Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #41
dschwartz

Default Re: H&H Flatheads

Thank you Ford barn for letting me post my problem on the forum and thank you for taking time to respond to my problem.
I learned a very expensive, and very frustrating experience when I purchased the 59AB block on Fordbarn.com.
I completely trusted the machine work that had been done on the block that resulted in total disaster. I am going forward, end of story.
dschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #42
Fe26

I might have hoped you learned a bit more than just the engineering side of the story.
Your call on H&H was ignorant and uncalled for. One that in a more reasonable person should have resulted in your acknowledgement that your outburst was wrong.

I see you have learned nothing from this forum and this discussion.

To blame others for your mistake is the height of churlishness, to then seek to appear somewhat reasonable but at the same time still comment in an underhanded way about the quality of the engineering is plumbing depths of snide rudeness.

You won't move on because that quality is not in you. You will always badmouth others for your mistakes, because that's what snide rude people do.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #43
296 V8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwartz View Post
Beware of H&H Flatheads.
I Dan Schwartz bought from Jody Martin a 59AB block that was repaired and machine by H&H Flatheads of La Crescenta, Ca.

The motor has been used for about two thousands miles with the results of:
  • Eight sleeves that were installed and bored and honed were done incorrect which has resulted in heavy blow by and excessive oil use. The sleeves have moved down in the block two thousands of an inch. The metal in sleeve no 2 cylinder has failed with small patched of voids in the cylinder walls. Water is leaking into cylinders 1 and 2.
  • The sealer paint that was used was done wrong which resulted in the paint flaking and got into the oil passages.
H&H will not stand behind there work and refuses to compensate me for my loses.

Is there documentation H&H even did the block or was this just a claim of the seller “Jody”
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #44
dschwartz

Yes I have the Repair Order from H&H Flatheads
dschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #45
felix37

Unless dschwartz is a professional engine builder and could PROVE that he made no mistakes in the build of his engine,I believe Mike at H&H is owed an apology!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #46
OldDad

H&H took a pair of trash-ready Evans heads I brought in and resurrected them for a price that was unfairly low. I had to give them a bit more and many thanks. Took a little longer than anticipated, and I'm willing to wait for good work. My 2/100ths!
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #47
Lawrie

I get stuff from H&H for my flatheads.
I got a blower kit ,stroker crank and rods etc for the blown eng in our rail a few years back, That thing has done the job first class.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #48
52merc

so you brought the engine off ford barn???? not h&h,,v did you get reciepts for work done with h&h headings?? i think your barking up the wrong tree
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #49
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschwartz View Post
Thank you Ford barn for letting me post my problem on the forum and thank you for taking time to respond to my problem.
I learned a very expensive, and very frustrating experience when I purchased the 59AB block on Fordbarn.com.
I completely trusted the machine work that had been done on the block that resulted in total disaster. I am going forward, end of story.

Well, I think what you should have said is that you completely trusted Jody and what he was selling and not the machine work or the machinist.

I've been at this a long a time and I can't tell you how many "rebuilt" or completely machined blocks, short blocks, engines I've looked at. Unless I've did the work myself, they are all used flatheads not worth much until they are completely checked out.

Just becasue Jody has a receipt, doesn't mean all sorts of bad stuff wasn't done to that block over the course of those five years it sat around.

Your beef is with Jody or someone else who fooled with the block either before you got it or after you got it.

Jeez, this thread has gone from bad to worse.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #50
gerrald meacham

what does jody have to say , he looks like the missing link , lets here from jody.JODY ARE YOU LISTNING??????
gerrald meacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #51
Don W/Norfolk

Why don't we just let this thread die a long overdue and merciful death. Surely we all have something better to do than rehash the rehash and speculate on the speculated. dw
Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #52
gerrald meacham

You are right
gerrald meacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #53
felix37

The funny thing about this thread is,dshwartz tried to make H&H Flatheads look bad and it back fired! The majority of this thread has complemented H&H on their great work and business ethics. You can't buy that kind of advertising!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #54
John Kennedy

I've never dealt with H&H, but was impressed at a show we were all at. I look forward to two things:
Having the money to get my 59A going
Handing said money to Mike to help accomplish this.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #55
Tinker

I bought some heads from H&H. Ordered a set online, called them to talk about shipping and they advised me to buy another set that was better for my application. They were right.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 AM   #56
max sr

My name is Max Herman Sr. from H & H, and the father of Mike ( H & H Flatheads) and Max III ( H & H Antique-4 Bangers ). I have been building engines for over 40 years and was tought and mentor by Joe Gemsa, Kong Jackson & Wes Copper from the late 60's.

We have a shop that is a specialty shop for Ford's that has equipment that no other shop employs and is strictly for what we do.

I generally do not reply to this type of post yet prefer to observe and give info or suggetions that may be helpful or informative, BUT after watching all the prior posts, all of which are favorable, I feel compelled to address the root of this issue and conduct of Schwartz as it pertians to our shop and specifically my Mike.

We operate our shop as a family buisness and have family values and history attached to every engine or part we build or manufacture including our SCoT Blowers, Navarro Cylinder head and manifols, our Bonnevillle recording setting 4 bangers, 471 Blower Drive assemblies as well as all the R & D to supply the Ford hobbiest with the best products that can be produced.

Our engines are all built as if they were our own and our customer needs at all times are at the top of the list, and this includes multiple Q & A daily on the phone despite it being a customer or a mere inquiry for help, opinion or suggestions.

We have always adhered to this policy and always worked with our customers as to any issues that may come up. There is not finger pointing, simply analysis, education and resolution to satisfy our customers. And this is our governing principles of which my sons and I
apply to every day.

I find Schwartz comments DECEPTIVE, LESS THAN FORTHCOMING,
INUENDO RIDDEN WITH MALICE AND MALICIUOS BASES FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF EXTRACTING MONETARY RENUMERATION.

It has taken me a few days and a few reads to digest the Schwartz comments etc and I will list the facts as supported by Scharwtz's comments and his slippery slope of lack of answering direct questions either by failure to reply or alluding to repetative dribble and self empithy.

The facts as I know them:

5-2006--59A flathead block machined for Martin:
Hotank, Mag,Crack Repair, 8 Sleeves, 16 Valve Seats ( 1.5 &
1.6 ) Resurface Block & PRESSURE TEST & CERAMICALLY
PRESSURE SEAL BLOCK w/ IRONTITE .

6-17-2011--letter sent to H & H -actually received approx 6-20-2011

THIS IS THE 1ST AND ONLY COMMUNICATION WITH SCHWARTZ
ABOUT THIS ENGINE

The letter states " the motor has been used for ABOUT 2000
MILES"..."Sleeves have moved .002"..."water is leaking into
cylinders 1 & 2."

" I want to be compensated for my loses that has resulted in
finding an other block and having that block machined"

"I will be coming to Anahiem June 25 for a car show I could
bring you the block."

" IF I DO NOT HEAR FROM YOU BY JUNE 25 I AM GOING PUBLIC"

5-24-2010 to 7-1-2011

Schwartz has started 15 threads and 32 posts a number of which
are " what is it worth " type questions.

The following posts are from Schwartz and by his own posting show
the issues he had and the deceptive nature of his reeplys and posts.

5-26-2010 ( 1 year & 2months ago )
"problem 59ab modified flathead...three 97,...Offenhauser heads...Malory ignition...I have about 1000 miles on motor and it has a little blow by...cast iron rings...I was getting water in cylinders. I ...put in alumaseal and that stopped the water problem in the left bank...I still have water in number 1 and 3 cylinders... .

As Schwartz has stated on 5-2011 "1000 miles..." "water in number 1 and 3..." and on 6-2011 "2000 miles..." "water ...cylinders 1 and 2"

Schwartz never purchased any parts for this engine from H & H nor has he ever identified who or where the engine was assembled. Quite odd he never brings Martin into the alleged warranty issue nor did he ever cleary state that he bought the engine from Martin via the Ford Barn.

His comments are sinister and self serving to simply attempt to produce a Buisness Interuption via Internet Blackmail and with a younger person in the industry it becomes real easy to shake them down via media comments being either defamitory or liabelous and predatory.

The reason I spoke of CERAMICALLY PRESSURE SEALED IRONTITE is basically we are the only shop that I know of that has made all the pressure plates for v/8 60's to v/12 Linclons that allow us to Ceramically seal the cooling system of the engines at 180 degrees and 20 lbs pressure that well exceed the radiater systems of these engines with a final test of 60 lbs.

That being said, there exists multiple unsolved mystery questions of which are not addressed by Schwartz as to the assembly procedures etc. other than putting Alumaseal in a apparent blown head gasket engine.

It does not take a professional to assemble an engine BUT you must approach it in a professional manner & the 1st step is knowing your limitations and seeking professional advice ( and I don't mean from the 3 most illusive people Bro, Homey or MY Buddy ) from people in the industry and taking responsibility for your own actions or lack of.

This is why we pride ourselves in talking to all that call regardless of there status, customer or not, as well as the multiple shop mini tours we give to any one that comes by at any time. Yes it is time consuming but it is also a ton of fun to give up some insight or knowledge to guys with an interest.

Fe26 ( Sydney Australia ) I agree 100% with you and your post to the back door woah is me post by Schwartz.

I fully hope this puts and end to the self serving malicious comments of Schwartz and his in vien attempt to disparage & shake down H & H.

I appreciate the reponses and support and your patience with my long post.

And with out hesitation our doors are always open and if we can help give us a call.

I support and commend my boys Max III & MIke on their work ethic and continuing development of engines and products.

Thanks for the forum Max Sr.
max sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #57
V8COOPMAN

Well put, Max! DD
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #58
1931 flamingo

Enlighten me please. How could the sleeves moving .002 cause all these problems??? How do sleeves "move"??? >002 is NOT very much.
Thank you, Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #59
flatheadernie

Fe26, Well said mate, wish I had you on my side last divorce. LOL, Max Sr well I worked in a family buisness ( dad, mom, myself, 3 sons), for 33 yrs and I feel your pain and understand your pride. God Bless ernie n tx.
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #60
flatheadernie

Ryan, Thank you for letting this thread play out tho at some times it seemed it might go off topic, I think it has served the indviduals and industry fairly, again Ryan thank you, ernie n tx ( Chicken Coop) 46.
flatheadernie is offline   Reply With Quote