Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
paulmusiclover

Default New to the board - with a new 1940 Ford convertible

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to the board from Austin, TX. I've been in the hobby for a couple of years now, but have never taken on a project of quite this level. I just picked up a 1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible and am doing a restomod type restoration (picking up the pieces where the previous owner left off).

One thing that I was curious about... I have a new powdercoated TCI frame in the car from the previous owner, new engine, trans, and the original body, so I have nowhere to check the original VIN. I have transfered the title already, and the number is 7 digits long and starts with 569-- any idea what that indicates? It doesn't seem to jibe with this (http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm) that I found.

Could the previous owner just have missed the zero making it 5-OH-69?

I was also wondering if anyone had pictures of the hydraulic cylinder mechanisms and how they attach to the convertible top, and of the rear seat construction, as I don't have a rear seat and will have to build one.

Thanks for the help!

Paul
paulmusiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
joe plumber

Default Re: New to the board - with a new 1940 Ford convertible

Welcome aboard.Sorry I can't answer any of your questions ,but I will bet someone on here can.You will find that there is a lot of valuable information to be had from the members here .Good luck with your project and perhaps you could post a few photos of your project .Again ,welcome aboard
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Is it possible that the # you have is a state issued VIN?
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
paulmusiclover

I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. The vehicle has been on the road and owned by this older gentleman for many years, was taken off the road and updated twice by him, until this time he decided to change out the frame and go more restomod, then lost interest/time. The last time it was registered was in 1994, and the basic configuration of the serial number seems right... but who knows?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Welcome from a bit south. If it's a Ford it should have been 18-569XXXX. This would be in the model year 1940 for a Ford passenger car with 85-HP.

Maybe they didn't put the 18- on there from the original frame. If he had the original frame laying around, at least you could check.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Ken/Alabama

The top cylinders are vacuum and not hydraulic. The shaft sticking out of the top of the cylinder should have a yoke on it and the yoke has a shoulder bolt through it where it attaches to the top mechanism. The top cylinders mount vertical in the quarters behind the door post,you should see two holes wher the cylinders bolt down. For the rear seat there is a board that run across the body from side to side that the backrest hooks on to and you should have three tabs sticking up from the floor for the bottom of the backrest to screw into. Look at the rear fender wells and you should see a metal flange on each side,thats where the board goes. There is also a board that runs across the floor just behind the door post, it is fastend to those big iron feet down at the floor at the bottom of the doorpost.The front of the rear seat bottom rest on this board. If you need pics I will try to get you some from my car.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
SP_51-F1

Come out to Buda this weekend and take a look. My current plan is to take our '40 convertible. However, if I have a problem, I will be in the `51 pickup.

http://www.capitolcityefv8.org/index.php/events

Good luck!
SP_51-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
FRANK PKNY

Nice to have you aboard. Sorry I can't answere your question on the top. Your best bet may be to get the number off the old frame. On second thought if you already have a valid title just put that number on the frame and don't ask for any problems. JMHO
Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
paulmusiclover

Rotorwench - that sounds like it exactly. I guess it's just missing the 18, which actually seems to be a common thing when they register these vehicles. I actually just bought this vehicle in San Antonio this week and trailered it home! I just ordered a serial number / patent plate, I'll mount that with the number on it.

SP 51-F1 - what's your name, and what color is your car? I'll definitely come out , likely be there around 10:30.. since the '40 is going to need some work before it can come out and play, I'll probably drive down my Cobra - if it's not cold like today! LOL - I'd love to take some measurements of the backseat and see how it all goes together since I have only seen a few pictures so far.

Frank/Alabama - I'd definitely be interested in some pictures of the top mechanism - my vehicle LITERALLY has nothing inside in the back but the hydraulics (updated current type things) , the convertible bows and the wood outline that the hydraulics come up through.

I'm thinking more than likely if I can get the right measurements, I'll buy a junkyard seat out of a vehicle that fits in here and have it recovered when I do my upholstery.

I posted some pics of the vehicle in my profile on here so you guys can see where I'm starting from.

Thanks!

Paul
Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
joel

New boards as described above are available from Roy Nacewicz ( www.fordbolts.com) and welcome.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
SP_51-F1

Paul,

My name is Scott and the '40 is maroon. It belongs to my grandfather, he did the restoration, and will be there too. He and other members may be able to answer other questions you have. Not that members here on FordBarn won't, but sometimes seeing is better than reading.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

-Scott
SP_51-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Mr.34

Welcome to the Forum. My 40 convert is stock so the VIN was easy to read as it is in two places, one on drivers side top rail near steering box and the other is on right side under body and cannot be seen with the body on. Original serial #'s were stamped starting and ending with a * star punch. My 40 coupe is a resto rod with a rebuilt frame with the Mustang ind. front end totally covering the stock serial #. Long story short, I had to spend 5 months and about $2000 obtaining a state Vin # and obtaining a surety bond. Luckily the state appraised the car for half of what I paid so I got off easy. If you have an aftermarket frame, you may have a state issued Vin # which on a rod will not affect value in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010002 (1).jpg (125.6 KB, 24 views)
Mr.34 is offline   Reply With Quote