Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Roadster62

Default What happens now that all the questions are answered?

I still don't own a copy of the Judging Standards, and will never do a "Fine Point", just wondering what happens to data and photos of unrestored A's now? Case in point is an early '28 Phaeton that has sat in a local garage for 53 years with a brush paint job over all the original features. Lots of small details that catch your eye, and would be corrected in most restorations. Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thanksgiving417_zps7eaa9dae.jpg (39.4 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by Roadster62; 12-19-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: What happens how that all the questions are Answered?

Sorry, I miss the point?????
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
J Franklin

Send the info to MAFFI.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Bob,

I also have missed the point.

Also, Fine Point or no Fine Point, the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards is a guide, again, whether one does Fine Point or no Fine Point Model A Cars and Trucks, is a great guide in assembling the right parts when restoring a Model A/AA vehicle.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Rowdy
BANNED

News to me, if they have all been answered why are several people doing research and why does the JS committee hold meeting at the Benson. Missing what you are after with your post. Rod
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Bob. Maybe you could reword your question and give the experts a chance to give you the answer. These guys will do everything in their power to clarify issues but they must know what the issue is !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Roadster62

Default Re: What happens now that all the questions are answered?

Ok, as I understand things the powers that be have determined what the correct and accepted features are in restored Model A's. What does one do with a newly found untouched car that has unique details, are updates welcomed, or should this info be kept with the car they belong with?
Old 12-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Ok, as I understand things the powers that be have determined what the correct and accepted features are in restored Model A's. What does one do with a newly found untouched car that has unique details, are updates welcomed, or should this info be kept with the car they belong with?
Simple answer, probably a employee who was hungover didn't give a crap and assembled it like that because it was easier, but still that is very unique.
We must remember all these cars were built hands on by humans, not by machines or robots. Human error is common, there was probably scratches, runs, missing cotter keys, incorrectly installed parts, and left over parts being used up.

I have total respect for all the research that has gone in to the js, and I am. Rey picky when I restore my truck, BUT they were still built hands on
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
J Franklin

If you find an anomaly that you think is truly original it should be fully documented if you plan to change it. The next owner might be interested in the findings. My last post still stands.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Roadster62

Who is the MAFFI? I'll just add the stuff to threads I find here, as I did with the side curtain storage pan. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
If you find an anomaly that you think is truly original it should be fully documented if you plan to change it. The next owner might be interested in the findings. My last post still stands.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Remembering that the restoration guidelines are supposed to represent how Ford WANTED the car to leave the factory. If an anomaly is found it is documented, and presented to the judges ahead of a competition. The judges decide to allow or disallow the variance and the judging committee makes a decision if this was some change the Ford company made or just a one time thing. If found to be a Ford change it is entered into the new revision. If found to be a one time thing the documentation is still kept in case in the future another case is found it can be revisited.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

I took a closer look at your pic and it appears atleast 2 of the rivets show signs of tampering sometime in the cars history. Rod
Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
bikejunk

as I read it the judging standards do evolve to allow new discoveries over the years. I also will never enter my car in fine point but the JS helps me keep the car as close as I can get to original , good reading!!
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikejunk View Post
as I read it the judging standards do evolve to allow new discoveries over the years. I also will never enter my car in fine point but the JS helps me keep the car as close as I can get to original , good reading!!
Ditto!

Once all the questions are answered, I'm going to Disneyland.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

So let me ask this, ...do you suppose the J/S book will ever be revised again jointly by both clubs after this present set of revisions is finalized/printed??

I don't.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
So let me ask this, ...do you suppose the J/S book will ever be revised again jointly by both clubs after this present set of revisions is finalized/printed??

I don't.
I do...but if not, then at the end of this final revision, the JSC's of both clubs had better desolve their committies BUT I do not think that will happen. Who knows what will take place in the next 10 years or so.

However if the attendence of judging Fine Point cars and trucks at National Meets is on the down swing, then Brent, you are probably right.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The issue as I perceive it is, it is just too time consuming and daunting to continue to research under deadlines & pressures for those people who just volunteer their services to do this laborious task of research & verification. Think about it, there are (--or will be shortly) 6 vacancies collectively on both the club's Judging Stds Committees. While many will argue there is a definite need for a 'changing of the guard' on both committees, finding qualified people to pass the torch on to is going to be difficult.

The other reason is, --"why" do the Standards need to be updated again? Suppose the 2015 Revisions are completed and in print, and then a hobbyist stumbles onto a new discovery in his personal research. At this time he submits his new knowledge to the JSC and applies for a variance for his vehicle. The varience is likely accepted and the judges act on that accordingly.

I personally feel the next wave of JSC members will put their efforts more into Education and Training instead of Research. Time will tell....

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Bob Bidonde

Don't take the judging standard so seriously. The judging standard is a guide, and not necessarily correct in all cases. Go by the evidence you find on your Model "A," and what you learn by polling the members of your local club and the Ford Barn who have similar Model "A's."

Another point is that fine point judging and reliable touring don't mix. Cars restored to fine point judging are trailer queens, and not reliable.

I for one, can afford to have a fine touring Model "A," but I cannot afford to have a fine point show car, so the judging standard to me is nothing more than a reference book. Knowing my $$$ limitations, I build the cars I restore to my liking.

Frankly, restoring a Model "A" to showroom new condition is not representative of the way they were within a few months after delivery. The Model "A" fueled a revolution in aftermarket accessories, and there were fads like radiator art. There were gadgets galore for the Model "A." Many Model "A's" had some custom paint work that personalized the car to the owner's liking. For examples, many had extra pin stripping, wheel colors and I noticed that many cars had the upper hood panels painted upper body color.

Another concern has to be safety. Every Model "A" that is driven needs to have modifications such as seat belts, turn signals, safety glass, LED tail lights and headlights superior to the originals.

Touring reliability and comfort has also to be paramount for the touring Model "A's." A modern ignition coil, high cranking amp battery, electrical fuses, modified water pump, oil filtration, heater, muffler heat shield, extra padding in the seats, wind wings, and on and on and ......
Old 12-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Charles Coe

I don't agree that fine point cars cannot be reliable. When the Model A was a new car, folks drove them coast to coast. If they weren't reliable there wouldn't be so many still around today.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
J Franklin

To answer the question "What is MAFF!?" look here-

http://maffi.org/index.htm