Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
Ricosan

Default Looking for reliable shop

Hey Guys,

A big thank you to all of you for your help and advise over the past few years I’ve been enjoying doing my own work since I took delivery of my 1933 woodie last January.
About the wagon. The wagon had 9 miles on the odometer when it was delivered. Initially it wouldn’t start and I was afraid the battery wouldn’t last but it finally started. I piled my wife and best buddy in for our first drive. We got about a half mile from home and it stalled in the middle of a four lane street. Two hours later, tow truck arrived. Only the beginning of many more such episodes.
Cosmetically the wagon is absolutely a solid 10 inside and out. I managed to take it to one show last fall when it was running well and it got “best in show”. The rest of the wagon - not so good.
The engine was built by H&H flatheads, transmission by Vanpelt, Lincoln brakes, F100 steering box, overdrive by the late Dan Krehbell. It should be a fantastic driver! however drivability is the issue. It sucks.
Poor starting, screeching shackles, no seal in the clam shell, loose drive train (splines, differential?) unsafe and hard steering, bad brakes, constant gas smell.
I bought the car without driving it first. Big mistake. Having only 9 miles on the odometer should have been a red flag but my last 2 purchases of antique cars turned out fine. I was thinking that with this many outstanding parts on the wagon, surely it would be a great driver. Lesson learned.
As I said I’ve been working on the car constantly with the help from you guys on the barn, repairing all of the little things that didn’t require heavy lifting, but drivability still sucks.
I am ready to ship the car to a knowledgeable and reliable shop in the south eastern US that can help sort out the drivability issues and make this car into what it was meant to be.
Anyone know of such a shop?
Richard
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Looking for reliable shop

When are you wanting to send car.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:10 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Hey Guys,
I am ready to ship the car to a knowledgeable and reliable shop in the south eastern US that can help sort out the drivability issues and make this car into what it was meant to be.
Anyone know of such a shop?
Richard

Richard ..... If "KiWinUS" (hereby known as Tony) is making the offer that I THINK he is, you would be well-advised to send that car to him and allow him to perform his magic. Tony is more than qualified to turn that car into a safe, dependable and enjoyable treasure. Tony just recently retired from the strenuous life of professional NASCAR motorsport racing as the Assembly Shop Manager at Roush Fenway Racing in North Carolina. Not only is he aware of what a quality automobile is, he's well into decades of understanding and building these old Fords that we all love. I would have no problem with sending ANY old Ford to Tony, asking him only to "FIX IT", with the expectation that it will be returned, "ready to roll" in perfect
style. You will find nobody more qualified to handle the task at hand. Send him a PM!!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
Newc

Young student mechanics are NOT taught our vintage vehicles- Shame. My business idea is 'Exempt Motors Repair' 1974 and earlier ONLY. In Oregon '74 is the DEQ cut off date. Would be busy from Opening day, especially with the new EV regulations. Our engine overhaul shops are Buried with work. Go ahead run with this idea. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:45 PM   #5
Ricosan

PM sent. Thanks Coop.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:51 PM   #6
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

We are pretty lucky down here in New Zealand.
It's a small country and we are well served by many people that know older vehicles and their maintenance.
Go with Tony.
SwoopNZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Richard ..... If "KiWinUS" (hereby known as Tony) is making the offer that I THINK he is, you would be well-advised to send that car to him and allow him to perform his magic. Tony is more than qualified to turn that car into a safe, dependable and enjoyable treasure. Tony just recently retired from the strenuous life of professional NASCAR motorsport racing as the Assembly Shop Manager at Roush Fenway Racing in North Carolina. Not only is he aware of what a quality automobile is, he's well into decades of understanding and building these old Fords that we all love. I would have no problem with sending ANY old Ford to Tony, asking him only to "FIX IT", with the expectation that it will be returned, "ready to roll" in perfect
style. You will find nobody more qualified to handle the task at hand. Send him a PM!!

Coop

Thanks for the kind words Coop you a pure Gentleman. I have spoken with the OP. I am covered up with a couple of engines and a huge job doing a front and rear suspension upgrade on a model A roadster along with adding a Halibrand quick change with a German ZF locker in it adding 40 Ford hydraulic brakes along with a Winfield carburetor mounted on top of the Arron Lovelace blower. Has a B engine with original Miller OHV conversion. However I have agreed to get the 33 Woody straightend out next. Again Thanks Coop.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Thanks for the kind words Coop you a pure Gentleman. I have spoken with the OP. I am covered up with a couple of engines and a huge job doing a front and rear suspension upgrade on a model A roadster along with adding a Halibrand quick change with a German ZF locker in it adding 40 Ford hydraulic brakes along with a Winfield carburetor mounted on top of the Arron Lovelace blower. Has a B engine with original Miller OHV conversion. However I have agreed to get the 33 Woody straightend out next. Again Thanks Coop.

Hey Tony ..... Ya know, I've learned from the best of 'em how to embellish stuff, or even make it up from scratch when necessary! Nevertheless, I'm sure that Richard is in excellent hands THIS TIME, and I'm happy that you's two came to terms. That's gonna be one fine little ol' wagon once you eradicate all the bugs & gremlins!

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-02-2023, 07:32 AM   #9
Ricosan

Thanks Coop.
Tony and I spoke yesterday and we set a date 6 or 8 weeks from now as soon as he finishes the projects he’s working on. I’m excited to finally get my wagon looking as good on the “inside” as it looks on the outside!
Now I just need to find a reliable shipper to ship it from Tallahassee to Charlotte.
Richard
Old 05-02-2023, 09:08 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Great News! Glad to hear that Tony is going to work you in . . . shows the man has a big heart! He will get you sorted out. Keep us posted as this chapter of the saga unfolds.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:11 PM   #11
KiWinUS

Guys thanks for all the great words. I love a challenge and problem solving has been a specialty of mine for many years. Once we get started on Richard’s fine 33 I will keep all interested updated. Thanks all. Cheers
Tony.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:17 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thanks Coop.
Now I just need to find a reliable shipper to ship it from Tallahassee to Charlotte.
Richard
Richard ..... We recently sent our '37 Coupe to Ohio from Houston. We used "Passport Transport", and the service could not have been better. On time for both pick-up and delivery. Good quality truck and equipment, plus the cost was quite reasonable, too!

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 05-02-2023, 01:41 PM   #13
Ricosan

Coop, thanks for the for recommendation for a shipper. I’ll give them a call.
Richard
Old 05-03-2023, 04:43 AM   #14
Ziggster

Not that it is applicable to old Ford’s, but I’ve been hooked lately on Nick’s Garage on YouTube. He specializes mostly on vehicles from the muscle car era, but the same issue(s) abound. Folks from all over Canada/USA are sending him engines/vehicles to sort out. The knowledge he possesses with his over 50 years of experience is almost gone amongst today’s mechanics. It’s good to see him passing it on to the young guys in his shop but also to his many viewers. If you’re interested in seeing someone sort out such things, I highly recommend watching a few of his many vids. Link below:

https://youtube.com/@NicksGarage
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:31 AM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Coop, thanks for the for recommendation for a shipper. I’ll give them a call.
Richard
Richard, Like Coop had advised and in my lengthy experience, Passport is THE only shipper I'd recommend.