. I know there is a Horse Shoe type clip that holds them on, I looked in the shop manual to find out how to remove them, and they show the special tool for removing them, but, nobody has that tool, anymore. Seems all that is available is the tool that you remove the Horse Shoe clips from a General Motors door and window cranks. The LMC Ford book shows this exact tool, but does not work. I tried the dish rag trick, and that didn't work either. How exactly, are yo supposed to get the door and window cranks off, correctly? And what tool are you supposed to use, exactly? If anybody has any ideas and pictures of tools that a person is supposed to use, please let me know. If the shafts were a bit longer, I would use a 1956 door and window crank on the 1954, as 1956 used set screws but looked like the 1954's. But tried that as well, and the shafts are just a bit too short.
Just found one in my tool box. Did you order one or get the correct tool.
Jim.T.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
jimvette59

Is this the tool you are looking for? You can get me at 631-928-1538 or email me at [email protected]. JIM.T.

This is a K-D # 430 Tool Door handle spring remover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0367.JPG (56.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0370.JPG (30.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by jimvette59; 02-23-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
jimvette59

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
K.D.Tools
Hi I have one the # is K-D 430 door handle spring remover.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
arps corporation

The K-D Door Handle Spring Remover Tool looks like what I am looking for. That is the kind of tool shown in the 1952 Ford car shop manual. As I have the original shop manual for the 1952 Ford car, as well as the 1954-55 Ford truck as well. Thank you all for your help, but am having trouble finding this removal tool anywhere. I live in Central Wisconsin. If anybody has one for sale, please contact me here, or call/text me at 608-403-8335. Thank you very much.
arps corporation is offline   Reply With Quote