Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
arps corporation

Default Motor help

City: City Point
State: WI
Price: $00.00

I picked up a 1954 Ford 1/2 ton pickup, from South Dakota, it has a straight 6 cylinder (Overhead), and a 3 speed on the colum. The motor was rebuilt several years ago, ( probably in the 1970's), but then it was parked, and the motor was allowed to sit without being turned over, since. So now, I have the task of trying to break it loose. The 2 front cylinders are loose, as are the two back ones. (I sprayed Diesel Fuel in those cylinders and had let them soak, and the Diesel Fuel eventually soaked in. (I also took a round wooden handle about the size of a hammer handle and went around the top of each piston and tapped the top of the handle with a hammer. Like I said, all are broke loose except for the 2 middle cylinders. Those do not wanna break loose. I have tried Diesel Fuel, Marvel Mystery Oil, Stoddard, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, and everything else available. I was wondering, if I were to take a cutting torch, and just very lightly warm the top of the piston, and possibly the expanding and contraction action would help loosen it up. Would this work? Or does anybody have any better ideas? If so please feel free to let me know. Using the cutting torch is my last idea, short of pulling the motor and tearing it appart. I do have another motor that does run, but this one being rebuilt, I thought I could save it. Anyway any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated, thank u all very much.
arps corporation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
parklane

Default Re: Motor help

Is the head off the engine?? If so,I would get a large wooden block about the same size as the piston (shape it if needed), place it on top, and give it a good solid smack with something larger than a regular hammer.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
hook00pad

You might try putting some kind of rotational force on the flywheel while tapping as well, since you have most of the pistons free. It might be hard to tell which way it needs to rotate, tho.
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

I agree with Parklane, and stay away from prying on the flywheel or twisting on the damper bolt. If you're going to use any heat, I wouldn't go hotter than a propane torch.
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Bader

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
You could try vinegar, I've had that work.And a chunk of 4x4 and a BFH!
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote