Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
LukeCutler

Default Question about Boyce motometers

I bought a reproduction Boyce motometer on eBay, and I have a few questions.

First off what temperature should a model A be running when it is in the operating, I'm going to buy a thermometer so I can check the temperature at the radiator fill neck. The temperature probe does not reach the water, but I don't think it is supposed to.

Also I had the engine running for about 30 minutes and the temperature on the motometer didn't even start to show a temperature on it until I shut the truck off, and even then it only went half way to the normal operating range. The engine seemed warm, but I didn't have a thermometer to check it.

Finally, I have several antique double flywheel gas engines, and with them I know that as long as you keep water in them they are not overheating, am I wrong in assuming that since the model A is not a pressurized cooling system that as long as it is not boiling the water out it is not overheating?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Question about Boyce motometers

With a good radiator you should have to install a thermostat so the engine will run at about 180*. As long as the coolant isn't boiling you might be OK. Remember when you have antifreeze, you raise the boiling point, so you don't want to run a hair below boiling.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
Terry, NJ

In the mod. A (and other engines) you get blobs and globs of rust and other stuff that will block passages in places in that cause hot spots in the block and head that will not show up on a gauge. The best Idea is to keep the cooling system as clean as possible. I have a dehumidifier that produces gallons of almost pure, mineral free water. This is the closest to distilled water I have and I use it almost exclusively.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
LukeCutler

When I got the truck there was no radiator, and before I installed the radiator that is in it now I flushed the block, forward and back flushed it. I also flushed the radiator that I bought and I could run a water hose in the top at full flow and it would keep up and flow all the water out the bottom hose connection so I think I have good flow through the radiator.

I never really thought it was overheating, I just wondered if it is normal for the motometer to take a while to show the temperature, and is it common to never make it up to the operating range while sitting idling?
I'm new to model A's, and learning as I go.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
In the mod. A (and other engines) you get blobs and globs of rust and other stuff that will block passages in places in that cause hot spots in the block and head that will not show up on a gauge. The best Idea is to keep the cooling system as clean as possible. I have a dehumidifier that produces gallons of almost pure, mineral free water. This is the closest to distilled water I have and I use it almost exclusively.
Terry
You can buy distilled waster for a dollar a gallon at the Dollar store! Likely cheaper than the electricity required to produce your own. Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
J Franklin

You only need to know to stop if you see mostly red. a thermostat is available if you want quick heat. My motometer never rose much until I needed to ad water.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Bob-A

Wink Re: Question about Boyce motometers

I found that repop Moto-Meters were not very accurate. The last one I used never showed any thermometer fluid movement until the car was actually over heating! Originals are constantly showing movement of
their thermometer fluid when the car is running. Reacting to the temperature of the atmosphere in the top tank of the radiator. The movement is not great, but it is discernable. And once the fluid starts raising higher than normal. Like in the uppermost of the "port hole" near the top of the Moto-Meter face plate. You had better pull over and find out why your "A" is starting to over heat.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote