Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
hb32

Default 40 brake parts specifically drums/hubs

I am converting my 32 pickup to juice brakes and have some questions regarding front brakes. I plan to keep the 32 spindles.
The rear drum I am using is conveniently off a 35 which has the provisions for the 35 wires I am using and fits with the 40 backing plate/brake assy.
Is there a drum that does the same for the front? What years can I use with the ring to support the wires? Am I better off buying aftermarket hubs and drums?
Thanks for the answers.
hb32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 40 brake parts specifically drums/hubs

The 35 brake surface is not as wide as the 40-42 hub inside the drum. You can use these drums front or rear with wires by adding either aftermarket or home made inner support rings. Can also use the 46-8 backing plates or the Lincoln style aftermarket. Take a look at MT Car products web site, they have the drums for the 40-42 style hubs.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
CSArno

I just converted a 35 to hydraulic brakes. Used the original hubs/drums for the rears.
The fronts are a whole different animal.. If you can find a good set of of 40 to 48 hubs/ drums with the drum on the outside of the hub. you can use those on the front. Chances are what you will find is the hubs will be good and the brake drums will be junk on anything used.
To save some money, I found a couple 48 merc hubs and drums and replaced the brake drums. Now these take a little work to get the old drums off the hub. If you end up finding a used set and have to replace the drums, please ask here how to do it or PM me. You can't just take a hammer and pound the studs out. You WILL damage the hub. The studs are swedged or enlarged where they go through the drum.. It's not hard to get them apart. Just takes a little knowledge.

If you end up getting new hubs and drums, I would recommend getting knurled studs that grab in the hub. This allows you to take the brake drum off without taking the hub off the spindle. The drum just slips on and off over the wheel studs.
I used brake drums and studs from Joblot Automotive in New York. Ask for James if you call. He's very helpful. Might be good to call just to get info.

You will need wire wheel adaptors to use your wires. these will prevent your wheel from cracking and falling off.. A must have item..

You may also need to use a bearing spacer inside your hub. This is a spacer that goes on the spindle to keep the hub and drum from going on too far and hitting the backing plate.
I didn't need to use them after I was told I needed them.

Have you tackled putting the backing plates on the front yet?

You can private message me if you want. I have pictures and knowledge of it fresh in my head.. Don't wait too long

If you do a search on here for brake conversion, there is a lot of info on the subject. Some opinions vary but I took what I liked and ran with it..

Chris
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Fred A

[QUOTE=Terry,OH;1061348]The 35 brake surface is not as wide as the 40-42 hub inside the drum.

'32 to '34 brake shoes are 1.5" while the '35 went to 1.75" making them the same as the '39-'48 Ford and Zephyr. As others have noted, the offset on the '35-'36 fronts can be a challenge unless you know the tricks, such as early Zephyr parts to name one remedy. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Kahuna

Get ahold of Richard Lacy (EarlyV8Garage). He sold me a set of the Lincoln type brakes that fit my 32 spindles perfectly. Couldn't be happier.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
russcc

Unless you have a big motor and want haul tail. I my opinion the stock mechanical brakes work great, especially with the after market wedges. Hydraulics, if they sit for awhile usually become a huge headache. The brake fluid attracts moisture, and that rusts up the inside of the wheel and master cylinder. My 2 cent worth.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Fred A

It is true that Hydraulic brakes take some care to avoid rust problems but the problem is somewhat overstated. I have a turkey baster that I use to suck the old fluid out of the master cylinder and refresh from time to time. If the car is left out in the weather the problem is much worse. To say that mechanical brakes work great should be followed by, when conditions are optimal and great is an opinion . Currently my Model A roadster is going with Bendix on the front and Lockheed on the rear which has proven to be a great combination while remaining simple. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
Terry,OH

Fred A is correct the 35 brake and the 40 shoes are both 1-3/4" wide
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
2935ford

Ok
To jump in here as well.
This is a similar issue I have going on with the exception mine will be mounted to a Model A rear axle.
If I understand this correctly.........35 drums/hubs/shoes work w/o any issues on the rear with 40 - 48 backing plates? In other words.....I do not need inner support rings.....etc?
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote