Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #41
Old Henry

Default Re: Pikes Peak, Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
How about using a leaf blower and some kind of smoke source to see air flow with the hood opened or closed, hot air must be getting trapped under the hood.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it some thought.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #42
corvette8n

Here is the underhood air flow for the 1939 Ford, not sure how it compares to 47. See 3rd paragraph from Ford V-8 Album, I couldn't find any air flow information under 1947 Ford section, hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.7 KB, 21 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #43
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Here is the underhood air flow for the 1939 Ford, not sure how it compares to 47. See 3rd paragraph from Ford V-8 Album, I couldn't find any air flow information under 1947 Ford section, hope this helps.
Thanks. That appears to be the same air flow as the '47.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #44
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Your symptoms lead me to believe you may have a bad ballast resistor on the coil.
It's looking more like you're probably right.
Today I took what was supposed to be a simple easy "Three Hour Tour" up over guardsman pass at 9,737 feet. Everything went well up to the pass, over the top, and down the other side until I was headed home. Then the power loss, stumbling, stuttering engine hit me again so bad I had to pull off. To determine whether it was fuel or spark I hooked up my timing light with the sensor around the high tension wire coming out of the coil and put it on my cowl to shine through the windshield while I drove to watch what happened to the spark when the problem came. Sure enough, when the problem hit the spark was affected. So, I then ran a jumper from the battery to the coil, bypassing all circuits to there including the coil resistor that is on the coil itself. Worked fine. So, then I just put the jumper across the resistor to bypass it. Still worked fine, which seemed to be pointing to that resistor. So, then I took the jumper off to see if the problem came back. It didn't. That's the problem with those darned intermittent problems. You can't even try to figure them out until you're on the road and they hit you by surprise. Then, when you try different diagnostic tests and it looks like you've solve it because the problem went away you don't really know because the problem may have gone away without doing anything.

Anyway, I've ordered a new coil resistor in the original style from C&G and will put that on and hope it fixes it.

Thanks TJ for the tip.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #45
keith oh

Since you are using a Stromberg 97 Carb., which is very touchy about any air flow restriction, I think I would have taken the air cleaner off and seen if maybe by lifting the hood you were forcing more air into the Carb. Restricting air flow is like useing your choke thereby causing a richer mixture, not good at high altitude.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #46
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith oh View Post
Since you are using a Stromberg 97 Carb., which is very touchy about any air flow restriction, I think I would have taken the air cleaner off and seen if maybe by lifting the hood you were forcing more air into the Carb. Restricting air flow is like useing your choke thereby causing a richer mixture, not good at high altitude.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that too.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #47
Johnnydidd

I was looking at a 1948 Lincoln v12 yesterday, I noticed the fenders were louver on both sides it had maybe 2 sets on each side about 8 inches long pointed to the back maybe this means something.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #48
dude

Great thread, Thank you
Old 10-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #49
tamnalan

The Pike's Peak summit is a great place to bleed brakes, if your pedal gets a bit soft on the way up. Don't ask me how I know that.
tamnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #50
Woodie1

Loved your trip. You always have great pictures. I don't think I'd have the nerve to do that drive though.
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote