Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
farmerdick

Default Radius Rod Loose/Rear Brake Drum

Hey Guys, I just discovered the Left/Rear radius rod bolts are very loose at the backing plate. I can`t tell if they have elongated the backing plate holes(which is where I assume the bolts go through) and if not what would I need to replace in any case. Where can I purchase new radius rods if they are available? Secondly, can any drum puller be used to pull the rear brake drum, or does the Model A require a special puller?

Thanks
Richard/Maine
farmerdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
JBill

Default Re: Radius Rod Loose/Rear Brake Drum

It depends. Sometimes the rear drums come right off, other times you don't think they ever will, not with ANY kind of puller. Start with a simple three arm puller. You can always graduate to tougher measures. Whatever method or tool you use, leave the nut on the threads a little so the drum doesn't come flying off and do you damage.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

your bolt qquestion don't know. Brake drum try backing off wedge ajuster on back of backing plate, then take a hammer and hit the drum the drecsion that it comes off. You mit get luck and it come off without a puller
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
pat in Santa Cruz

the bolts that hold the radius rods to the backing plate fit through a sheet metal grease shield. The holes in this get worn through. Then the nuts will bottom out on the shoulder of the bolt before thoroughly clamping the backing plate and radius arms. If everything else is not too worn, replacing the grease shield will provide enough shim the allow the nuts to be tightened. However, by now the nuts are probably worn down too and it is possible the backing plate and radius arms will show wear. You will have to inspect them after disassembling to determine if they can be re used.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
CarlG

I've seen flat washers under the head of the bolt in order to prevent the nut from bottoming out before tightening things up. The cotter pin will keep the nut from loosening. If the nuts and / or bolts are worn, the vendors have replacements that work quite well.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Originally the bolts had a slight interference fit in the radius rods and axle housings. Obviously loose is not good. If the radius rod is wallowed out I suspect you will be fine replacing just that and the bolts. Many Model A folks have spare parts so you may find one in your area. If not, try Bert's in Denver as they also stock many original parts.

BTW, the brake housing (backing plate) was also snug on the bolts but additionally was snugly centered on a lip machined on the end of the axle housing