Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
V8COOPMAN

Default HEADERS on a STOCK '34

A friend has pretty much made-up his mind that he wants to put headers on his VERY STOCK '34 coupe, enlisting my help. His one stipulation, on which we can all agree, is that the car CANNOT be "cut" upon to accomplish this. With that in mind, has anyone on this board any "real world" experience with such? Everyone usually thinks of two possibilities off the bat...Fentons, and Red's Headers. Most of us know that when Red was runnin' the show, the headers showed-up on the Big Brown truck and they FIT, period! We've heard stories since Red retired that there are occasional problems now with fit and manufacture. Any of ya have first-hand knowledge of the above, good or bad? Any other "tube header" suggestions from real-world experience? OK, Fentons...we've heard that there can be fitment issues of different sorts with the "repro" Fentons on occasion, especially clearances around the steering box on a stock '34. Any real-world (personal experience) advice for or against using Fentons? Finally, we probably have a pretty good idea how much difference adding ONLY headers to a healthy, stock '34 V-8 will make, but it would be interesting to hear from someone, or a few of you, with personal experience. PLEASE, please don't send us over to the HAMB for this info. Most of us here know that some of those guys over "there" will just encourage us to get the saws, torches, hatchets and grinders out to start "hacking" on this pretty little coupe. DD

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 09-12-2011 at 04:25 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: HEADERS on a STOCK '34

I never put headers on my 33 BUT I did make up a nice set of pipes off the original manifolds,I used a Burns stainless collector to join up the two pipes,made them up from 1.3/4 tube and got the setup ceramic coated.
The look great and the eng seems to run nice.
If I knew how I could post a pic.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

V8COOPMAN ........................
That 1934 Phaeton, in my avatar, is completely stock, with a set of Red's Headers on it. Nothing had to be cut. The exhaust was custom made by a local (W.Va.) muffler shop.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
gearhead1952

I just bought a pair of Red's headers for my 34 with stock steering. They are really nice. Flanges are thick, flat and all the bolts went into the block smoothly with no binding. I plan on routing my exhaust thru the frame instead of under and asked Jim at Red's if he would make me up a custom driver side that would move the outlet up. His answer sure and the best part was no extra charge!!! I shipped back the driver side and he just emailed me to say the new one is in the mail, only been a week. the passenger side outlet is located at the midpoint of the frame when looking from the side but you can order it matched more to the location of the driver side where the intention is to route the pipes directly under the frame. Red's headers had plenty of clearance around the steering box. Cost was $190 plus shipping. Fentons dump out just above the wishbone plus you will probably have to clearance them to fit around the steering box.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Bill Wright

Like Gearhead I put a set of Sanderson's headers on my '37.
The muffler shop in town hooked up the rest of the exhaust.The only change I would make on mine would be to eliminate the chrome tips,turn one exhaust pipe down before it exits the body and leave the other pipe plain steel in the stock location and let it weather.
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
A friend has pretty much made-up his mind that he wants to put headers on his VERY STOCK '34 coupe, enlisting my help. His one stipulation, on which we can all agree, is that the car CANNOT be "cut" upon to accomplish this. With that in mind, has anyone on this board any "real world" experience with such? Everyone usually thinks of two possibilities off the bat...Fentons, and Red's Headers. Most of us know that when Red was runnin' the show, the headers showed-up on the Big Brown truck and they FIT, period! We've heard stories since Red retired that there are occasional problems now with fit and manufacture. Any of ya have first-hand knowledge of the above, good or bad? Any other "tube header" suggestions from real-world experience? OK, Fentons...we've heard that there can be fitment issues of different sorts with the "repro" Fentons on occasion, especially clearances around the steering box on a stock '34. Any real-world (personal experience) advice for or against using Fentons? Finally, we probably have a pretty good idea how much difference adding ONLY headers to a healthy, stock '34 V-8 will make, but it would be interesting to hear from someone, or a few of you, with personal experience. PLEASE, please don't send us over to the HAMB for this info. Most of us here know that some of those guys over "there" will just encourage us to get the saws, torches, hatchets and grinders out to start "hacking" on this pretty little coupe. DD
I'm a long time Hamber... Why would I want to encourage you to get out the saws etc? I think you do the Hamb a dis-service.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
I'm a long time Hamber... Why would I want to encourage you to get out the saws etc? I think you do the Hamb a dis-service.
"....... that some of those guys over "there" will just encourage us to get the saws, torches, hatchets and grinders out to start "hacking" on this pretty little coupe."

Ya know, I only asked two or three relatively simple questions in the original post. Posted on THIS site 'cause MOST of these folks eat and sleep STOCK ol' Fords. So far, there have been five replies, the first four of which were friendly, well-thought-out, useful responses. To those, my sincere thanks. Your opinions were actually quite helpful and much appreciated. Then...there's BASSMAN/NZ. Seems like there's gotta be one in every crowd...THE guy that can't read AND comprehend simple English. BASSMAN...I've made it easy for ya. Carefully read the second, third, fourth and fifth words in the last part of my quoted comment from the original post, right above THIS paragraph. "Some" infers exactly that...SOME, a few more than ONE, and especially not ALL! Well, BASSMAN/NZ, I'm a long-time H.A.M.B.er, too. Ryan and the rest ain't NECESSARILY interested in hearing about STOCK '34 "anythings", especially if it doesn't pertain to "traditional" hot rods, right? Surely, you know the rules over "there", right, 'cause you're "a long time Hamber". There are SOME folks over on the H.A.M.B. that'll really lower the hammer on a guy that even casually implies that he won't "cut" on his ride. That's why I posted this one HERE. Got some really nice, sincere, intelligent replies. Then, you show-up and piss and moan regarding something about which you seem to understand very little. Now, I gotta go over to the H.A.M.B. and take a look at all the intelligent remarks you've made over "there". Many, many thanks to THE REST of you good folks. DD
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
34coupe

coopman,I think you brought up the HAMB to get a reaction of some sort?Then YOU piss and moan when you get one.Others post here without slamming the HAMB. I guess if you put headers on your " Pretty little coupe " it wont be stock will it?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
49r

Re performance, I converted my F1 8BA from single pipe cross-over, stock manifolds/exhaust to Speedway centre dump headers and twin pipes and the performance difference was zero. Maybe I'd notice something if I was interested in high rpm driving ...?
49r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #10
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34coupe View Post
coopman,I think you brought up the HAMB to get a reaction of some sort?Then YOU piss and moan when you get one.Others post here without slamming the HAMB. I guess if you put headers on your " Pretty little coupe " it wont be stock will it?
Exactly.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Bill Wright

But,but,but.......When i got my headers I wanted the engine to run cooler.
It Helped!
Performance enhancements too? Oh, Boy!
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote