Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Anyone tried this speaker?

For my 47 sedan, Mac's has this new stereo speaker that looks to fit in the place of the stock speaker above the radio. Question is whether the magnets would hit the radio. Anyone tried them and know? http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_me...ford-only.html It would sure be nice to hear both stereo tracks out of my speaker instead of just one of them as I now get.

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-22-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Lanny

Default Re: Anyone tried this speaker?

Take this Modification over to the HAMB

Old 03-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
ford38v8

I'm deeef in my left ear anyway so no matter.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
okiedokie

I have it in my 40. Seems fine to me.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedokie View Post
I have it in my 40. Seems fine to me.
Is the speaker and radio in your 40 as close as in my 47? You can see the 47 radio actually has an indentation in the top of it for the speaker magnet to fit into.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
41ford1

I have one in the Courier. It sounds OK. The stereo effect is minimal because the speakers are so close together.
You might have some interference when mounting. The speaker magnets will be on each side of the pocket in the radio case.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Old Henry

Thanks for the response.

I'm not really trying to get the stereo effect as much as just wanting to hear both stereo tracks. I just put a bunch of vintage Beatles on my mp3 player and the tracks are extremely separated. Since only one track plays on my speaker it sounds real weird to just be getting that one. Sometimes only instrumental without vocal or vice versa. Just not the old familiar Beatles tunes I'm used to.

I've tried combining both tracks by jumping between the two wires but it causes too much distortion. I even tried combining the tracks on the computer but a lot of fidelity was lost so I'm stuck with playing through two speakers to get the full sound. I've tried to figure out how to get two speakers in the space of the original and was pretty excited to stumble on this one from Mac's that does just that.

I guess I'll get this speaker from Mac's and see if it will fit and how it sounds and let you know.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Sounds like a plan but from my experience sometimes the two sides of the track are recorded at different sound levels and you may still get the same effect with two speakers.
Don't now if your player has one but you may need something to balance the levels, if there is such a thing.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Sounds like a plan but from my experience sometimes the two sides of the track are recorded at different sound levels and you may still get the same effect with two speakers.
Don't now if your player has one but you may need something to balance the levels, if there is such a thing.
Good to think about but the tracks are well balanced played through headphones so I'm not too worried about that.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
okiedokie

Sorry, I missed that you were questioning fit, not pertinent to my installation.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
bk53

that stereo stuff is just a fad prof.
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
TJ

Why not put a pair of speakers in the front kick panels. It's easy to do and you will get the stereo effect. You can buy some nice 4" or 5" speakers at Walmart, Best Buy, e-Bay etc. Lot easier than crawling around under the dash trying to make something fit behind the radio. The speakers you are looking at are not that great and I took them out of my 40 and put a speaker in each kick panel. I also have my 41 pickup set up with the kick panel speakers.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Ken/Alabama

It ain't gonna fit. I had the original speaker in my 47 reconed. It's a very tight fit and not many if any of the aftermarket speakers will fit.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Teich

Have one in 48 sedan don't like it no bass, looking at the kick panel if I can mount one on either side. Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
Tudorp

These are a pair of speakers I am putting on the speaker shelf in my 53 Ford. The speakers in them are new, but not "hi-Fi" by no means, but not really looking for that in my Ford. I think they fit the era charm, and everyone loves them in my 53.
Tudorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teich View Post
Have one in 48 sedan don't like it no bass, looking at the kick panel if I can mount one on either side. Laurie
So, it didn't hit the radio? Fit and cleared above it?
So, I may have to decide whether to be able to hear both stereo tracks without bass or one only with bass?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
Teich

It is a customauto sound speaker with their radio, will take it out today or the next and measure it. It is really two 4" speakers wired left and right, so it will be stereo Laurie
Old 03-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #18
1937pickup

If you don't want to cut your car up-put speakers under the front seats pointing out.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
oldblue

WWe put one in my sons Merc . No noticeable stereo effect . After he blows it up we will try something different .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0583.jpg (44.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #20
Teich

I measured the magnets, they measure 2" out from face of speaker extend most of the length they are wide---extending to approx 1" from the mount hole at each end I guess I have to say they don't sound to bad these hearing aids sure change how things sound, on my own I turn the aids off and crank up the tunes until they sound good to me! Laurie
Old 03-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #21
Old Henry

Got the speaker(s) in, put it in, then held my breath while lifting the radio up into position hoping it wouldn't hit the speaker magnets. It didn't. HURRAY! Speakers sound great too, way better than the old stock one. They are actually a "two stage" speaker with a tweeter mounted above the larger cone and run through a capacitor to filter out the lower frequencies. Besides the much higher fidelity I finally get to hear both stereo channels (which was my main goal). The stereo effect is about the same as a boom box. And all of that coming out of my little 9 volt headphone amp:

A little installation tip for installing these and any speakers in the 46-48: There is no "surface" that the speaker mounts up against. It's just hanging "in the air" by its 4 screws. Thus, no "baffle" to keep the low frequencies from "cheating" around the edge of the speaker and canceling out behind. So, to prevent that and focus the low frequencies out into the car the edges of the speaker need to be sealed against the "surfaces" that are the back of the curved dash board. I did that by putting some thick weather stripping around edge the speaker, doubling up on the ends where the gap is huge. It all compressed when installed to a nice tight seal.

Last edited by Old Henry; 03-28-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #22
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorp View Post
These are a pair of speakers I am putting on the speaker shelf in my 53 Ford. The speakers in them are new, but not "hi-Fi" by no means, but not really looking for that in my Ford. I think they fit the era charm, and everyone loves them in my 53.
Hmmm i have a pair of these that i might have to use. Maybe some surround sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Got the speaker(s) in, put it in, then held my breath while lifting the radio up into position hoping it wouldn't hit the speaker magnets. It didn't. HURRAY! Speakers sound great too, way better than the old stock one. They are actually a "two stage" speaker with a tweeter mounted above the larger cone and run through a capacitor to filter out the lower frequencies. Besides the much higher fidelity I finally get to hear both stereo channels (which was my main goal). The stereo effect is about the same as a boom box. And all of that coming out of my little 9 volt headphone amp:

A little installation tip for installing these and any speakers in the 46-48: There is no "surface" that the speaker mounts up against. It's just hanging "in the air" by its 4 screws. Thus, no "baffle" to keep the low frequencies from "cheating" around the edge of the speaker and canceling out behind. So, to prevent that and focus the low frequencies out into the car the edges of the speaker need to be sealed against the "surfaces" that are the back of the curved dash board. I did that by putting some thick weather stripping around edge the speaker, doubling up on the ends where the gap is huge. It all compressed when installed to a nice tight seal.

Glad it worked out for you. Next you need a hidden ipod plug in system!

Last edited by Tinker; 03-29-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: sp: typing on a ipad sucks
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Next you need a hiden ipod plug in systen!
Everything is hidden - in the glove box. Nothing visible.