Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #21
Mark W.

Default Re: Name that car - Where did that name come from ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
Neighbor has a car named after Marquette Michigan, Marquette of which there are only two know to be in existence and he has the only one in original condition. Huge auto for the time.
You could clarify this as there were two Marquette cars - the second being one of GM's line-up of companion cars in the late 20's. I have to assume you are referring to the earlier one???

The other GM "companions" That I know off the top of my head are: Cadillac - LaSalle, Buick - Marquette, Oldsmobile - Viking, and Pontiac - Oakland. I'd bet there are others especially overseas.

As for Ford - in 1903 it was his second car venture that went bankrupt and was re-molded into Cadillac with the help of Henry Leland. Later on Leland would found his own car company only to fail shortly thereafter and have Henry Ford buy it up (some say out of spite over the founding of Cadillac) and make a good go of it. I think we know enough of Lincoln's history from that point on...

There was a lot of "cross-breading" in the early automotive field and it was very competitive between the principal personalities involved. Fascinating stuff IMHO...
Mark W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #22
Russell in Tulsa

Then there was the "Tulsa Four" a 35 HP "beast" produced in 1917. By 1921 they introduced the Tulsa Six. Only one Tulsa is known to exist and it was an oil field truck fitted to haul the drill bits used in the production of oil.

It was in the Leake Auction and I was chosen to operate it. One of the caretakers of the late local car museum owner said "anybody here drive an "A"? When I said I did he said "Get in, its' a lot like your "A" only it has no foot throttle." The gas stop, clutch, brake, gear shift, spark lever and hand throttle were all there where they "should be". I was told the car was found in a dry creek bed several counties away back in the Fifties and was complete except for the dash. They took artistic license to fabricate a dash very similar to ours.

I don't remember what it sold for and was kinda sad to see it might leave the state.

Later I was told it is still in Tulsa at the Tulsa International Airport on permanent display. Have not gone to verify.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
ctlikon0712

I am intrigued by this conversation. I don't have anything to add from my own knowledge, however I did have this web site tucked away and had to search to find it so that I could share.
Enjoy fella's,
http://www.american-automobiles.com/
Old 10-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
45GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
45GPW - you go to the head of the class - good 'digging' on your homework - or, you have one hella've memory !

Either way, it is obvious that you like to sit in the front row.
A little of both. I've been interested in cars ever since I drove the family Buick at the age of 4 (really--although I got caught before I got to the end of the driveway, so it wasn't much of a drive). Since then I've collected many books and articles on automobile history, and Google helps too.
45GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #25
Roadster62

Guess we need to start at the begining with the Duryea, built by brothers J.Frank and Charles in Springfield, Mass. Winner of the first automobile race in the USA and later winner of the very first London to Brighton run in England. Bob
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #26
Arlen

Didn't Moon and Dort both end up being owned by GM before the depression?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #27
Arlen

So how many brothers have been involved together in the industry? 1.Duryea
2.Duesenberg
3. Stanley
4. Dodge
5. Fisher
Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #28
45GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
So how many brothers have been involved together in the industry? 1.Duryea
2.Duesenberg
3. Stanley
4. Dodge
5. Fisher
Graham, Joseph, Ray and Robert (Graham and Graham-Paige)
Chevrolet, Arthur, Gaston and Louis (Frontenac)
Studebaker, Clement, Henry and John (Studebaker)
Apperson, Elmer and Edgar (Apperson and Haynes-Apperson)
Ford, Henry II, Benson and William (3rd generation of Ford)
Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #29
Dave Mellor NJ

There was a Jowett "Jupiter" ,too. Jupiter was the king of gods. Also the Dodge "Aries".
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #30
Lycoming-8

The smallish US made Crosley was named for Powell Crosley of Crosley Radio, Broadcasting, and appliance fame. He also owned the Cincinnati Reds who played in uhhh.... Crosley Field.

The car was actually built in Indiana (Richmond ?).
Lycoming-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #31
Roadster62

The Dodge Brothers made most of the mechanical parts for Ford starting in 1903, how many other people that got their start with Ford went on to build their own cars? Wills Sainte Claire, C. Harold Wills, Hupmobile, Robert Craig Hupp come to mind. Bob
Old 10-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #32
45GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
The Dodge Brothers made most of the mechanical parts for Ford starting in 1903, how many other people that got their start with Ford went on to build their own cars? Wills Sainte Claire, C. Harold Wills, Hupmobile, Robert Craig Hupp come to mind. Bob
Most of Ford's original investors--including the Dodge brothers--and some of the early employees had to go somewhere else--either elsewhere in the automobile industry, or into other fields--because Henry either bought them out or simply drove them out, except for Horace Rackham, who was bought out by Edsel Ford.

Alexander Malcomson founded Aerocar (unsuccessfully) after Ford.

William Knudsen went from Ford to Chevrolet, ultimately becoming president of GM. Later, his son Bunkie left Chevrolet for his short-lived presidency of Ford under Hank the Deuce.

The Dodge brothers were also associated with Oldsmobile, Aerocar, Graham and other early makes.