Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
B-O-B

Default bad gas

WWW.PURE-GAS.ORG go here for ethanol free gas in your area.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: bad gas

I have four old cars as well as two daily drivers. In my area we can only buy the 10 % stuff. I have never had a problem with any gas related component in any car of mine.

If you buy the right stuff, you won't either. Using NOS stuff that hasn't been updated for ethanol is asking for trouble.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
46yblock

My experience with E10 goes back to 1987. I had a Chevy Sprint with a Suzuki 1000 cc engine (solid lifters). It was purchased due to the advertised 50 mpg, and then I had 70 mile daily commute. Gas mileage on the little car was checked MANY times, and it was always 49 mpg. I even removed all but the drivers seat and a did a few other weight saving mods, along with ultra conservative driving technique, to see if it would improve mileage, but it remained 49 mpg.

E10 was being offered in KS about that time. I jumped on it to keep a few bucks from going offshore. Mileage dropped to 46 mpg. No more E10.

Fast forward to recent times. I have a fuel cell with a rubber seal on the inlet. It has dissolved. Rubber remnants can still be seen floating in the bottom of the tank.

Some of my gas line is neoprene. It becomes ridgid, hard, in one year. An easy comparison can be made between it and the pliable neoprene line of my PCV setup.

Autolite carbs are my choice. Planned replacement of float needle, accelerator pump, and power valve is now each 2 years, and that with a complete emptying of carb over the winter.

I hate E10. A ripoff, and poor fuel. With the added expense of good gas, I try to run 100% everyother fill.

Last edited by 46yblock; 04-11-2012 at 12:40 AM.
46yblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
40cpe

The issue with ethanol in gasoline is that the water settles out of the alcohol when the fuel gets old causing corrosion and bad running. I combat it in my old Fords by keeping small amounts in my tanks so I can burn it before it gets old. I use non-ethanol gas in all my small lawn, etc engines and use stabil to keep it fresh longer.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote