Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
RMR&C

Default Mallory dual point on an 8ba

Are any of you folks running a Mallory dual point distributor on a late flathead? Are you happy with the way it works? Just looking for some feedback.....
Truck is 52 F-1 with stock V8, 6 volt....dual point on a fresh rebuild. Engine runs good, been broken in but never driven.

I recently read somewhere (maybe here) that these distributors do not have the correct advance curve right out of the box...and must be recurved? Anybody shed any light on this? I haven't been able to drive it yet, but will as soon as winter ends. Thanks in advance.
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Mallory dual point on an 8ba

First, if the engine has never been placed under a load it is not "broken in".

Regarding the Mallory dual point, the problem I saw, on the one I used, was the tension springs were too robust and the advance came in much too slow(late). So, I would say yes, the curve was not right.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
32phil

I have almost 3k on the one in my Roadster and the car runs well. Only problem I had was at about 800 miles the condenser went bad. Took me 2 days to figure it out.
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
pauldeborr

I've been running one for about 1000 miles now and I still can't get it quite right, I've replaced the condenser but still has a miss at speed sometimes. Feels like it wants to die but dosen't. Idles great and runs great in the driveway but still just not quite right.
pauldeborr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Ronnie

Bubba should chime in here as to the curves and rate of advance.

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
paul2748

I got one on mine (EAB) and it seems to run ok.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Mike51Merc

The condensers they sell with the unit have a very bad reputation. The points that Mallory sells are not so great either. Look at the alignment of the contacts. I found it was impossible to align them so I replaced them with Eichlin points (#CS 2300) from NAPA.

Mallory says they're curved for the flathead, but if you want to change the curve you need to buy an extra kit with new springs. Unless you have a distributor machine, recurving takes a ton of trial and error.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Wingfield

I've got two. The one I installed in my 41 pickup with a 8BA was set up right and has worked great for the last eight years.
The other I have on the 8BA in my T had to be recurved.
Both were older used unit when I got them.
Paul
Wingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
BUBBAS IGNITION

Guys there are two mallorys :
1= The older units made in the sixtys etc. These are absolutly great !!! The advance is pretty specific and hardly ever need any more than just a good cleaning with some lube etc.

2=The new series , new and shiney , thinner anodized parts etc. The curve for some reason is never right for these units. I did three last week out of the box and two of them had no advance until 1800-2000 rpm. Hesitation would be the understatement...

Both of these units are VERY adjustable with bendable spring mounting tabs and very seldom do we need new springs etc. Thee is a low speed ( thin) spring and a high speed spring (thicker).
The maximum advance also is adjusted with a allen wrench as well.

The condensors are poor quality and i have Vertex mag condensors at .40mfds ( stops the arching) for $ 20 that fixes the issue . Quality pays off here for sure ...

I charge $ 48 to spin, adjust and recurve as needed ( cleaning as well on dirty units).. Free shipping to Ford Barners and Hambers.
I try to return the recurves the same day i get them....
Kinda my Barn/Hamb special.........
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Deuce Man

Be sure you have a balast resistor before the coil. ran my mallory (6 Volt) without a resistor condensor lasted about 500 miles. Put in a resistorr the one mallory suggested then car wouldnt start unless I jumped resistor. Got a 6 volt vw relay this jumps resistor while cranking conndensor has been in for about 1500 miles. Has run good till the other night feels like the condensor is about to go again. found an old mallory two piece cap chev distributor with a mechanical tach drive. Guess who I sent it to? You guessed it Bubba.
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Deuce Man

Now if bubba could just add a vacuum advance from an old chevy points distributor we would really have a hot setup.Think I will call him tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
RMR&C

Thanks for the info....I was wondering if I needed a ballast resistor. Mine is the newer type, so I guess I will be pulling it out and having it worked over.
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
proxie35

I've had a dual point Mallory on my 50 Coupe for the past 13 years with no problem. Have one on the Crestliner I'm building & it worked great, out of the box. Sherrel
proxie35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Straightpipes

Thanks to Bubba for setting up mine. I was pretty disappointed with it until he fixed me up. My other 8BA flathead has a Chevy conversion distributor that he builds. Works great!!
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Deuce Man

Runs great is a relative term. Just like how's it ride? Answer should be compared to what? Sometimes we get used to a situation and accept it as great till we drive someone else's car or make a change to our own. I have a 50 Merc motor in my 32 came out of a restored Merc a fellow in town did over,He thought it ran great , Had a fortune into the motor, Had two stromberg 97's witn the stock ford distributor .Distributor was plumbed to manifold vacuum. this doesnt work. I cut down a chevy points distributor Eureka! Incredible difference.Tried a new mallory dualpoint Not quite as good as the chev with the vacuum advance. The new mallorys are kind of cheesy not nearly as nice as the old ones.Got bubba working on a new setup, real fun in these projects is constantly refining them and getting them to always run a little better. Kind of like the old days when we played with our cars every saturday afternoon in preraration for whoever might challenge us on saturday night!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
pauldeborr

Can a mallory dual point be run with just one set of points installed in it? Is there a major advantage to having a dual point set up?
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #17
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldeborr View Post
Can a mallory dual point be run with just one set of points installed in it? Is there a major advantage to having a dual point set up?
Sure , some of the Mallorys use a single set of contacts.
The only reason for the dual points is to increase the coil saturation at higher rpm. ( more than likely not needed on a flathead with a lower rpm band)
In a dual point one set "makes" the circuit and the other set brakes the circuit. The break set burns up quicker . A dual point unit runs a little longer dwell( coil saturation time) as well.
Probably the best way to handle it is to install a pertronixs electronic ,module and curve the unit for the flathead and have the best of all worlds....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #18
pauldeborr

Just wanted to put a quick plug in for Bubbas Ignition...I just got my Dizzy back and installed it in the truck and it runs perfect. Thanks for all the help and quick service.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #19
snakes1949

Where is bubba ignition. Thanks
snakes1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #20
PhoenixFear

I was thinking of getting a Mallory for my engine since I want to run dual 94s but I really just want something more reliable and user friendly. I wanted to run a Pertronix setup but not sure if it will work with dual carbs.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote