Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Fred A

Default Correct Oil Filter '40?

Wanting to run the correct oil filter on my '40 and seeing some variation. Many are claimed to be '40 but also look just like the one on my 59A. Many differences seem to be the location of the inlets and outs or a central hole in the head mount bracket. What is the winning combination? Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Correct Oil Filter '40?

Check the link below. Note posts #15 & 16. This is for a '40. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161369

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Wanting to run the correct oil filter on my '40 and seeing some variation. Many are claimed to be '40 but also look just like the one on my 59A. Many differences seem to be the location of the inlets and outs or a central hole in the head mount bracket. What is the winning combination? Thanks: Fred A
Fred,
One design of filter assembly (01A‑18658‑A) was offered for the 85 and 95 horsepower engines. Ford’s supplier was the Fram Corporation of Rhode Island. Normally dealers installed this assembly.
The filter housing was vertically mounted to the left cylinder head above and between the number 5 and number 6 cylinders. The fasteners consisted of three special nuts (350710‑S7). This assembly used a replaceable filter element.

Both the housing body and cover were painted gloss black. Formed into the bottom of the housing were seven ribs. The bolt (01A‑18691) that retained the steel cover had a plain finish. A copper flat washer was beneath that bolt.
A red, yellow, black, and gold decal was placed on the cover. It indicated that the filter was manufactured exclusively for Ford by the Fram Corporation and used a replacement cartridge filter (01A‑18662).

While there were two different routings of the oil return hose, there was but one routing for the pressure hose.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilfilterNOSmk.jpg (47.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
OhioRick

Fred, Once you figure out what you need, let me know as I have quite an inventory of them. Free to you. pm me.
OhioRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #5
Fred A

Got real lucky on this one. Went out in the cold night into the chicken house to look for a filter like in the pictures. Out of over ten oily candidates there is one that is a match. Not the cleanest, but has the orfice and elbow connectors. I got no great hits on the searches, most buried on the description of the factory filter scheme and plumbing upgrades and mods. The link from DD and the text book quality description from Kube made it clear. Also thanks to the generosity of OhioRick to back me up if needed. I've been posting quite a few questions and the Barn has been a huge help. Thanks: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote