Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
tomkline

Default 1930 Truck VIN #

The wife and I just bought a 1930 closed cab truck. The title says it's a p/u. But the frame is an AA frame. The engine # on title does not match the engine number on the block. We have raised the cab and are looking for the number on the frame, no luck yet. We bought this out of an estate auction and we are having trouble getting the title transfered. The title was transfered to the deceased back in 1948, the woman at the dmv said she had never seen a title like it. Any help would be appreciated in trying to get me headed in the right direction. It is a very solid truck.
Thanks
tomkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: 1930 Truck VIN #

Do you have any pictures to post here? There is a BIG difference between and A pickup and a AA truck. The AA has two rear springs running parallel to the frame and connected on one end to a very heavy axle. The A pickup has a single spring running transverse to the frame.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Here is the frame number on my friend's AA frame. It's a 1929 if I recall correctly.
I lifted the left side of my 29 Tudor body and splash apron, but still couldn't find my number.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkline View Post
The wife and I just bought a 1930 closed cab truck. The title says it's a p/u. But the frame is an AA frame. The engine # on title does not match the engine number on the block. We have raised the cab and are looking for the number on the frame, no luck yet. We bought this out of an estate auction and we are having trouble getting the title transfered. The title was transfered to the deceased back in 1948, the woman at the dmv said she had never seen a title like it. Any help would be appreciated in trying to get me headed in the right direction. It is a very solid truck.
Thanks
Is your "1930 Closed Cab" body that of the 28-early 30 body or the mid-30-31 body style?

Tom shows a good photo on where the number is...You can also check out www.plucks329s.org Additional Studies/Letters, Numbers and Codes.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
tomkline

It does have springs that run parallel to the frame and also 20 inch tires.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
tomkline

Here are a couple of pics, notice the heavy spring in the first pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZ trip 198.jpg (63.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg AZ trip 197.jpg (58.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
juke joint johnny

NIce truck and Welcome !! I hope someone can help you sort this out .

John
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Here are a couple of pics, notice the heavy spring in the first pic.
Great looking truck Tom. Are you going to restore it? If not, clean it up good, check everything out and enjoy it as is...they are only original once.

It has some writing on the door? Original owner maybe? Get to know the history of this baby while you have that information...What a find!

Can you give us the name of the assembly plant it was built at? See my website.

Are you aware of the Ford Model AA Truck Club?

The website is www.fmaatc.org

If not well worth the time to join and get all the back issues of the club's magizine. Neil Wilson, who is the FORD AA GURU of truck stuff, has a yearly magizine that he puts out is FANTASTIC...Called the The Double A'er.

Can't say enough about what he contrubuites to us Ford AA guys out here.

Also, get a copy of the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards...well worth the money.

Also, might want to check out a Model A Ford club in your area if you are into that kind of thing.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 12-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Good looking 1930 AA flatbed.
It's just like the one I worked on, and I'd guess your's may have originally had duals.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
28-31

Quote:
The engine # on title does not match the engine number on the block. We have raised the cab and are looking for the number on the frame, no luck yet. We bought this out of an estate auction and we are having trouble getting the title transfered. The title was transfered to the deceased back in 1948...
I'm in Ohio too and while I cannot provide expert advice as to your problem, I can tell you from experience that resolving title issues in Ohio can be an adventure...to say the least.

Are you trying to transfer it in to Ohio from out of State?

If not and the title you mention that was issued in 1948 was issued by the State of Ohio, has the executor/executrix (or anyone with power-of-attorney for he estate) properly signed that title over to you?

If it's an Ohio title, you shouldn't have to go through the VIN verification process in order to get it transferred into your name. ...although you would still have your current "numbers don't match" problem, which could (as I'm sure you know) complicate any future sale...especially if sold outside of Ohio.
28-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
tomkline

Yes it is an out of state, Michigan. It was signed over out of a trust after the auction and Ohio says that it can't done that way, so for the present I am going through the auction company and see if they can get it straight. For now we would just like to get it running and make sure everything works. Already found out that the gas tank is shot. Will a 28 or 29 tank work with a 30?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
28-31

Quote:
Yes it is an out of state, Michigan. It was signed over out of a trust after the auction and Ohio says that it can't done that way, so for the present I am going through the auction company and see if they can get it straight.
Sounds like you probably already know, but when you bring a car into Ohio from out of state, the first thing they make you do is get the VIN/serial # verified by the State Highway Patrol or other authorized agent. They won't give you the necessary form to get the title transferred into your name, if the VIN on the title doesn't match what's on the vehicle.
28-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Yes it is an out of state, Michigan. It was signed over out of a trust after the auction and Ohio says that it can't done that way, so for the present I am going through the auction company and see if they can get it straight. For now we would just like to get it running and make sure everything works. Already found out that the gas tank is shot. Will a 28 or 29 tank work with a 30?
You'll need a 1930 or 1931 gas tank.