Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Greg out west

Lightbulb fuel filter tip,,,(thank's)

Hi Guy's

I just wanted to say "Thank's" to I think Steve, Mitch & other's for the sediment bowel fuel filter "Tip" I ordered it & was surprised how nice it fit in the bowel...Look's like a stock part...&&& it will filter the gas better than the screen !!!!

O'Reilly ordered a Wix's & the part # is 33039,I think the Napa # is 3039 Like they said way back "try it, you'll like it"

Thanks Guy's

Greg out west

Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: fuel filter tip,,,(thank's)

Greg your welcome thanks for the response

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 05-30-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Dick So. Cal.

I hope it didn't hurt your bowel!
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Tacoma Bob

I have only had one of those fail. The "epoxy" glue let go and the paper accordion dropped in the bowl. I have used many through the years and really like them. I usually change every spring.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
tbirdtbird
BANNED

my filter filters all my apostrophes to avoid catastrophes of a clogged carb
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

1. Even though not always "In Stock" everywhere, lots of auto parts stores can order the Wix 33039 or Napa Gold 3039 in the price range of $4.00 to $6.50 or so each.

2. However, Fleet Filter: Phone: (866) 949-3458 -- 1102 South Austin, Brenham, TX 77833; (which can also be found "On Line"), sells them for $3.23 each, plus added shipping if mailed, w/no tax in some cases depending where one lives.

3. The Wix 33039 & Napa Gold 3039 are both the same, made in Mexico for many years.

4. Ordered six (6) a few days ago -- they sent the NAPA Gold 3039 -- very fast service.

5. Works well with filter in glass bowl first, brass screen placed on top of filter, gasket above screen; next fill bowl with fuel to avoid glass bowl air pocket; & install with gasket on very top to form a seal.

6. Find with a rusty or semi-rusty fuel tank it filters more small, fine rust dust type fuel particles which can partially clog the carburetor GAV & jets; hence, after a thorough Model A or Model B carburetor cleaning this filter allows one to continue to operate with the GAV turned in a more clockwise direction for many miles.

Like those in above replies, never experienced a problem with same.

Just hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-31-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick So. Cal. View Post
I hope it didn't hurt your bowel!
"BOWEL"!! Now thet's FUNNY, Dick-- I use ONLY the old cast iron type bowel, has a good fool proof screen, never leaks, nothing to look at & wurry some more Wurry is non-productive, it's jist playing tapes in yo' head thet says,"WHAT IF"-WHAT IF?-WHAT IF?-----------& WHAT IF, usually NEVER happens, anyhow! Concern is a better alternative!
Once or twice a year I open the pet cock to check for H2O & fergit it. I've NEVER had "vapor lock" or plugged up my carb with the cast iron bowel!--Bill W.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
clocey

Can someone explain? Is the filter above used to replace the screen that is in the top of the glass sediment bowl? Any modifications needed? Anything special to do other than drop it in?

Thanks
Curt
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Bill,

In my opinion, those who admire you, admire you because you are really uniquely fool proof.

Just like your best dog friend, Buster-T, continue to treat others with respect, smile, & enjoy life while we are all still here.

Don't worry about anything like "What If"; nothing will be ever be right until we correct it & make it right.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocey View Post
Can someone explain? Is the filter above used to replace the screen that is in the top of the glass sediment bowl? Any modifications needed? Anything special to do other than drop it in?

Thanks
Curt
Curt,
reads H.L.'s post #6---- bullet #5 and yes it drops right in witn no mods..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Curt,

FWIW; Hope this helps a little to partly analyze the vintage Model A fuel filtering system.

Tops of vintage vehicle glass bowls provided in such a fuel filtering systems have a lower inner, round glass step for the non-ferrous fine mesh filter screen to rest on; & also an outer higher sealing round glass step for the cork or rubber gasket to rest on & to seal the top of the glass bowl after this gasket has been compressed with the lower threaded connection.

Fuel enters the glass bowl by gravity, through the center hole of the filter screen and/or through the center hole of the 3039 paper filter element; hence, larger rust particles & fuel debris falls to the bottom of the glass bowl or with a 3039, falls to the metal bottom of the 3039 fuel filter by gravity.

Fuel next flows by head pressure upwards & out of the forward positioned gas line & then flows by gravity down to the carburetor ......... with only the original horizontal screen, this fine screen filters the fuel ........ with a 3039, the vertically provided pleated paper filters the fuel.

The 3039 filter has an upper, horizontal paper disc with a center hole, similar to the center hole in the screen, & the 3039 also has outer drilled holes inside the outer circumference of the disc to allow passage of fuel upwards & out to the carburetor.

The cork or rubber glass bowl gasket compresses when tightened, & pushes down inward on both the screen & the 3039 top circular paper element to seal & prevent fuel from passing through the outer edges of these filters.

If a 3039 filter is installed, the fuel debris will remain inside the 3039 pleated paper filter.

The original non-ferrous screen could be omitted when the 3039 is in use; however, I install the screen on top, just in case there is a one-in-a-billion chance that the paper filter would come unglued or get clogged, where it could be discarded & thus allow the original screen to continue filter fuel in an emergency.

The vintage screen mesh is also fine enough where water will not pass through it -- if one gets fuel with water, one can see the water resting in the bottom of the glass bowl.

Others may be able to add more.