Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
5window

Default PPG Shopline paint?

The paint I want to use on my Model A-PPG IM124 (a match for Henry's 1929 Balsam Green), is apparently just available as a PPG Shopline color. I'd appreciate opinions on the quality/suitability of this paint and any tips or advice I can give the person painting the car for me. Thanks.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: PPG Shopline paint?

I bought some PPG Concept Balsam Green a couple of months ago. That is their premium acrylic urethane single stage paint. I got a 1/2 pt. to do a test spray. I haven't sprayed any of it yet. I have had two separate problems with PPG Concept colors not being correct - Copra Drab and Bonnie Gray. I solved the problem by going to Dupont ChromaPremier SS paint. Be sure you do a spray out before you paint for real. Don't ask me why you should do that!
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Shopline is the new incarnation of the old Omni line. It's not bad if you're painting a lawn mower or equipment, but there are better paints out there for automotive use in my opinion.

I've used Omni/Shopline before and found it took more coats to get complete hiding as compared to Concept or PPG Global.

The paint itself does spray out nice, but I wouldn't use it for a show quality paint job.

Some people swear by Shopline, but I'm a Concept/Global type.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
glenn in camino

Unless you're going to leave it outdoors 24/7, I think any automotive grade paint will do.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Luke, one or two other interesting thoughts, ....my PPG reps have on several occasions told us that DCC (Concept) will be phased out by the end of this year in my state, and in several states it is already gone and no longer sold because of the heavy metals used in its pigments. PPG's replacement is supposed to be a line called Essential. I have now been talking with DuPont about their ChromaOne line (comparable to DCC line) because it has already changed but they are trying to push me towards using their ChromaPremier line. We're a few weeks away from doing a test shoot with their factory rep. however the one thing that I understand is that although this stuff is VERY expensive (about $90 a sprayable qt), their VOCs and compliancy is of such that it may allow me to keep using a solvent based paint for anopther 3-5 years instead of switching to water-bourne totally. My hesitancy for going to water-bourne right now is the booth changeover costs are still pretty high (about $30k), the look, and obtaining the authentic color formulas.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
5window

I appreciate the replies. But, paint really confuses me. Brent, the paints I am being quoted on here are, I think, more expensive than your very expensive ChromaPremeir-Anyway,PPG 44375 is $109.90/QT as supplied,Martin Senour 65428 green is 114.89/qt.

So that being the case, can anyone give me the proper codes to match a 1929 Balsam green in a 2 stage paint?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Keith True

I have used a lot of the Omni.Years ago the PPG rep told me that as the Concept was improved,and reformulated,the old Concept formula became the Omni.At the time he said the Omni I was using was the Concept of 5 years earlier.I have a building I rent out as a body shop,back then the tenant was a PPG certified applicator.He was doing a Corvette for a friend,and they used it for a couple of PPG seminars.Probably 15 guys around watching the rep explain and apply the substrate and finish over three or four seminars.Everything was done by the book,I remember them blocking the K36 so it would be ready for him to lay on the finish Concept.That was about 10 years ago,the car has always been kept in a heated garage,never left in the sun or out in bad weather,and the owner told me a few months ago the car looks like an alligator.The new rep looked at it(they went through a lot of reps here) said the problem was not the products,it was in the poor prep and application.We are all getting a chuckle out of it,nobody told him until after he looked at it that the whole job had been done under the eye of the previous rep and the gun was held by him for a good portion of the final finish.I am having a problem with some Concept right now.I am painting some parts with a 48 Ford red,fleet color,and the color is pulling back from sharp edges.I painted my 30 RPU that color with Omni,and that didn't happen.The owner of a 53 Ford truck wanted the same color,but wanted the higher quality paint.It is doing what I would have expected the Omni to do.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Luke, one or two other interesting thoughts, ....my PPG reps have on several occasions told us that DCC (Concept) will be phased out by the end of this year in my state, and in several states it is already gone and no longer sold because of the heavy metals used in its pigments. PPG's replacement is supposed to be a line called Essential.
-snipped-
Brent, That's interesting but not surprising with the constant EPA badge & clipboard types sticking their nose everywhere. Last I checked it was available in my area, but that could very well change.

Dupont Centari used to be a favorite paint of mine, and now you can hardly find it- for the same reason you listed above.

I know I can still buy acrylic lacquer at some paint jobbers locally, but I have no great desire to use it.

Sounds like I may need to stock up on my preferred paint while I can still get it!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
I appreciate the replies. But, paint really confuses me. Brent, the paints I am being quoted on here are, I think, more expensive than your very expensive ChromaPremeir-Anyway,PPG 44375 is $109.90/QT as supplied,Martin Senour 65428 green is 114.89/qt.

So that being the case, can anyone give me the proper codes to match a 1929 Balsam green in a 2 stage paint?

Thanks.
Yes, I can see the confusion. "Sprayable Quart" has a different meaning than can quart. For example...

If I were to purchase PPG's DCC Balsam green, I am going to pay about $334 for a gallon of paint, about $50 for a gallon of reducer, and a little over $100 for a quart of Hardener. The mix ratio is 4/2/1 so you will have $334 + $25 (½ of the reducer) + $100 = $459.00. When everything is mixed together, this will yield about 7 quarts of sprayable paint, ...which when you divide the 7 qts. into the total costs, this makes each 'Sprayable Qt.' come to about $65.00 each. If I were to divide the gallon of paint by ¼, my costs for that quart of 'Can' paint would be over $80. That is the difference between the two terms.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes, I can see the confusion. "Sprayable Quart" has a different meaning than can quart. For example...

If I were to purchase PPG's DCC Balsam green, I am going to pay about $334 for a gallon of paint, about $50 for a gallon of reducer, and a little over $100 for a quart of Hardener. The mix ratio is 4/2/1 so you will have $334 + $25 (½ of the reducer) + $100 = $459.00. When everything is mixed together, this will yield about 7 quarts of sprayable paint, ...which when you divide the 7 qts. into the total costs, this makes each 'Sprayable Qt.' come to about $65.00 each. If I were to divide the gallon of paint by ¼, my costs for that quart of 'Can' paint would be over $80. That is the difference between the two terms.

Thanks,Brent! I really appreciate the help. The three colors I've found that I like so far are $391,$399 and $695 a gallon. From 2 different suppliers.
They told me green was a very expensive color. I keep hoping the $695 one,not really a Balsam green, will not be my favorite.

BTW, do you have a code for the PPG DCC Balsam green?