Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
fourfords

Default 1933 Rear Seat Ash Tray(s)

Is it true that on some 1933 Sedans, in addition to a rear seat Ash Tray on the passenger side, some cars had one one the driver's side too?
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 1933 Rear Seat Ash Tray(s)

According to the 33-34 restoration book the ash tray in question is a Ford approved accessory in both 33 and 34. For the two years the ash trays are different design. I would assume you could have one or two in the rear seat area for all the body styles with rear seats.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
DavidG

The deluxe Fordor and Tudor and the Victoria all had ash trays on both sides of the rear compartment as standard equipment. Those ash trays were also available as dealer-installed options on standard versions of the sedans (or any other body type given that they were dealer installed). The '33 rear compartment ash trays were a direct carryover from the '32s and the '34 was an entirely different design. Whereas '34 ash trays turn up with some frequency, the '32-'33 version has become scare and they're usually priced accordingly when encountered for sale.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
fourfords

Hi David, Thank you for your information. Before I install a rear seat ash tray, I was wondering how you know there were two rear seat ash trays on all the deluxe models you cite? Thank yooooou!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #5
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
Hi David, Thank you for your information. Before I install a rear seat ash tray, I was wondering how you know there were two rear seat ash trays on all the deluxe models you cite? Thank yooooou!
Normally I'd say, you gotta be kidding. However, maybe you do not know David. If you were in the V8 club, or, if you followed happenings here for awhile, you would likely come to realize David is THE authority. He has access to mucho documentation from FMC, and lived with stuff 'forever'. Just my opinion, and trying to help you out. I'd usually be willing to bet the bank on what info he has.

Last edited by bobH; 03-06-2015 at 06:48 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfords View Post
Is it true that on some 1933 Sedans, in addition to a rear seat Ash Tray on the passenger side, some cars had one one the driver's side too?
Here is a factory photo of the location for the deluxe 4dr drivers side.The pass side was just the opposite.Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 4 dr ashtray location 2.jpg (59.1 KB, 81 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
fourfords

Hi Bob,

I mean't no disrespect. I don't know David. I was just casually wondering how he knows- for my own knowledge of my vehicle. You gave him quite an endorsement. He's fortunate to have friends like you.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
DavidG

BobH,

Thanks for your extremely generous compliment.

fourfords,

Yours is a fair question.

I had the privilege to spend nearly all of my business career with Ford Motor Company in positions that permitted access to a lot of the Company's product and other history. Being of curious bent, I took advantage of that access whenever possible, which was often, both in the U.S. and abroad as more than half of that career was spent outside the U.S.

I've been in the hobby for 60 years and have owned far more than my fair share of cars and commercial vehicles of the early V8 era. My first car was a $50 '32 five-window coupe (a long time ago) and '32s have been a large part of my research and restoration activities, but only part of those activities. In the case in hand, I've owned eight '33 and when I own a car I like to find out as much as I can about it in terms of it "as built". There's quite a bit of information in the public domain available to those interested and organizations such as the Early Ford V8 Club of America have as founding principles the dissemination of accurate information about the vehicles in the periods of their coverage. I have contributed to the effort as have many other conscientious hobbyists.

The George DeAngelis/Ed Francis book, The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It, is a good example of what is available in the public domain. Both George and Ed have passed now, but they also spend their careers with Ford and had both the interest and access to the Company's historical product records in the form of engineering drawings (blueprints) and engineering release forms and shared that information with us for the 1932 through 1938 models. The photo above provided by deuce lover is one of many covering the '33-'34 model years in that book.

But to cut this short, the definitive answer to your question is that the Ford engineering release form for the use of rear compartment ash trays in '33 model body types, specifies two each for the deluxe Fordor, Tudor, and Victoria. I had occasion to verify that recently by reading a copy of that form. The part numbers were B-38502 for the mounting plate and B-38500 for the receptacle itself that attached to the mounting plate.

In fairness, however, your question raises another which is the timing of the release of the '34 model ash tray (40-18950); was it released for the beginning of the '34 model year or possibly as a running change late in the '33 model year? I'll have to research that one as the combined '33-'34 body parts catalogue lists the '34 ash tray for both '33 and '34 models. 1933 body parts catalogues are extremely rare and it would be interesting to see what one of those lists for the part number of the rear compartment ash tray. The definitive answer lies in the engineering records and I'm away from access to those for the winter. I'll have check when I'm back up north.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Kahuna

I'd really like to know what an original 32 ash tray looked like. Anyone have a good picture?
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
fourfords

Here's the 1932-33 Rear Seat Ash Tray I'm inquiring about. The last photo is upside down (For the Australia/New Zealand contingent)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933 ford ash tray 001.jpg (38.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 ford ash tray 002.jpg (37.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 ford ash tray 003.jpg (34.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1933 ford ash tray 004.jpg (23.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
Ric Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
I'd really like to know what an original 32 ash tray looked like. Anyone have a good picture?
… This is a good opportunity; I think this is 1932 Sedan Ashtray?
Thanks, Ric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 Sedan ashtray 0b 700p .jpg (48.9 KB, 7 views)
Ric Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:06 AM   #12
DavidG

Not '32 for sure. The one shown several notches above is a restored version of the original. The photo below is of a un-restored version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 047.jpg (47.1 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:50 AM   #13
Kahuna

Thanks for the pic, 4fords. I've never seen on before
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 AM   #14
Ric Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Not '32 for sure. The one shown several notches above is a restored version of the original. The photo below is of a un-restored version

Sorry; While I was submitting the photo, member ‘fourfords’ submitted his excellent photos.
Ric Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #15
CC33

My '33 Deluxe only had one, as pictured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.jpg (54.5 KB, 48 views)
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #16
deuce_roadster

CC33, Maybe when the new upholstery was installed there was only 1 good one so they pitched the rotted out one with the intension of finding another good one and installing it later..
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
Bored&Stroked

Since we're on the subject of ash trays, my first 34 was a fourdoor deluxe and it had dual ashtrays in the back. Now that you have me thinking, I think I even have them around someplace!

Question: My 32 Cabriolet has dual ashtrays in front - like the restored ones shown - was that correct for a Cabriolet?

Thanks
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #18
deuce lover

B&S,To answer your question,yes that is correct
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
B&S,To answer your question,yes that is correct
Thanks! Much appreciate it!

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #20
Doug 845

I am curious about the contradiction about the number of rear ashtrays. My
original '33 has only one on the passenger side as well - just like CC33. I know DavidG pointed out (based upon a "Ford" release) that two were installed. According to the "1933-1934 Ford Restoration Manual" by Cliff Helling, only one rear seat ashtray was installed on Deluxe closed sedans and Victoria models. Please see page 5-19, page 6-5, & page 6-23 of the manual as proof. If my car entered a AACA car show, I wonder how it would be judged with only one rear seat ashtray? Correct or Incorrect? I don't know at this point.
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote