Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Thunderbird 312 to 302

I'm trying to convert my 56 bird from a 312 with a 2 speed automatic to a 302 with an AOD. The 312 bolts front to back and the 302 bolts side to side. I don't want to destroy the frame to make this fit. I'm just looking to put a better engine and transmission in it. Any help would be appreciated.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Thunderbird 312 to 302

call some of the hot rod manufactors listed in the hot rod magazines, tci, fat mans and chassis engineering in Ia. there # is 319 643 2645, be sure and tell them what car your working on

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Randy,

I would suggest you sit back and carefully consider this conversion. Add up the cost of making the change (especially if you intend to farm out the work) and also consider the reduced value if the car if you ever sell it. Compare this with the cost of having the Y block and automatic transmission properly rebuilt. The Y block is basically a sound engine and going to a 302 would only result in a slight improvement. If you were going to a 460 Ford I could understand the logic of increased performance. Of course the AOD is a better transmission but I have put a lot of miles on a ’57 Bird with automatic and don’t have any complaints. You would have to do a lot of driving to make the AOD pay for itself. As you discuss this conversion with various people remember to consider carefully at the recommendations of anyone who is trying to sell you something. You might also attend a few car shows and find a T Bird with a later engine and listen to people’s reactions as they walk by the car. Ask what he conversion has done to the value of the vehicle and you might be surprised. I may come across as a “purist” with an agenda. Deep down I may be have a little “purist” in my blood but that in itself doesn’t mean that my recommendations are not valid. To put my background in perspective, I am not a member any of the T Bird clubs and have my Bird because I enjoy driving it. My car is definitely not a show car nor would I ever want to own a show car. That’s just my opinion for what its worth.

Charlie Stephens

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

I also think that it is a bad move. The 312 can/will run circles around the 302 and there are all sorts of improved parts available these days, including a rear main seal. The Y block has been given a lot of scrutiny over the past few years and aftermarket parts support is growing.

If the tranny is a problem, there are now adapters to use the C4 and AOD also I believe.

Should you decide to get rid of the 312 Id be interested in buying it for a pickup project.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

there is nothing wrong with the 312, except it is one of the most expensive motors to work on and get parts for, if you want to stay stock thats fine, but if you want an engine thats easy to work on and parts are in every wrecking yard go with the 302, a 302 with 289 heads with 351 valves installed will give you over 300 horses, a stock 289 will develope 271 horses with a 4 bbl carb and 10 to one compression, the 289 heads give more compression than the 302, and the 289 heads have adjustable rocker arms so you have to decide what way you want to go, and the 302 is liter

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Charlie,

I understand what you are saying, but my wife and I are planning a long trip in the Bird. I was looking at the ease of getting parts should something go wrong (ie. water pump). I would never get rid of the 312 and transmission (the next owner of the car may want it). What I am looking for is how the motor would mount to the frame. Also, how the stearing linkage would fit past the exhast manafold. Any ideas?

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

If you are intent on realy messing up the value of your T-bird, forget a 302. Put a 351 winsdor in it. It has more power and torque than a 302. There is a little more to a 271 horse 289 than compresson. It had a special solid lifter cam shaft with screw in studs. The 271 horse was a high output engine. Most 4 barrel 289 were 225 horse power engines. You will be better satisfied with a 351W and an AOD trans in your bird.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

There is no need to worry about the 312 on long trips.I have a 57 Bird and live in the Chicago area, and have drivin my Bird to New Orleans and North Dakota as well as upstate New York with no problem at all.I have upgraded my engine with alternator and electronic ignition,new plug wires,all this cost me about 275.00.I say stay with the 312.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #9

If reliability is the gating item then put in a SBC; crate engines are so cheap they are hard to ignore.

OTOH if you are lucky enough to own a $30K or more 57 Bird and cant afford carrying some expendables such as starter/genny then Ive got to wonder a bit???

Anything besides a Y in an early Bird is a sacrilege. And this is from someone who stuffed a 389 Poncho/tripower in a 55 back in 64.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #10

MERC, MERC, MERC, Repeat after me "In the furture If it tends to incrimanate me I will not tell everything I know".

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #11

Heck we were all young once! Ive just sort of made the full circle and its not all around my waist.

I still build flatheads!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #12

Yea, I had a 32 3 window when I was in high school with a bad built merc flathead. My brother had a 409 62 chevy. He wrecked the chevy I put 409 in 32. Dad had an absolute fit. Made me put flathead back in 32.