Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Newc

Default Value? 40-41 trk block trapizoid holes

Hi all; I found a once rebuilt truck [95hp 40-41] block, it's .020 over and still has the studs in it, so it is not tested. My $100 offer was refused, but the disassembly and testing is worth another $200 or so. It seems that a deal would have to require the block to pass testing? Thanks for your thoughts. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Value? 40-41 trk block trapizoid holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Hi all; I found a once rebuilt truck [95hp 40-41] block, it's .020 over and still has the studs in it, so it is not tested. My $100 offer was refused, but the disassembly and testing is worth another $200 or so. It seems that a deal would have to require the block to pass testing? Thanks for your thoughts. Newc
If a block has been fully disassembled, hot tanked and magged - I'd expect to pay between $300 and $500. Additionally, If it has been baked, shot cleaned, all the studs taken out, etc . . . probably another $300 - 400.

You can easily have $1000 in a block that has had all the above work done and maybe throw in sonic testing as well. Lots of work that takes time . . .

D
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
bobH

Based on my last bad experience, I would add pressure test to what's listed. D is correct, I had 1000 in my last bad block with no pressure test. That block went to the scrap man. My top $ for an unknown is 100, but I'd prefer to find one for more $, WITH a pedigree. I found one a few weeks ago on CL, $100, and it came with an 8BA truck bellhousing. And, it wasn't stuck. I was hoping for a Merc crank, but no luck there. It has one bad crack, but fixable. I'll have 100 worth of parts out of it.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Binx

Newc, You can raise your price to your comfortable amount if the seller will guarantee you money back if it fails inspection. Without the inspection and a bad block, internal parts may be worth $150-200 if you're persistent at selling them.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The blocks of that era all had trapezoid holes whether 85 HP or 95HP but the 95 HP has round holes in the center of the deck where the 85 HP 221 cid were still trapezoid. You may aready be aware of this so disrequard if so.

The 99A thru 29A blocks are worth more than the average due to the thickness of the cylinder walls and fetch more money if usable. I myself would pay more for one in usable condition. They are the best blocks for big bore set ups. The key word is USABLE. I would want a guarantee but I would also expect to pay more. One of these 239 blocks could fetch well north of $500 if determined to be usable.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
Newc

Excellent fellows; I'll try to make a deal dependent on it passing! Thanks to all, Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote