Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Better jack?

On my road trip last weekend I had yet another flat tire that I had to change on the side of the highway. It was on the rear so my bottle jack fit under OK. The problem was that I had to squeeze under the car to place it and jack it up. Fortunately, the road was clear and dry. If it had had snow on it like some that I drove on that trip it would have been a big pain to wallow under there. On my previous road trip I had to change the front tire and my bottle jack wouldn't fit under there to lift it. Fortunately, a Good Samaritan stopped who had a screw jack with a long handle that fit under there and lifted it. I bought a scissor jack after that that is very low and fits fine. The problem with a scissor jack is that it has absolutely no power when flat or low. (I tried it last weekend and it was a total waste.)

I'm looking for the shortest screw jack with the longest handle that I can just push under the rear end to jack it up and pull it out without having to "grovel" under the car.

So far, I've found this Sterling jack but it's 7 inches tall and has only a short handle such that I'd still have to grovel under the car to use it on the rear. (At Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Ton-M...107847&sr=1-62)

Anyone know of a shorter screw jack with a longer handle and the source for it? Looks like I'm stuck changing tires on the side of the road no matter what I do. Might as well make it as easy as possible.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
super flat

Default Re: Better jack?

The scissor jacks out of the newer cars and trucks work very well. I grab them when we scrap out about 90's to present cars and trucks. The junk yard is your friend. Gary
Old 03-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
paul2748

The late model scissors jack work very nicely but have a relative short handles because they lift from the side. I'm sure you can weld something on to the handles so you can get the depth you need.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
WestCoast

scissor jack are the thing, small and lite, will easily lift almost any car, , check the mid sized cars, they usually have long handles, I buy then for $2, use them to hols up frames and axles, they don't bleed off
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
1oldtimer

I've been buying vintage scissor jacks for the cars. Hit ebay for them, they have a big foot, sturdy, compact and are heavy duty. You might need to make a handle for some if they're missing one.

1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I used as 1936 flip top jack for my 46 when i had it, the flip top iscurved to fit rear axle, fliped the flat area fits the front axle, long folding handle---no need to crawl under---kind of $$ to buy at retail, but at yard sales cheap
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
oldford2

"
"On my previous road trip I had to change the front tire and my bottle jack wouldn't fit under there to lift it. Fortunately, a Good Samaritan stopped who had a screw jack with a long handle that fit under there and lifted it."

Professor,
If you carry a 2x8x12 inches long, just place it in front of the flat and drive up on it. Should get you enough clearance. Keep things simple

Last edited by oldford2; 03-27-2016 at 08:31 PM.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
donald1950

that jack looks like the one that came out of my mid 80s toyota pick up and had about a 3 foot folding crank. it was a bit of a pain to get into place with the crank but worked well.. try some wrecking yards and you might find one cheaper. i have a jack and will look and see if i have a crank and if i do i will UPS it to you for the cost of shipping...
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
TJ

To avoid crawling around on wet or muddy pavement carry a small blue tarp in your tool box or in the tool tray of your old Ford. Open it up , slide it under the car, and now you can crawl under without getting wet or dirty. You can buy the small ones(usually 8X10) for a nominal amount of money.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
Brian

What is the original jack as supplied when new? A bumper jack? I dunno...but I always use a bumper jack in my 35, not original, but I don't need to get under the car to use.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #11
A bones

I've never considered bottle jacks (except for big trucks) as portable, due to too much weight for the need of use. As 'super flat' and paul2748 said scissor jack- from the junk yard. One that has had some use will work easier than a new one. Work at developing a leverage extender (I'm certain you could create something) for the handle. In a pinch (yes it can pinch) a large box wrench may help. Always be certain to pre-lube the screw. I prefer to use Permatex anti-seize paste, it stays on and is there when you need it.

To obtain a longer reach cranker ask the salvage man if anything from a lite duty pick-up is available. I know Ford Ranger uses a long reach, but it inserts into screw jack. Not my favorite, however with heat, a vise and some sledge, you might be able to fashion a suitable hook to engage with the many scissor jacks that use a loop and hook.

Never the worry of a seal leak either.

Try to remember before you place the jack that it is far, far better to have the bad tire and jack on the high side. In other words, if you're facing uphill, sitting on the side of a crowned road, with right rear flat, you are pretty much asking the jack to raise the entire car. (I've spent a lot of years out on the highways A LOT) Consider manipulating your crippled vehicle to A. a flat level surface or B. use the hill to your advantage by repositioning the car. Also when chocking the other end I find it useful to employ my other scissor jack lying on its side. (Hey they don'i weigh much and ya never know)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:42 PM   #12
19Fordy

Old Henry, Here's a jack that will work for you. A bit pricey,but fits under short spaces.
http://www.moal.com/02_prod/sub_05.html
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #13
outlaw

I would recommend that you go buy one of the newer aluminum hydraulic jacks. They are light weight & on wheels so you can roll it under your car & position the head where you want to lift & not get dirty. The handles come off for storage which makes them compact to store in your trunk. They come in several sizes & ton capacities. Every one sells them anymore even Lowes has them. You can even find them up here for under $100.00 at times. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #14
petehoovie

As seen from '19Fordy's' link above

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Kahuna

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/12v-...-car-jack.html
Another reason for 12 volts
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Old Henry, Here's a jack that will work for you. A bit pricey,but fits under short spaces.
http://www.moal.com/02_prod/sub_05.html
deleted

Last edited by 40cpe; 03-28-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: worthless comment
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #17
john in illinois

I carry a scissor jack from Northern tool in my model A. I have used it in my shop for practice.Handy. Luckily 22,000 miles and haven't needed it on the road except to adjust a front wheel bearing.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1750_200641750

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #18
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
To avoid crawling around on wet or muddy pavement carry a small blue tarp in your tool box or in the tool tray of your old Ford. Open it up , slide it under the car, and now you can crawl under without getting wet or dirty. You can buy the small ones(usually 8X10) for a nominal amount of money.
I carry cardboard for my roadside repairs. Cardboard insulates the cold ground, makes it easy to find dropped bolts, and saves the elbows and knees from the gravel. A small screw jack with a collapsible long handle and a block of wood works for me.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #19
Old Henry

Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas.

Like many that suggested a scissor jack, I, too, thought that would be the way to go after I couldn't fit my bottle jack under the front anything to change the front tire on my previous road trip. So, I went to Pep Boys and bought a nice new one since it was very low and would fit under the front. When I got the flat tire Saturday I tried it under the rear wheel. Although it fit under very nicely, the problem was that it had no mechanical advantage at its bottom limit and, no matter how hard I tried to turn the crank to crank it up, it would not turn any more as soon as the weight of the car was on it. The mechanical advantage of those scissor jacks require them to be jacked up a bit before a load is on them. That's why I went looking for a short screw jack with a long handle.

Pursuant to several suggestions, I went to the wrecking yard today and found a nice new one for less than half of what a new one would be. Unfortunately, it is the same height as my bottle jack. I still bought it since it will be much easier to operate with the long crank handle than my bottle jack from under the car. I'll keep looking for a shorter one that will really work better.

Thanks again for all of the ideas.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #20
petehoovie

Capacity is 3000 lbs. Steel/aluminum construction 4 in. diameter rubber saddle pad. Lifting range: 3-1/2 in. - 14 in. Low profile and lightweight construction. Swivel ball bearing for easy positioning. Exceptional for vehicles that are low to the ground > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-3000-l...3D121934092633

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote