Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Redbird

Default 31 A history

My car was sold new to a Ms. Claire Doret on June 31st, 1931. The original finance agreement was with Adams-Figueroa Investment Co, Inc. on South Figueroa St. in Los Angeles, CA. The engine number is 4210990. Is this the serial number or the number of the car to come off the assembly line? This has been a California car since new. Was there a Ford plant in CA. at the time where it would have been built?

John
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Russell in Tulsa

Default Re: 31 A history

John, *A4210990* would be the correct way it would appear on the engine and hopefully the chassis also. Check your title for the number also. I think there was a plant there also. Check Plucks site.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
My car was sold new to a Ms. Claire Doret on June 31st, 1931. The original finance agreement was with Adams-Figueroa Investment Co, Inc. on South Figueroa St. in Los Angeles, CA. The engine number is 4210990. Is this the serial number or the number of the car to come off the assembly line? This has been a California car since new. Was there a Ford plant in CA. at the time where it would have been built?

John
Redbird looks like your nice looking car was born around December 1930 was engine stamped time frame. Like your car. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

John,

If in fact A4210990 is the correct engine/frame number on your car, then the engine was stamped in Dearborn on December 9, 1930.

It was then shipped, by boat, along with all sorts of other Model A parts to the Long Beach, CA FORD Asembly Plant, which replaced the Los Angles plant in April of 1930.

I was then assembled into your car sometime after arrival...more then likely about 3-4 weeks later, maybe more up to about 3 months or so.

This is not the number of car to come off the assembly line. What is the Assembly Plant code and number on your car? If you do not know where to look, go to my website, www.plucks329s.org then go to Additional Studies, then go to Letters, Numbers and Codes...there you will see how to find it.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
bobH

According to a couple references I found with a google, Ford was in LA for the T, 1914-1928.
Then, Terminal Island, Long Beach, 1930-1957.
Then, Pico Riveria, 1957-1980.
Another plant in Richmond, 1930-1956.
Dates are a little iffy, not consistant on the sites I looked at.
Also note, the bridge, only way to Terminal Island, was called Henry Ford Bridge.
Take with a grain of salt, not convincing references.
JMO
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Redbird

Can someone post a picture of the frame rail where the assembly plant code is? Do I need to take the seat out to find it?
John
Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

If you sit with your feet straight down, you should find the body plant code and number right about where your left foot heal sets. I just lift up my floor mat and can see the "TC476". TC means it was built in the Twin Cities. 476 must mean it was the 476th Phaeton built in 1928 at that plant.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #8
Redbird

Thank you Tom. I will look later.
John

Hard to read but here is what I have found. Block #A4210990 and the stamp on the frame is
#17320 4 31.

Last edited by Redbird; 03-11-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added sentence corrected vin
Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #9
kelley's restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
Thank you Tom. I will look later.
John
you wont see it with the splash apron and body on
tk
Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
Brian SATX

You cna seethe body stamp but you cannot see the frame number.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #11
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
John,

If in fact A4210990 is the correct engine/frame number on your car, then the engine was stamped in Dearborn on December 9, 1930.

It was then shipped, by boat, along with all sorts of other Model A parts to the Long Beach, CA FORD Asembly Plant, which replaced the Los Angles plant in April of 1930.

I was then assembled into your car sometime after arrival...more then likely about 3-4 weeks later, maybe more up to about 3 months or so.

This is not the number of car to come off the assembly line. What is the Assembly Plant code and number on your car? If you do not know where to look, go to my website, www.plucks329s.org then go to Additional Studies, then go to Letters, Numbers and Codes...there you will see how to find it.

Pluck
By boat? the St. Lawrence Seaway was not built then, I'm just curious what route it took to get from Detroit to California.....it must have travelled up to Lake Superior to a company rail depot, maybe?

I know the Company was obsessed about third parties, of any sort, making excessive profits off of trading with them, be it railroads, parts manufacturers, etc.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

Sounds like you know alot more history of your car than most. I know who owned mine from 1929-1934, but no info on it from 1934-1954. Since I do not have the original chassis, I have no numbers to take to the state archives and research. Finding documents with those numbers would be a God send. Rod
Old 03-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #13
Redbird

Verified block and number on frame. See above. What do they mean?
Old 03-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
Rowdy
BANNED

Meaning it does not have its original chassis. It was a body only when I bought it. Found a 29 fordor chassis with matching numbers and am using it. The fordor was titled using the Briggs body tag instead of the engine/chassis number so the numbers had never been used. Applied for and received a bonded title. As for knowing who first owned it when new look at my picture album. It was a local car so not hard to find out alot of info. Rod