Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Roadster62

Default Late 1931 Indented Firewall

I may get a chance to pick up an indented 1931 firewall, do they hold more interest than a normal 30-31 firewall? Do people "Upgrade" '30's and early '31's? Thanks. Bob
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Late 1931 Indented Firewall

Most that I know that have them, myself included would prefer have the flat firewall . Its a real pia having to get out and raise the hood to cut off the gas Sometimes people ask questions when they se me raising the hood, thinking that I have mechanical problems.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
mshmodela

I own a late 31' and I like the fact that the steering column is not supported by the fuel tank, and there are no gas lines or valves in the cab. Yes I have to raise the hood but it also causes the owner to give the engine a quick look... Think of a pilot of a aeroplane.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Two good points just mentioned. I also like the valve inside, where it's easy to turn off, but the steering clamp on the dash instead of the tank is a better idea.

I see no added value to the indented firewall, and am glad my 31 Town Sedan is a flat firewall.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
CarlG

I put an electric fuel shut off on mine. Works with the ignition switch. Turn the engine off, the fuel is shut off automatically. Problem solved.

I know, I know, just one more gadget for something to go wrong with.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

The later 31 steering column support clamp can be fitted to most model A's . I installed one on my roadster to take the strain off the tank.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 AM   #7
Dave Mellor NJ

Most of the time when you see one it's because someone got tired of doing all that hood lifting and gas shutting. It's also much harder to restore a car with all the late features.
If you add the column hanger from the dashrail it's recommended to remove the tank hanger,don't use both of them.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 AM   #8
DougVieyra

Over the last 50 years, I have owned and driven as daily drivers, about 12 different Model A Fords. All had the flat firewall and the gas shut-off valve on the inside. And yes, a couple of them had a gas valve that did have an occasional drip of gasoline. Fortunately for me, in all those cars I never had any issues with the steering column bracket causing any problems.

Last year I bought my first 'fully restored' (by someone else) Model A. It was a car that had all the special (and un-special) features that I was looking for in a car, without the work and time and money, to restore it myself. However, it was a 'late' '31 and had the indented firewall with the gas shut-off in the engine compartment. So I had a new learning experience. After having had a year's worth of driving experience to compare it to my more familiar shut-off in the driver's compartment, I would have to say that I MUCH prefer that the gas shut-off valve be on the inside !

Besides the extra amount of hassle turning the valve on and off, everything about the late '31 fuel system (except the steering column support) is 'out of step' with the over-whelming numbers of cars with the inside shut-off. From fuel lines, to carburetor, to special side filter, gas tank - all are unique and more difficult to get parts for. I like the '28 - mid '31 cars best; and most A driver's I know try to avoid the late '31.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
flatford39

Keep in mind that you need to change out the gas tank to match the indented firewall. They are different.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

In my opinion there is no advantage in changing the fire wall and gas tank to a late 31. A lot of work for nothing. I have heard of no one here ever changing one for the other.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Me either, Mike. I would think that if anybody wanted to change firewalls, they would change to the earlier flat firewall.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
mrraford

Wow! I was not aware that folks had those feelings about the indented firewalls. What should I do with my 68c?
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
...most A driver's I know try to avoid the late '31.
I must be the only odd-ball in the group. I looked ONLY for the "late '31" with the indented firewall when I was searching for my vehicle.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
mshmodela

CarlG,

If I owned a 28-mid 31' I too would keep it as is firewall . I was totally ignorant if the late 31' differences when I got my car in March and am happy by chance I own a late 31' for the safety reasons I stated above. Now mind you no Model is very safe compared to a 2014 car.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
DougVieyra

mrraford -
Sell it to me ! Like my own late '31, for your car - a slant window cabriolet - I will put up with the hassle. Like the late '31 I purchased a year ago, there were an over-whelming amount of desirable features about the car that caused me to accept 'the bad with the good'. And I have now installed an auxiliary shut-off inside the car.

CarlG -
Of Course, you are an odd-ball - look where you live ! And remember Carl, 'most' CAN mean 51%. That still leaves 49% of ALMOST normal ! And I am delighted that there are people like you, otherwise there would be less of a market for the late '31 ! And it takes the market place to keep these cars ALIVE AND WELL as an important inter-active living-history of Americana.

And on a strictly manufacturing history note : The 'late '31 Model A Fords, had both pluses and minuses. On the one hand, the individual component parts became cheaper, as a necessary financial move to stay afloat of the ever deepening Great Depression. On the other hand, just like the Model T that proceeded it, Henry Ford kept an on-going emphasis on constant improvement to the car, based on feed back from dealers and others in the field. So in the late '31 you had the pinnacle of the 'NEW FORD' - all of it's 'growing pains' had been pretty much resolved, and the late '31 had all the improvements that FORD had learned through 3 and half years of 'field trials'.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 07-16-2014 at 11:42 AM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
ctlikon0712

Mine also is a late 31 and have never known another A. I guess ignorance is bliss. With that said, I don't often see late 31's and when I do it makes the car that much more special to me. I like them.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
Michael M

I haven't owned anything else but a '31 with an indented firewall. Lifting the hood to shut off the gas is the only thing I know and I don't view it as hassle. In fact, it ensures that I'm viewing what's going on under the hood every time I'm shutting it down for the day.

(I don't shut off the gas valve for short stops; only when parking for an extended period.)
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraford View Post
Wow! I was not aware that folks had those feelings about the indented firewalls. What should I do with my 68c?
Nothing!!! Changing the original features would lower the value. Its just a pain having to open the hood to cut off the gas and no I don't do it every time. Though I prefer the earlier design, the indented firewall is probably less common than the earlier design. There were two variations with the indented firewall cars. Some were smoothly finished in the indented area while others looked like a homemade backyard job and was very roughly finished. I'm not sure which came first , I've had both. My present 31 tudor was the rough style, I smoothed it up. This may have lowered the value, I'm not sure which is the rairest
Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I have several Model A's and only one with the indented firewall. It is unique but if I had my choice it would be flat.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #20
midgetracer

I have a late 31 roadster with an indented firewall, and I love the auxiliary gas shut off that I finally installed. I also think it would be less than smart to change a firewall to get a flat or indented one. It would be a lot of work and only devalue the car.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote