Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #81
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: High Beams stick on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
I just learned something interesting about the wiring harness that can be bought to replace mine. First, let me say emphatically that I DO intended to replace my wiring harness someday and maybe soon, just not before I leave for Alaska in 5 days. That's a no-brainer that I need to do that. What I learned, however, is that, if I had replaced the main wiring harness for under the dash to the engine compartment as several suggested, it would not have fixed this short problem that I have that turned out to be in the left headlamp bucket. The wiring harnesses do not include the headlight pigtails. I only mention this as a reminder that before we start throwing expensive high labor intensive parts at a problem it is always best to actually accurately locate the problem and diagnose it and a solution addressing that problem. I know some don't like that idea but that's how I try to do things.
Mon Dieu......Sixty-nine-year-old wiring is just that.........ALL of it. Next thing ya know, we'll be contemplating how to change only the dirty oil that's in the pan, yet NOT disturb the still-slippery oil that's in the rest of the pan. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #82
cmbrucew

Back before I retired, the shop where I worked had from four to twelve mechanics on the pay roll. Most could bolt every thing we had in stock onto a piece of equipment and consider the job done. We always had to have one man that could determine what was wrong and fix that to get the machine back on line. It takes both kinds.
Bruce
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #83
Jack E/NJ

>>>I just looked at 75 grommets of every kind that Mac's sells for all Fords and didn't see any that looked like they'd work for a hole with curved sides like mine.>>>

http://www.amazon.com/Gb-Electrical-...s=conduit+seal

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #84
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
>>>I just looked at 75 grommets of every kind that Mac's sells for all Fords and didn't see any that looked like they'd work for a hole with curved sides like mine.>>>

http://www.amazon.com/Gb-Electrical-...s=conduit+seal

Jack E/NJ
Looks like good stuff. I may get some for other uses. Thanks for the lead.

I actually won't be needing any grommets because I'm going to use the original style conduits that have fittings on each end to push into the holes in the light bucket and fender. That should set me up for life as far as headlight wiring goes.

The bottom grommet is to be used if the conduit is not used. That's how my right light was set up just with one grommet and rubber coated wire. But, I'm going to use the conduit and fittings on both sides.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-05-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote