Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
peewee2you

Default Flathead Top Oiler

What are your thoughts or anyone using a top oiler system? if so what are the benefits and truth to this, engine performance, draw backs, better mileage, less wear on parts. Here is a link to item in question.

http://www.vintageautogarage.com/Amp...it-p/st100.htm
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Flathead Top Oiler

I'm running the AMPCO top oilers, with MMO, on both my '39 CS and '39 LZ. It stopped a valve 'tic' in my '39 CS after about a week of use. It won't increase your horsepower, or give you better mileage, (in my experience) however, it does appear to help keep the valves quite. You also need to install the spacer between the intake and carb so, that could help keep the carb cooler, a good thing if your car/truck is prone to the dreaded Vapor Lock. I'm sure you'll get the usual naysayers here, claiming that MMO and the top oilers are 'snake oil' and will do absolutely nothing for your Flathead... My suggestion is to try it... and see for yourself.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
G.M.

I use MMO in all my old Fords. I have Ampco and MMO oilers on some. BUT your better off putting it in the fuel tank if you DO IT with EVERY refill. Injected it only go's
in the engine. In the gas it can clean the tank, fuel lines, pump and carb before it gets to the engine. G.M.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:46 AM   #4
Vic Piano

I agree with George. I forgot to mention that I use MMO in the gas tank as well.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
4ford

how much do you put in a gallon or tank full??
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee2you View Post
What are your thoughts or anyone using a top oiler system? if so what are the benefits and truth to this, engine performance, draw backs, better mileage, less wear on parts. Here is a link to item in question.

http://www.vintageautogarage.com/Amp...it-p/st100.htm
Funny as heck! This was pre the "Slick 50" poop that way too many guys bought years ago. Later proven to be "snake oil", that company settled for tens of millions...

I can understand introducing MMO in the fuel tank now and then to keep some parts cleaner, however, with today's modern fuels and oils, there is even less benefit to adding this type of products as there was decades ago (think leaded gasoline).

Maintaining clean oil and a clean air filter is the best thing you can do to add longevity to your engine.
One (major) good thing about modern unleaded fuel is its ability to keep your engine clean.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Boss1940

Boy , I could not agree with you more KUBES .
I never liked engine additives, nor will I use them.
The best preventative maintenance you can do is to keep your oil clean , and use the proper viscosity .
I just tore apart a motor that was in a work truck , that I know for a fact had the oil changed every 5 k and the inside of that motor including the valve train was like it was pulled from the assembly line.
Boss1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
Vic Piano

Amen to that Hoop! Most, if not all, of the naysayers here don't drive their Flatheads, except to put them on and off a trailer... The only way to gain knowledge and experience, as to the validity of any product, is to actually use it in a daily driver. Like I said in my first post on this thread, my suggestion is to try it... and see for yourself.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #9
1938 Woody Cape Cod

I put MMO in the gas tank with every fill up...........Bob
1938 Woody Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
G.M.

Maybe the naysayers engines don't run smooth enough to know if the valves are slightly sticking or not??? G.M.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Amen to that Hoop! Most, if not all, of the naysayers here don't drive their Flatheads, except to put them on and off a trailer... The only way to gain knowledge and experience, as to the validity of any product, is to actually use it in a daily driver. Like I said in my first post on this thread, my suggestion is to try it... and see for yourself.
Vic, just curious: I must ask how you KNOW the so called "naysayers" don't drive their cars? Further, how do you know what type of experience they have with things like mechanical engineering, automotive design, automotive repair, etc? All things that would allow an informed opinion on the original posters query.
To simply "use a product" proves nothing unless there is an established with which to compare.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
Vic Piano

Kube, just curious; why do you think I was referring to you? But, if the shoe fits... I've been using MMO in Flatheads for almost 50 years, in original high millage, as well as fresh rebuilds, and I'm happy with the results, even though I'm not a Mechanical Engineer. I reiterate, I suggested that the questioner try it for himself, rather then rely on the opinions of others, including Mechanical Engineers and/or Shadetree Mechanics. So sorry if you were offended...
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #13
Kube

Quote:
Kube, just curious; why do you think I was referring to you? But, if the shoe fits... I've been using MMO in Flatheads for almost 50 years, in original high millage, as well as fresh rebuilds, and I'm happy with the results, even though I'm not a Mechanical Engineer. I reiterate, I suggested that the questioner try it for himself, rather then rely on the opinions of others, including Mechanical Engineers and/or Shadetree Mechanics. So sorry if you were offended...
Yet another assumption. Why do you think I thought that you were referring to me? I was just wondering what you based your opinion upon.
Your answer herein once again proves nothing as you have nothing to make an even comparison to.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Yet another assumption. Why do you think I thought that you were referring to me? I was just wondering what you based your opinion upon.
Your answer herein once again proves nothing as you have nothing to make an even comparison to.
Nothing to compare it to??? How about sticking valves that no longer stick after an application of MMO? If that's not a valid comparison, I don't know what is... Point is; MMO works for me, and has for almost 50 years. What is your opinion based on? Have you ever even used MMO?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Nothing to compare it to??? How about sticking valves that no longer stick after an application of MMO? If that's not a valid comparison, I don't know what is... Point is; MMO works for me, and has for almost 50 years. What is your opinion based on? Have you ever even used MMO?
So, the underlying issue was a mechanical problem within your engine. I am happy for you in that the additive solved the issue.
My experience? Many years of formal training, two degrees and a state indentured apprenticeship. Plus, the "real world" experience of having repaired and / or rebuilt quite literally 100's of engines.

I have used a few additives throughout the past decades and a couple - only a couple, have performed as advertised. I have never used an additive as a "regular" treatment, preferring to build my engines correctly and maintaining them in a likewise way.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #16
Vic Piano

So, let me get this straight Kube, you are admitting that MMO solved the mechanical issue with my Flathead? In other words, you are agreeing that MMO works as advertised...? Well, I guess that settles it! You are my Hero and, the absolute authority on all things Flathead... And, I guess, the only one who knows how to build and maintain them correctly... Wow, how have all the rest of us, who build, maintain and DRIVE our Flatheads, been able to do it for so long, without possessing all your self professed knowledge and expertise??? It must be a miracle...
Old 03-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #17
30-9

I'm not taking any sides here but I have to say this thread is very entertaining. Better than my favorite tv show "finding Big Foot" which btw - watch the next episode I'm told they really see one ----- lol
Old 03-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #18
Scott H in Wheaton

Kool!
An old fashioned pissing contest!

If you like it, use it
If not, then don't

What's so hard about that?

Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-9 View Post
I'm not taking any sides here but I have to say this thread is very entertaining. Better than my favorite tv show "finding Big Foot" which btw - watch the next episode I'm told they really see one ----- lol
Aye, you bet! I heard the caught him on one of them 'ghost cameras' using a diving rod to find some underground water! Can't wait!
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-9 View Post
Yes, and I think they got Big Foot on video tape, putting MMO into the gas tank of a Flathead Ford Truck he uses in the woods... LOL