Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default How to "freshen up" a 47 tranny?

I've just removed my tranny with my drive line to find the cause of my vibration and think I'd like to "freshen" it up by replacing all worn spacers, bushings, seals etc. Other than the actual gears which I probably won't replace, what else would you recommend replacing that wears out?

(Found badly disintegrated U-joint that's probably the primary cause of my vibration here. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132859)

Here's a diagram so you can identify by part number what I should replace:

Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
fordy_nine

Default Re: How to "freshen up" a 47 tranny?

Buy Mac Van Pelt's book on transmissions and go from there............Bob L
fordy_nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy_nine View Post
Buy Mac Van Pelt's book on transmissions and go from there............Bob L
Thanks. Just called and left a message for him.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
cmbrucew

Prof.

Wash and inspect all bearings and the shafts they mate with, inside and outside diameters. The cluster gear also has bearings.
If you can source a USA made release bearing, replace it.
Check for wear on the front bearing retainer 7050 and hub 7561.
Replace synchronizers 7107 and thrust washer 7071.
Check drive gear 7017 for spline wear and the inside surface for main shaft bearing 7118.
Side cover, remove shift forks, check bushings, and replace seals.
All new gaskets and I like #2 permatex on the ends of the cluster shaft and reverse idler shaft.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
rotorwrench

Ditto on the book from Mac. When I freshen one up I generally replace all the bearings. If the shafts & gears are good, they go right back in. Synchro rings need scrutiny. The low reverse gear is sometimes chewed up pretty bad and that part of the cluster gets damaged along with it. Your case needs a check for cracks between the counter shaft & main at the front and you also need to check the condition of the countershaft thrust face at the back. Mac has a shim kit to properly shim the cluster at the back of the case there.

Mac's book helps you ID pretty much every part in these old cog boxes and will be very good to inform you with the knowledge needed during the whole procedure. There is a lot of first hand experience in that book.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Terry,OH

Clutch, Pressure Plate, Pilot bearing, Throw out Bearing, 7052 Seal, Syncro Rings 7107, Bearings (2)7118, 7121, 7025, 7065, Front thrust washer 7119, Rear thrust washer 7129, U-Joint, Torque tube front bearing, race and seal.
All the above have wear issues. Do a complete inspection of everything else including using a caliper or micrometer. This will keep the car going for your trips without further break down due to wear. How many miles do you put on your car each year?
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
don-wi

I bought the book from Mac and did my transmission a couple years ago. The bushings for the shaft for the t.o. bearing were worn and I replaced them. If your transmission was shifting good I would not replace the sycro's unless you can find some NOS stuff. Most of the guys I talked to said that the new repro's are worse than a set of used ones.
don-wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
sidevalve8ba

All the above advice is good. Mac VanPelt's book is a big help and he is a good source of replacement bearings, shims, etc.

I might also recommend the replacement Lincoln u-joint. It has needle bearings instead of bushings. It's smoother and lasts longer. I think they are available from Bob Drake.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

OH,
Mac VanPelts book is a GREAT investment......Be extremely critical of the
cluster gear thrust faces in the case....especially the rear face. This face must
be smooth with no steps or gouging. If this face is not right it will in short order
tear up a new rear thrust washer.
Only my opinion here but I would change the syncros ,Mac has the right ones
and I do also. Ideally the fit of 2nd gear on the output shaft should be about .0015.
I always rebush 2nd gear and fit to the output shaft. Endplay of 2nd is .007 to .009,
this is more critical than you might think. I still like the non needle bearing universals,
I've changed a few NEW made Lincoln u'joints which failed in less than 5,000 miles.
Good luck and get
back on the road...
more photo essays
please,
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
grumpys hot rods

SUBSCRIBED. Lots of good advice in this thread.
2XX
Good luck and get
back on the road...
more photo essays
please,
grumpys hot rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
zzlegend

Just rebuilt my 47 trans 4 weeks ago. Called mac with my parts list as I all ready had his assembly book. New bearings, synchro rings, oil baffles and 3 caged bearings, gasket set and definitely snap rings. Also for sure you should get the thrust washers. And if you don't have them all ready, get a pair of snap ring pliers. You are going to need them. I just called yesterday and ordered parts for a 50 trans that I am doing now. A good point that was mentioned above is look a t the case once it is apart. My 50 trans had very sever damage at the rear thrust washer area and I had to replace it. Lucky I had another top loader case that was perfect. He gives great step by step instructions in his book. Good luck with it.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
Fred A

Don't be too quick to replace the snap rings as some are too thin and the bearing retainer will not hold the bearing tightly, allowing the bearing to creep in the case and add to the end play. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Clutch, Pressure Plate, Pilot bearing, Throw out Bearing, 7052 Seal, Syncro Rings 7107, Bearings (2)7118, 7121, 7025, 7065, Front thrust washer 7119, Rear thrust washer 7129, U-Joint, Torque tube front bearing, race and seal.
All the above have wear issues. Do a complete inspection of everything else including using a caliper or micrometer. This will keep the car going for your trips without further break down due to wear. How many miles do you put on your car each year?
Thanks for all of that info. It's very helpful.
Recently I'm pushing 18,000 miles per year.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
Ross F-1

Ditto on the case thrust face advice. Mine was trashed when the thrust washer spun. MacVP can re-machine it but it ain't cheap.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
rotorwrench

Some of the early transmissions have snap rings that have an angled cut through making it near impossible to get them off but with the big plier handle type snap ring pliers they can be wrestled off. If you are fortunate, it will have the straight cut rings. I guess they figured the mechanics could pry up on the inward sloped end of the cut and work it out of the groove but these are some big thick snap rings and they don't bend easy. The good type pliers are still carried by Snap On but I don't know if your local tool supply will have them or not. Mac or other vendors are usually aware of this and can sell you straight cut rings to replace the angle cut type. It makes the job easier for sure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
Old Henry

Just had my chat with Mac VanPelt who's sending his book and a load of parts to put in my tranny, drive line, and clutch. He had some great practical advice too.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #17
russcc

Someone wisely recommended USA made bearings. Tough to find NOS, but worth the effort. I would start will Fred at South Side Obsolete, or try Then & Now in Weymouth MA, ask for Tony or the owner Tom. SSO goes by Ford part number, T&N by application and not a real Ford expert like Fred. Keep that car rolling to all those great spots like Rt 12 in Utah.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #18
Bolts

Don't know if the bearings you have in the cluster gear are caged or not, but if not I would recommend changing them to the caged type if they are available. Will save a lot of trouble.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
cmbrucew

Bolts

That would take all the fun out of the job.
Ever build a bw 4 speed? those are really fun.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #20
Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Bolts

That would take all the fun out of the job.
Ever build a bw 4 speed? those are really fun.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
Maybe that's where I ran into all those loose needles. My son had a 4 speed in his old 55 Chev. I finally resorted to wheel bearing grease to hold the needles inside a dry, clean cluster gear and oiled the shaft. Slipped right together (almost first time, or maybe tenth time- can't remember how many), but it did go-EVENTYUALLY.