Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2024, 09:51 PM   #1
fordblitz

Default Waltham vs Stewart Warner speedometer faces- WW2 4 speed trucks

Good Day,

I have noted differences between the faces of Stewart Warner and Waltham 60 MPH speedometers fitted to large 1940’s trucks with the 4 speed transmission.

I have a good working Waltham speedometer fitted to my 1942 Ford CMP truck. For some unknown reason a previous owner fitted a Stewart Warner face to it which involved drilling 3 extra holes on it.

A good mate found me a Waltham speedometer face recently at a swap meet so now to make a good correct decal for it. The face had a poorly made vinyl sticker on it and it was a Stewart Warner type. I noticed most aftermarket decals are for the Stewart Warner type.

Some of the differences I found while looking at Waltham 4 speed truck speedometers on this forum and other sites such as the G503 Jeep site:

The spacing is closer between the marks on the right side between the 50 and 60 mph marks on a Waltham, in fact it is the same spacing as the left side of both Waltham and SW types between 0 and 10 mph. The 10 mph and 50 mph numerals are at the same vertical position on the Waltham but not on the SW type.

The 30-mph numeral is placed dead center at the top on the Waltham but off center on a SW. The zero is closer to the radial marks on a Waltham.

At least the steel faceplates are identical size on both brands and only the mounting holes are different. The odometer aperture is slightly narrower, and slightly higher on the face of a Waltham. I was able to scan my SW faceplate to get the common artwork and sizes such as the concentric rings, numerals, marks, and lettering to replicate a Waltham face.

I have one question before I commit it to decal paper.

The shift points sectors appear to be a cream colour or light yellow in various photos I have seen. With age and fading it is hard to say but I don't think it would be too yellow. Perhaps the same cream as the bezel?

Can anyone confirm what it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waltham decal TEST - Copy.jpg (76.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by fordblitz; 03-30-2024 at 10:02 PM.
fordblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:07 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Waltham vs Stewart Warner speedometer faces- WW2 4 speed trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordblitz View Post

I have one question before I commit it to decal paper.

The shift points sectors appear to be a cream colour or light yellow in various photos I have seen. With age and fading it is hard to say but I don't think it would be too yellow. Perhaps the same cream as the bezel?

Can anyone confirm what it is?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:52 PM   #3
fordblitz

Well, I finally finished the speedometer face decal for my Ford CMP truck.

I used my best judgement to get the color of the shift zones and settled on one close to the cream color of the bezel.

I added the "Waltham" logo as some Waltham speedometers had it and some did not. Nice to know what brand it is from the front. I also confirmed that some WW2 CMP's had the logo on the face.

Shown is the development:

First photo is a Waltham face with a poor-quality vinyl sticker applied which a mate found for me at a swap meet.

The second photo is the Stewart Warner face that a previous owner attached to my Waltham case for some unknown reason. Note the extra holes drilled in it to make it fit. The bottom photo is the correct Waltham face with the vinyl sticker removed and my decal applied. A coat of clear satin acrylic on it protects the decal and give it a similar sheen to the NOS gauges in the cluster.

Hope this is of some interest to Flathead Ford large truck enthusiasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0213.jpg (42.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0100.jpg (50.6 KB, 25 views)
fordblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:51 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordblitz View Post
Well, I finally finished the speedometer face decal for my Ford CMP truck.

I used my best judgement to get the color of the shift zones and settled on one close to the cream color of the bezel.

I added the "Waltham" logo as some Waltham speedometers had it and some did not. Nice to know what brand it is from the front. I also confirmed that some WW2 CMP's had the logo on the face.

Shown is the development:

First photo is a Waltham face with a poor-quality vinyl sticker applied which a mate found for me at a swap meet.

The second photo is the Stewart Warner face that a previous owner attached to my Waltham case for some unknown reason. Note the extra holes drilled in it to make it fit. The bottom photo is the correct Waltham face with the vinyl sticker removed and my decal applied. A coat of clear satin acrylic on it protects the decal and give it a similar sheen to the NOS gauges in the cluster.

Hope this is of some interest to Flathead Ford large truck enthusiasts.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:03 PM   #5
Newc

Looks good My Blitz uses the Ford gage also Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote