Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Gold Digger

Default Reproduction fuel tank

I don't need one but just wondered if there is a source for new fuel tanks. Seems like someone ought to be making them somewhere.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
frank mcdaniels

Default Re: Reproduction fuel tank

Gold Digger, Like most things this has been discussed here before.Apparently the tooling to do this would not be cost effective, so no one has done it. Maybe someone some day will make a plastic reproduction if the market warrants it. I doubt if most guys would want a plastic one anyway. There still are originals available now and then if you watch the swap sight. Frank
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
John LaVoy

I understand it is the liability that is the problem with making the tank that sits in your lap.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LaVoy View Post
I understand it is the liability that is the problem with making the tank that sits in your lap.

As opposed to the reproduction one that you sit on (such as 'one would buy for a Model-T), --or like one found on a motorcycle??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

I found my STICK, again,
If it was "ECONOMICALLY FEASIBLE" some company COULD build a totally correct, authentic Model A, in the most sought after body style! Only problem, when finished, it would be OBSOLETE! Bill W.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I would think the problem is the cost---profit --investment ratio

How much would you pay for a "perfect" reproduction gas tank

It's made with a lot of parts (for a gas tank)---complex stampings in metal that is thicker than most gas tanks --fancy cast and machined fittings, many mounting holes and flanges that that HAVE to be in the correct place ----

How much would you pay??? --would you buy one at 1500$
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
earbleeder

There has to be somebody who knows somebody who knows a guy that can stamp these things out in limited quantities where a liability release could be signed if needed, for under a million bucks. Maybe a group buy thing. Example, there was this company that made a billet aluminum oil pan for a motorcyle. They stopped making it. Someone found an old one. They found a shop to reproduce it on a CNC machine. The shop said buy X many and the price goes considerably down. So they did.
Now. Where's that guy for the tanks?
earbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

According to some of the Model A history books, the gas tank was one of the most complex stampings / assemblies in the entire vehicle.

Or maybe Jay Leno can crank-out gas tanks with his "3-D Printer" ?
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Roadster62

Step up and pay $250.00 or LESS for an ORIGINAL, why look for a problem were there isn't one? Bob....................If you are REAL smart cut the top off every crappy A tank you can find and swap it with MONEY to a Hot Rodder that plans to cut up a useable stock A tank.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by earbleeder View Post
There has to be somebody who knows somebody who knows a guy that can stamp these things out in limited quantities where a liability release could be signed if needed, for under a million bucks. Maybe a group buy thing. Example, there was this company that made a billet aluminum oil pan for a motorcyle. They stopped making it. Someone found an old one. They found a shop to reproduce it on a CNC machine. The shop said buy X many and the price goes considerably down. So they did.
Now. Where's that guy for the tanks?

Speaking as someone who has seen more than just a few of these from the inside, I can tell you there is quite a bit of subtile differences in all the different tanks. If you had to tool up to cover all of the different ones, it would likely take about the same amount was what the winning proceeds from the Powerball lottery payout would be!!

We can repair a stock Model-A gas tank and make it as good as new with just one exception. I cannot affordably coat the inside of the tank with a metalized product such as Terne or Galvanize that would offer assurance that future fuels would be impervious. My only option is to use a non-catalyzed coating to seal the tank. If someone wants to figure out a process to coat the inside for a lifetime, I have figured out how to restore the inside where existing tanks can be refurbished. No need to re-invent the wheel by reproducing the whole tank IMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Big John

and no matter who repros the tank, it still would not fit as an original.....just saying; compare all the other repro parts out there against originals.... all are not quite the same as originals.....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Richard Wilson

I have thought about this for awhile and my ideal would be to just reproduce the tank bottom instead of the entire tank. Most defective tanks that I have ever seen have holes and heavy rust in the bottom while the top is perfect. A competent certified welder could weld the new bottom to the top. By making just the bottom piece I think the liability insurance would be less, the manufacturing would be way less, and the tank would actually fit the cowl. In this case less would be more in my opinion.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
and no matter who repros the tank, it still would not fit as an original.....just saying; compare all the other repro parts out there against originals.... all are not quite the same as originals.....
"All" is a pretty broad statement considering there are some items that have been reproduced that are as original. I think it is more about who is doing the manufacturing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
[email protected]

In this brave new world the next BIG thing is 3-D printing for the home user. This technology that uses AutoCAD software interfacing with a 3-D printer you so you can build your own plastic prototype pieces. Companies like LEGO are getting concerned that all you will have to do soon is buy one of their pieces and then you could duplicate this part exactly time and time again. There goes their profitable market..... It is similar to what happened to the Music Industry with everyone pirating their MP3 music files for their IPODs.

This technology is making rapid advances in doing parts now in powdered metal instead of plastic. It is already being used in knee replacement ball and sockets. Future space missions will not take a tool box but a 3-D printer and the software for making every part used in their craft..

So in the near future some home hobbiest with one of these 3-D printers will start to make his own Motormeters, shifter forks, etc... So we just have to wait for the fuel tank......
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
newshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In this brave new world the next BIG thing is 3-D printing for the home user.
A while back, I began wondering how antique car collectors a hundred years from now would restore a "simple" car like a 2013 Ford Fiesta. They may look simple, but there are thousands upon thousands of parts. It's not exactly feasible in today's average garage.

But what if you could download 3D libraries containing printing commands for every part in a Ford Fiesta, or a Ford Model A? Just find your part and print it. The repro part manufactures would sell libraries instead of physical parts. Download a gas tank library and print.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
A while back, I began wondering how antique car collectors a hundred years from now would restore a "simple" car like a 2013 Ford Fiesta.
The will have rotted away long before anyone would want to restore one. The computer and the chips will have long stopped being manufactured.

In my opinion.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
matt92vr4

My Prius has an expandable bladder instead of a tank. I think it would be possible to use something like this inside the original tank.
matt92vr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt92vr4 View Post
My Prius has an expandable bladder instead of a tank. I think it would be possible to use something like this inside the original tank.
Good thought but the internal baffles would have to be removed from the original tank.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Good thought but the internal baffles would have to be removed from the original tank.
Also the float guage wouldn't work with a bladder.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #20
dumb person

Making a repro' bottom of the tank seems like a good idea if you can make it fairly universal fit, as is selling a repro' top of the tank without the bottom ( & someone like me would buy both pieces and fit them together).

Does anyone actually own a 3d printer? i thought those cost as much as a CNC lathe thing (priced in $millions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Also the float guage wouldn't work with a bladder.
Might work if the gauge face was enclosed as part of the bladder. 2 openings for potential leaks then though.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote