Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #61
JimOH

Default Re: Goodbye Little Pepe

So sorry to hear of your loss. Pets are a part of the family as everyone knows that ever had one. Just so sad.
JimOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #62
Jay in Mass

Prof.
I'm sorry for your loss. They are without a doubt, part of the family. May God keep you strong during this time of sorrow. Jay
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #63
Drbrown

Prof .... very sad to hear your loss. What a wonderful thing to have such a loving travelling buddy. I'm sure he had many happy times with you .... he had you all to himself and that must have made him happy. You gave him a wonderful life. What better can one do.

I have an aloft but loving 14 year old cat named Isis, after the ancient goddess. Like may of the breed, she gives me attention when she's ready but that's okay with me. I often think how much I'll miss her when she has to leave.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #64
jim1932

"I don't know what I'll do now for the road trips I take while my wife is gone off for a few days." Get one of these.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3765561439_d97daa8efd_m.jpg (45.6 KB, 176 views)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #65
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts View Post
So sorry for your loss Craig.
Very sad about little Pepe. He was a cool little dog and we all enjoyed his pictures. I especially remember the one where the laptop was right in front of him and he appeared to be unconcerned about where you were going.
We'll miss him.

This one? On "The Loneliest Road in America" - Highway 50 across Nevada.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #66
jim1932

Seriously Jake and I are sorry for your loss. Been there, no fun....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7024.jpg (29.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:28 AM   #67
Ken Crans

Sorry to hear you lost your best friend, I put my little buddy JJ down a couple of weeks ago,I'm still not over it. Healing will take time. Pepe will surely be missed! Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #68
funrunr

Craig,
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of such a cherished companion. He definitely lived a good life and traveled more than most people. You treated him good and I'm confident he was aware of that.
Mark
Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #69
turnpikecrusier

Sorry for your loss. Ill pray for you.
turnpikecrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #70
oldandtired

Sorry for your loss. Your pictures bring back memories. The picture of the locomotive sure looks familiar. My wife, the dog, and I were out in Utah a few years ago.

We went 10 years between dogs for various reasons. Four years ago I decided to get another one. If he can't go on our trips, I don't go, with the exception of one swap meet last Fall and going to Pre-War in Chickasha two years ago. He passed the 40000 mile mark with us over the Christmas Holidays.

We do not travel in a vintage Ford. I own a few pickups I need to put together, and he could not get in them. He's a dainty 200 pounds. It's not good for my male ego, but I bought a minivan with the seats that fold flat into the floor just for him so he could travel with us.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #71
Old Henry

Last night Morgan and I built a very nice redwood coffin for Pepe and this redwood grave marker to mark his last spot out in the fort yard. The letters and numbers are all routed in and stained.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #72
bk53

Bye Pepe It sounds like you were a good dog.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #73
fordy_nine

I have enjoyed your travel adventures with Pepe and I am sure he enjoyed them as much as we did. I had to euthanize my 14-year old poodle last April. It takes time to recover from that loss. Dogs (and other pets) are Gods gift to humankind, His daily demonstration of perfect love.......Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #74
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Wow, I'm getting this a little late. Pepe was a star in my eyes!

I second the book idea. There's a great one in you, Prof. Henry.

Unless we make buddies with turtles or parrots we will go through this.

The decision to let our friends rest is so gut wrenching, but truly, for the best. Too hard.

Edit to add: Don't forget to watch/dvr The Puppy Bowl! It's a hoot!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 02-05-2016 at 04:52 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #75
34pickup

I hate posts like these. My heart goes out to you OldHenry. My great little buddy is in the process of undergoing chemo now and I can empathize with you on a visceral level. These pets get into our lives just like a human family member and are about as painful to let go. I hope you can deal with it as time goes by.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #76
Old Henry

Thanks again to everyone for your heartfelt responses. I appreciate it very much. It looks like my experience is quite common among all pet lovers.

AnnaRae and I are just headed on a three day road trip to Bryce Canyon National Park (supposed to get down to 2° tonight) - our first one without Pepe. He is going to be missed sitting there on AnnaRae's lap sleeping. There was always a nice soft little warm furry body to rest my hand on and stroke as I drove along. And then the warm little thing down at the bottom of the bed to keep our feet warm at night. Just thinking about it and remembering tugs at my heart strings.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #77
Matt in Alameda

Very very sorry for your loss. Mark Twain once said " I do not know where dogs go when they die, but wherever that is, it's where I want to go when I die." My feelings exactly. I saw a quote attributed to Grocho Marx that I thought was quite funny. He said " Outside of a dog, man's best friend is a book,....inside of a dog it is too dark to read."
Pepe is not replaceable, however when the time is right, you should get a rescue companion, and share your goodness and travels with him and create new memories. I am very sorry for your loss,....Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #78
RKS.PA

Craig, a while ago we found this anonymous quote that sums it up pretty well..."It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #79
koates

Craig & Family, sorry to hear of the passing of Pepe. He was a real film star and now he is a FORD BARN star. He will never be replaced but remembered every day. Maybe in time you can find another puppy friend. Kind regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #80
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
"I don't know what I'll do now for the road trips I take while my wife is gone off for a few days." Get one of these.....

And so I did. This little lady.

Meet "Lady" (Gaga or Godiva, I'm not sure which. She doesn't sing but is without clothes so most likely Godiva).

I had such withdrawal symptoms for the week since we lost Pepe that I couldn't stand it. I especially could not bear the thought of my road trip in a couple of weeks all by myself without a warm furry companion by my side.

So, we went to the pet adoption center yesterday and fell in love with this little lady. She is an even more perfect traveling companion than Pepe. On the 50 mile drive home yesterday she never flinched. No anxiety. No shivering. No panting. Just rode along peaceful and quiet.

Our road trips now will be "The Adventures of Lady and the Tramp." I figure you can guess who gets to play the role of the tramp.