Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #21
30-9

Default Re: Flathead Top Oiler

Rotfl
Old 03-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #22
tubman

Hey! Anyone else noticed the respective signatures? Sums it up in a nutshell!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #23
Vic Piano

Hey tubman, Kube and I play like this all the time, we don't agree on much when it comes to Flatheads, and we push each others buttons on the subject... Just remember, without imagination, there would be no Flatheads, no MMO and no computers for us to play on etc...

By the way, my signature is a quote from Albert Einstein. I could never find validation that the quote Kube uses was actually stated by Ben Franklin though, I would highly doubt it, as he was a very imaginative individual.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #24
FRANK PKNY

I use mmo in my fuel every fill up. The stuff works, been using it for 50 years. How well I never have any valve issues or carb problems, even with the crap gass. Works for me I use about one oz per gallon. That's the story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #25
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hey tubman, Kube and I play like this all the time, we don't agree on much when it comes to Flatheads, and we push each others buttons on the subject... Just remember, without imagination, there would be no Flatheads, no MMO and no computers for us to play on etc...

By the way, my signature is a quote from Albert Einstein. I could never find validation that the quote Kube uses was actually stated by Ben Franklin though, I would highly doubt it, as he was a very imaginative individual.
Kinda' figured it was all in fun. You have to admit, it's amusing juxtaposing the signatures, especially to "outsiders".

I'll compromise and put some MMO in my gas every other fill-up!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #26
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Kinda' figured it was all in fun. You have to admit, it's amusing juxtaposing the signatures, especially to "ousiders".
Yup, Kube put his up after I posted mine, I'm sure it was a 'dig', I get a kick out of it. LOL
Old 03-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #27
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Aye, you bet! I heard the caught him on one of them 'ghost cameras' using a diving rod to find some underground water! Can't wait!
I have seen a guy use diving rods, and he let me use them and they worked!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #28
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I have seen a guy use diving rods, and he let me use them and they worked!
Of course they work, its like saying if you dig you'll find dirt.
You'll almost always eventually find water if you dig deep enough. Its all anecdotal evidence. Had a long thread going about dowsing / divining rods over on Garage Journal. Same outcome as the aliens, BIGFOOT, MMO, and the myth of the female orgasm. Those who have seen, believe. Those who have not seen never will. In the preceeding list I'm no, no, yes, and yes.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 AM   #29
bobH

I believe Kube has described his hacks as 'trailer queens' (or something similar). Seems to me, THAT duty would be a prime candidate for mmo. Although I've also come to believe that trailer queens don't really have to run well, steer, brake, or have good rear ends, transmissions, or clutches. This observation comes from my own purchase of a 'restored' car that did quite well in efv8 national meet judging, was documented in the V8 Times, and proved to be terrible as a 'driver'.
As a side note, I have a long-time friend, who has had his flatheads for about 70 years - five of them. One is his prime driver, and last I knew, has over 900,000 miles on it. (40 Merc, 3/8 -3/8, 59, rump-rump, etc) He's a meticulous engineer, and documents in log books, everything. He has a habit of freshening his engines every 100K, or so. He measures wear and records it for all surfaces that wear. He learned back in the 60's that use of mmo significantly reduced cylinder wear. He has top-end oilers on his cars. He also uses water filters with the sacrificial plate in them. And, also, Franz oil filters. I once saw inside one of his engines after a 100K cycle - immaculate. He's the only one I know who has flathead wear records for pre-mmo, and post-mmo.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #30
Bassman/NZ

I wish we could get that stuff here.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #31
A bones

Cool Re: Flathead Top Oiler

Kinda late to weigh in here. (But I've been away in the hospital since 'the holidays'.) Here's the news. I've run many vehicles new and old. The ones that I found old (high mileage over 1K) had problems. In the old days it could be stuck rings(remember them?) and/or valves. The motors would sweeten up, and live to run many more pleasant higher miles. By the way, if it were stuck rings....the Marvel went in the crankcase. Yes! the prescription also included fresh clean filters. (Why would that need to mentioned here on this site?)

As time marched on some of the (newer '70's) older motors were victim of detonation and post ignition run on. Marvel in the gas for at least a few hundred miles and the response and sound of the engine made proud me of my bargain ride.

In the early '60's, before I owned a car, I overheard a smooth talking new car salesman tell a newbie when when he got hold of a demo car to get a Qt of Marvel pour half in the tank, half in the crank, and drive the piss out of it for break in. Never tried it myself. When I was able to afford new, I would pour as recommended and drive nice for break in. Afterward one oz. per gal. of gas...forever. Until I can no longer twist that ignition key. I'll be holding my Marvel high trying to sight the number of ounces left in the bottle.

For the record, I have six tanks to fill. (plus two cans for the riding mower) Long live high mileage motors. By the way, ever talked to the guys who cherish un-restored antique motor cycles? BTW Lets be clear, Slick 50 is a totally different approach to a totally different symptom. Marvel helps oil do its job by cleaning. Slick claims better mileage by coating.

One more thing to throw in here: can't recall where I saw it, someone mentioned that flat valve motors don't bathe the valves stems in oil as OHVs do. Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #32
Vic Piano

Ok, it would appear, based on the number of responses in this thread, that the majority are pro-MMO. Further, their findings are based on actual usage over time, in various Flatheads. In the final analysis, it's up to each individual to decide weather or not MMO works, in their applications. As for me, I have, and will continue to use MMO in my Flatheads because of the positive results I've seen over many years of driving Flatheads.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #33
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I believe Kube has described his hacks as 'trailer queens' (or something similar). Seems to me, THAT duty would be a prime candidate for mmo. Although I've also come to believe that trailer queens don't really have to run well, steer, brake, or have good rear ends, transmissions, or clutches. This observation comes from my own purchase of a 'restored' car that did quite well in efv8 national meet judging, was documented in the V8 Times, and proved to be terrible as a 'driver'.
As a side note, I have a long-time friend, who has had his flatheads for about 70 years - five of them. One is his prime driver, and last I knew, has over 900,000 miles on it. (40 Merc, 3/8 -3/8, 59, rump-rump, etc) He's a meticulous engineer, and documents in log books, everything. He has a habit of freshening his engines every 100K, or so. He measures wear and records it for all surfaces that wear. He learned back in the 60's that use of mmo significantly reduced cylinder wear. He has top-end oilers on his cars. He also uses water filters with the sacrificial plate in them. And, also, Franz oil filters. I once saw inside one of his engines after a 100K cycle - immaculate. He's the only one I know who has flathead wear records for pre-mmo, and post-mmo.
My "hacks"? Exactly what do you mean by "hack"?

I feel for you in the fact that you did not inspect the so called "show car" that you had purchased. Because you chose not to inspect the vehicle should not and does not mean all "show cars" are equally as poorly built as yours turned out to be.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #34
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=bobH;1056686]I believe Kube has described his hacks as 'trailer queens' (or something similar). Seems to me, THAT duty would be a prime candidate for mmo. Although I've also come to believe that trailer queens don't really have to run well, steer, brake, or have good rear ends, transmissions, or clutches. This observation comes from my own purchase of a 'restored' car that did quite well in efv8 national meet judging, was documented in the V8 Times, and proved to be terrible as a 'driver'.
QUOTE]

I just wish I could justify what it would take to own one of those Kube "trailer queen hack jobs". Hell, I've heard that ya gotta stand in line for several years just to get the chance at one. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #35
Vic Piano

I have seen photos of some of Kube's restorations, and I will say that they are beautiful. And, I'm sure that he restored them to a much higher standard than Ford achieved on the assembly line. I can not attest to the drivability of any of them because I've never had the opportunity to drive one. I don't recall anyone ever posting anything, good, bad or indifferent (here on the FordBarn) about a Kube restored car that they bought, except for one example. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a guy (a well known automobile collector, whose name I can't recall at the moment) that bought a '40 Convertible that Kube had restored. As the story went (again, as I recall), the guy wanted to drive the car in the Great American Race so, he had the Flathead removed and replaced with another one that may have been 'heated up' a bit. I don't recall a particular reason given for the swap. I give Kube a lot of credit, he's passionate, almost to a fault, about his restorations but, I think it would be nice to hear some feedback, testimonials or otherwise, from someone other than Kube himself. Are their any 'Kube restored' car owners out there?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #36
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I have seen photos of some of Kube's restorations, and I will say that they are beautiful. And, I'm sure that he restored them to a much higher standard than Ford achieved on the assembly line. I can not attest to the drivability of any of them because I've never had the opportunity to drive one. I don't recall anyone ever posting anything, good, bad or indifferent (here on the FordBarn) about a Kube restored car that they bought, except for one example. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a guy (a well known automobile collector, whose name I can't recall at the moment) that bought a '40 Convertible that Kube had restored. As the story went (again, as I recall), the guy wanted to drive the car in the Great American Race so, he had the Flathead removed and replaced with another one that may have been 'heated up' a bit. I don't recall a particular reason given for the swap. I give Kube a lot of credit, he's passionate, almost to a fault, about his restorations but, I think it would be nice to hear some feedback, testimonials or otherwise, from someone other than Kube himself. Are their any 'Kube restored' car owners out there?
Vic, I doubt my clients have the time nor the interest to bother with the Barn, etc to offer you a testimony. Most are too busy running corporations and the like.
You need a testimony? I have never advertised my services and yet am booked solid through at least 2019.
Need an even better testimony? Get on my schedule for a restoration starting in 2019 - 2020. Then, for once, you'll not only have a beautifully restored vehicle, but one that didn't have to be placed on a trailer.

Rest assured, my projects perform every bit as well as they appear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRAILER QUEEN.JPG (180.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #37
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
My "hacks"? Exactly what do you mean by "hack"?
Maybe he was using the term in reference to a Depot Hack, or Hackney, terms for old carriages.
Or its also possibly he is speaking of something he has no personal knowledge of.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #38
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Vic, I doubt my clients have the time nor the interest to bother with the Barn, etc to offer you a testimony. Most are too busy running corporations and the like.
You need a testimony? I have never advertised my services and yet am booked solid through at least 2019.
Need an even better testimony? Get on my schedule for a restoration starting in 2019 - 2020. Then, for once, you'll not only have a beautifully restored vehicle, but one that didn't have to be placed on a trailer.

Rest assured, my projects perform every bit as well as they appear.
Kube, that's funny, I own and run two media corporations, yet I still have time to visit hobby sites like the FordBarn, maybe I'm better at multitasking... LOL While I appreciate your offer, I'm not interested in what I consider over restored cars. Yes, occasionally I require the use of a trailer for my vehicles, if and when something goes awry... In the case of the '51 F-1, the bolt that holds the fan and generator assemblies to the intake manifold, snapped off when we attempted to snug it up... Something no one, not even you, could have anticipated. The good thing was, it happened at the exit for Garlits Museum, and Don and his crew were nice enough to let me leave the truck there for the weekend. By the way, what exactly was the deal with the guy who pulled the Flathead out of the '40 you restored?

Oh, I almost forgot to ask, if your clients are so high on the hog, what are you doing wallowing in the squalor with the likes of us FordBarner's? I'm sure we'd all like to know.

Last edited by Vic Piano; 03-25-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #39
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H in Wheaton View Post
Maybe he was using the term in reference to a Depot Hack, or Hackney, terms for old carriages.
Or its also possibly he is speaking of something he has no personal knowledge of.
I'm sure you're kidding, pulling my chain. That's funny.

Edit, because I got an anonymous pm... My use of the term 'hack', because I grew up in a family that lovingly used the term in reference to the family 'hacks' that served us well, and took us on many happy and memorable adventures. Apology to those who have another interpretation. Scott has the appropriate definition, with which I have taken some 'liberty'.
My earliest memory of the term hack... early 1940's, applied to our 37 Plymouth, and a 41 Olds, both of which took us to many wonderful places. I referenced both these vehicles in another recent thread, which had to do with titles.

Last edited by bobH; 03-26-2015 at 05:38 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #40
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
I'm sure you're kidding, pulling my chain. That's funny.
I think this whole damn thread is funny! A bunch of old farts pissing in the wind thinking they can change someone's mind over the iNtERweBz about an engine additive LOL