Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Solo_909

Default 35 coupe lubricant?

Hey guys,

Just curious on what motor oil and rear end gear oil I should use? It's all stock running gear.

Thanks,
George
Solo_909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
GB SISSON

Default Re: 35 coupe lubricant?

Recent engine rebuild?, Old survivor? As admiral Yamamoto said after the attack on Pearl Harbor " I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant". The 'what to use for motor oil' thing can be a long suffering situation. Keep some zinc in the equation.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
alanwoodieman

I use 20w50 Kendal Oil, according to there engineer it has Zinc in it and was designed for severe use--such as racing and our old flatheads--that run hot all the time.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
Solo_909

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Recent engine rebuild?, Old survivor? As admiral Yamamoto said after the attack on Pearl Harbor " I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant". The 'what to use for motor oil' thing can be a long suffering situation. Keep some zinc in the equation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
I use 20w50 Kendal Oil, according to there engineer it has Zinc in it and was designed for severe use--such as racing and our old flatheads--that run hot all the time.

Not sure if it's been rebuilt or not so I'd go with old surviver. Awesome thanks! What should I use for the rear end?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #5
Talkwrench

Yes just go with a quality 20 -50wt with some zinc and frequent oil changes , just see if you can use a oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on things..
rear is 85 - 140wt .
trans is ... well don't put GL5 rated stuff in there. some like 90wt others 140wt.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 AM   #6
Solo_909

Browsing the net I found that Lucas oil has a 10-30, 10-40, & 20-50 hotrod and classic car oil with 2,100 ppm zinc. Would any of Those work?
Old 11-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You can use a modern GL5 gear lube in the rear axle. Something like 85w-120 (there are other options). The transmission is a different story. Because of the "yellow" metal parts used in transmissions (such as synchronizers) you should not use most GL5 lubes. A GL4 lube would be better. Some GL5 gear lubes claim yellow metal compatibility, but I would stick with the GL4.

If you search the Barn threads there are endless threads on oil and gear lube! And you will find just about as many recommendations as there are people posting!!!!! It is just about the same as asking what is the best color to paint my car.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Karl

To be quite honest it doesn't make a lot of difference (unless you do something really dumb) its all better than what it was in the day! For engine anything from 10-30 to 20-50 will be fine. Ford specs I believe say 5 quarts which will be above the full mark on the dipstick many people only fill to the full mark. I "over fill" - I'm not sure who is right?

Rear end and Transmission I use Penrite Transoil 140- works ok for me (so far!)

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Solo_909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
To be quite honest it doesn't make a lot of difference (unless you do something really dumb) its all better than what it was in the day! For engine anything from 10-30 to 20-50 will be fine. Ford specs I believe say 5 quarts which will be above the full mark on the dipstick many people only fill to the full mark. I "over fill" - I'm not sure who is right?

Rear end and Transmission I use Penrite Transoil 140- works ok for me (so far!)

Karl

Thanks, well the 5qt is of you have an oil filter. If not it's only 4qts
Old 11-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_909 View Post
Thanks, well the 5qt is of you have an oil filter. If not it's only 4qts
That is NOT correct! It is 5 qts period. This has also been gone over many time in previous threads if you are interested in reading up on it.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The old bypass filter fills during operation and empties back into the sump while static. Modern screw on filters don't so you just fill the sump the same whether it has a filter or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #12
Solo_909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That is NOT correct! It is 5 qts period. This has also been gone over many time in previous threads if you are interested in reading up on it.
Okay so I did the 5qt as you mentioned and it's about a 1/4th past the full mark. I'm a little nervous about that.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone. Hey Solo, please don't worry about what seems to be overfilled oil.

There are a whole bunch of possible explanations, popular ones are sludge in the engine taking up volume making it high, and missing felt and or cap on dipstick making it ride low. Those are just two.

My two cents is don't worry, whatever high level is in there (if there really is any) will be gone soon enough.

Edit to add: You didn't ask about Trans fluid, for that I think the advice is to find a GL4. You can ask NAPA to find it in the Sta-Lube brand even if they seem clueless.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 11-10-2016 at 11:23 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That is where it should be. No idea why they set the dipstick up this way, but that's the way it is. If you are interested in researching the topic, there have been a number of detailed threads on this subject.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:40 AM   #15
Karl

I always put 5 quarts in and it stays in . I've seen the ford specs that say 5 quarts and thats good enough for me. However I have also seen a copy of the card that came with the car when new stating to fill to the full level on the dipstick?? Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #16
Tony, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The old bypass filter fills during operation and empties back into the sump while static. Modern screw on filters don't so you just fill the sump the same whether it has a filter or not.
To me, this would explain why the level is high when the motor isn't running. When running it fills and the level is down to where it should be.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #17
34PKUP

Quote:
Believe this to be incorrect. The bleed holes in the center stand pipe are located high up on the pipe and will not allow the filter chamber to fully drain.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #18
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34PKUP View Post
Believe this to be incorrect. The bleed holes in the center stand pipe are located high up on the pipe and will not allow the filter chamber to fully drain.
My observation of an 8BA filter shows that the location of the oil return holes in the standpipe will not allow the oil to drain from the filter when static.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 11-11-2016 at 07:21 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #19
Solo_909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That is where it should be. No idea why they set the dipstick up this way, but that's the way it is. If you are interested in researching the topic, there have been a number of detailed threads on this subject.

Yes I've done my research and it seems that everyone has a different opinion. Some lame the error or the printing company for the wrong info on the manual. Some blame the dip stick is wrong, some say 4qts some say 5qts. From what I've seen there is no 100% truth with this matter.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #20
Solo_909

Another question,

How much quarts does the rear end hold? Someone was saying that there may be a tube that runs from the trans to the rear end and they share the same oil? I'm confused lol