Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
CP

Default welding front crossmember

the crossmember on brother mikes truck frame was cracked and broken into 3 pcs. thay stayed together enough to tack back together and ill finish welding (once i get more wire). My question is....what should i do so this does not crack again...i'm confident that the cracks will be completely welded and ill need to grind some of the weld to allow the spring to fit back in nice. should i add a plate to the sides or anything to keep this from happening again or will it be ok for another 70 years. When i'm done, it will look as original but is that not good enough?

thanks again. CP

while im at it...we need to replace the bent axle and he has one. Can we re-use all the parts (kingpins and shock bolts) or do we need to buy new parts. I'm sure we'll figure it out when we dissaaaemble the axle but it would be nice to have new parts on hand to make the switch go a little faster. This is both our first go at a front axle so we don't know what to look out for. Any heads up would me much appreciated.
CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Barry WNY

Default Re: welding front crossmember

I am of the belief, after working on & owning big trucks, loose ubolts cause breakage. My model A crossmember was cracked a lot, I modified it & welded it. It's fine after several years, I kept tweaking the bolts regularly until they wouldn't go anymore
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Karl Wolf

Default Re: welding front crossmember

I would tig it, or use arc weld... I did mine with stick, 7018 rod... I don't like mig for structural stuff... Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote